Might be purchasing a DSLR. Input goes here: - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Might be purchasing a DSLR. Input goes here: within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A refurb performed by Canon or Nikon means the camera is in theory literally good as new. Check the warranty ...

I Support ClubWRX
    A refurb performed by Canon or Nikon means the camera is in theory literally good as new. Check the warranty on refurbs. Some have a more limited warranty; others carry the full term regular manufacturer's warranty. Used gear will vary more in condition, so a refurb is IMO safer and at the very least it will be more consistent (they will all be similar in quality, condition, etc.).

EDIT: Also, I could swear the D5000 has a more conventional, less hold-your-hand menu system than the D3000. They will both come with the same kit lens but it is generally quite good IMO (the 18-55 or 18-55 VR depending on the particular kit).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmmmm.

Very interested in this used thing now. Those are solid prices.

So gently used Rebel XSI for $480 or Refurb D5000 for $520

Decisions, decisions.........
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I've said it for everything from car parts to clothing -- and seafood too!
    I love my Seattle seafood

Quote Originally Posted by DTR maxima View Post
    Which is a typically better to purchase; a refurb or a used?

I like the Rebel XSi in that link, but it seems silly to not get the D5000 for all the extra features and only $50 more.
    Generally speaking, refurbs have to be re-inspected by the manufacturer before they're resold, so often times the quality control process is actually more strict than if you buy brand new. So long as the warranty process is to your liking, I would never hesitate to go with a refurb.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post

Generally speaking, refurbs have to be re-inspected by the manufacturer before they're resold, so often times the quality control process is actually more strict than if you buy brand new. So long as the warranty process is to your liking, I would never hesitate to go with a refurb.

All refurbished units sold by Adorama Camera are factory refurbished by the manufacturer, for example, Canon cameras are refurbished at their manufacturing plant in Newport News, VA.; the room that houses Canon’s entire refurb process is said to be completely dust-free, and with every employee working in there being required to wear special booties!

They can have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if it hasn't passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used.

A refurb may also be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

All refurbished items will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

All Canon refurbished products from Adorama come with a 1 year return-to-Adorama warranty; the warranty we give covers anything the manufacturers warranty covers for a new unit, including shutter defects.
    All other refurbs sold by Adorama come with a 90-day return-to-manufacturer warranty.
    In addition, Refurbs come into us with the firmware updates and latest fixes which were carried out at whatever stage it was at when we took delivery. I hope this helps.

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool

Helen,
    welcome to ClubWRX

thank you for clarifying the info regarding refurbished camera equipment.

so do you own a subaru ?

Andy
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Helen,
    welcome to ClubWRX

thank you for clarifying the info regarding refurbished camera equipment.
    Thanks for the welcome; I'm always happy to help with info and / or after-sales support.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so do you own a subaru ?

Andy
    No; an ex of mine has a Forester (he's a bit of an action man, likes canoeing & camping & stuff so it suits him very well)

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    Thanks for the welcome; I'm always happy to help with info and / or after-sales support
    awesome
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

Awesome. So it turns out a refurb isn't a bad route to go.

I'm going to hunt around for a refurb on a Rebel XS/XSi/T1i or a D5000 and see what I can come up with.

I was really hoping to take advantage of Best Buy's 18 months 0% interest policy, but if I can get a refurb camera that is much better online for the same price as a bare-bones rebel XS at Best Buy it only seems smart to go with the refurb.

Helen, thank you for posting that information.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Ok guys.

Weasel was nice enough to send me some awesome links to adorama deals on refurbished items.

I've always been against buying refurbs, but being someone who has had to take a few stats classes, I did some research and realized that refurbs are likely to be even better than factory-new products because they are not batch tested, but instead meticulously gone over and personally inspected after the initial defect is fixed.

Also, Adorama offers a 1-year refurb warranty return on Canon DSLR's.

I've decided to go with a Canon refurb, but the real question is which one I should choose.

I am looking at the XS/XSi/T1i.

Again, I want to re-iterate I am not looking to do professional shots. I just have an interest in photography (especially landscape and natural photography) and since I am taking a couple photography classes right now I just want to be able to take good pictures.

REBEL XS = $400
    Most basic model. 10mp, no video recording, no live view. Bare bones, but cheap.

REBEL XSi = $500
    A step up from the XS with 12mp, but still no video recording, but does include limited live-view with certain shooting modes.

REBEL T1i = $550-580
    A step up from both with 15mp, 1080 HD recording, full live view, and a few extra features.

Keeping it cheap is important to me. I don't want to buy a XS/XSi and regret not getting the extra features of the T1i later down the road.

In the same sense, almost everyone who owns a DSLR with those options that I know said they never, ever use the live view or the HD recording and those are just more thing to go wrong with the camera... and a few years ago people dropped $2k on DSLR's that didn't have that stuff so I shouldn't give a crap.

Input?
    Just call me Clark Kent

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR maxima View Post
    Ok guys.

Weasel was nice enough to send me some awesome links to adorama deals on refurbished items.

I've always been against buying refurbs, but being someone who has had to take a few stats classes, I did some research and realized that refurbs are likely to be even better than factory-new products because they are not batch tested, but instead meticulously gone over and personally inspected after the initial defect is fixed.

