Independence Day 2010

This is a discussion on Independence Day 2010 within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just like last year, I spent Independence Day atop Eugeneís apartment building in the U-District of Seattle to watch the ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Independence Day 2010

Just like last year, I spent Independence Day atop Eugeneís apartment building in the U-District of Seattle to watch the fireworks over Lake Union. The weather wasnít quite as nice as last yearís, but the cloud cover helped reflect some of the light down, making the whole show seem a bit brighter. Hereís a link to all my photos:

http://verdugo.smugmug.com/Events/In...ence-Day-2010/

And a few of my favorite photos:

Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow armin, incredible

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

As usual, great pics Armin.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

I was on a beach in tulalip overlooking everett. Not as good as seattle but still pretty awesome! Til the tide came in haha
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

Those are awesome pictures Armin!

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice vantage point.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/