Also, Adorama offers a 1-year refurb warranty return on Canon DSLR's.

I've decided to go with a Canon refurb, but the real question is which one I should choose.

I am looking at the XS/XSi/T1i.

Again, I want to re-iterate I am not looking to do professional shots. I just have an interest in photography (especially landscape and natural photography) and since I am taking a couple photography classes right now I just want to be able to take good pictures.

REBEL XS = $400
    Most basic model. 10mp, no video recording, no live view. Bare bones, but cheap.

REBEL XSi = $500
    A step up from the XS with 12mp, but still no video recording, but does include limited live-view with certain shooting modes.

REBEL T1i = $550-580
    A step up from both with 15mp, 1080 HD recording, full live view, and a few extra features.

Keeping it cheap is important to me. I don't want to buy a XS/XSi and regret not getting the extra features of the T1i later down the road.

In the same sense, almost everyone who owns a DSLR with those options that I know said they never, ever use the live view or the HD recording and those are just more thing to go wrong with the camera... and a few years ago people dropped $2k on DSLR's that didn't have that stuff so I shouldn't give a crap.

Input?
    If the goal is just to learn, stick with the XS. 10MP is more than enough for even magazine spreads (my D200 was 10MP) and you won't have to worry about the live view and video crap that doesn't even work well to begin with. Get your feet wet first with the XS...the more and more you learn, you'll outgrow it and then want more later...but for now, learn with the basics and you'll learn how to make the most with what you're working with.
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

I Support ClubWRX
    The live view is a pain to use instead of a viewfinder. In fact, it's almost silly to attempt to do so, since it's simply not responsive -- and response is one of the major points in using an SLR to begin with. Focus slows down, and images are shaky IMO, making composition itself difficult. TWO legitimate IMO uses for live view: when mounted on a tripod or other support in such a way that the viewfinder is difficult to use (too low, too high, at an angle, whatever); when attempting to shoot from a position that places the camera away from your head (lifting the camera over the heads of a crowd and shooting, for example, like the paparazzi that plague and haunt me do so often). In both cases, an articulating screen would be better, but both cases are rare and neither may be of any significance for your purposes.

Megapixels are not an advantage.

I've yet to figure out a reason for using video but others love that feature. I may not have the popular view on this.

For photos, the real advantages of the T1i are its processing and its high ISO capabilities, that are apparently significantly better than the older XT/XTi (though I do not know about how it compares to the XS/XSi etc. - check dpreview and keep in mind these models names are very regional; most of the planet calls these the 400D, 450D, and 500D when you're looking for tests). Also, are you going to be shooting JPEG or RAW? Most people would say you "have" to shoot RAW but I find it a pain to do so, and prefer a great JPEG output straight out of the camera rather than sitting there with my little "workflow" for each image etc. Then again I don't shoot much and when I do, I don't even prefer digital -- so again, take EVERYTHING I say with a grain of salt.

Happy shopping!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Sounds like the XS might be the best bet since (1) I am new to all of this, and (2) I am not even sure how much of interest I'll end up taking photography.

At least with the XS I can start acquiring lenses and when the time comes, if photography interests me enough I can pick up a nicer canon body, keep the lenses I want, and sell off or give to a family member the XS body.

It seems that's how most start off, no?

I think you are both right about the extra features though. Live view would rarely be used and you're not the first people to tell me it doesn't even work well, and as for video.... well, I got a video recorder for my Iphone nearly a year ago and thought I'd use it. I've used it once in a year for like 15sec.

I'll check back later on to see some other input on this, but for now, it looks like I might just pick up a refurb XS from Adorama.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    DTR,
    the list I sent was used cameras.

here are 2 canons that are refurbished from adorama.

1. Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital SLR Camera, with EFS 18-55mm IS Lens - Black - Refurbished

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSKBR.html

2. Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi SLR Camera Body Kit - Black - with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Image Stabilizer Lens - Refurbished

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSIBKR.html

Last edited by Weasel 555; 08-03-2010 at 05:14 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

I've got a question for you guys.

I was all set on the getting the Rebel XS refurb from Adorama, but I went and played with it again at Best Buy and realized that it does not have the textured grip on the back for the thumb or the handle.

I found it kinda tough to hold because of this.

I did however notice that the XSi has that grip.

Would I just get used to not having the extra grip? Can I have a camera shop add the grip to the XS for me? Am I making too big a deal of this?

Adorama has refurbs of both. The price difference is about $100. That's a lot of money to spend solely for a grip, but I fear the lack of grip might prove to be annoying.

Here's the what I am talking about:

This is the XS. Notice, no grips for thumb or fingers

And this is the XSi with the grip

Just call me Clark Kent

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're not making a big deal out of it at all. Ergonomics to me are just as important as the actual camera functionality itself. If you don't feel comfortable with the camera you're using, then it's more likely you're not going to be comfortable with the results. One of the major reasons why I prefer Nikons are the ergonomics of the camera and how it feels in my hand. I personally wouldn't buy a DSLR without some sort of rubber grip already built-in. Yes, you can probably find an aftermarket grip, but that's just extra money that you could've spent on a camera that already had it to begin with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.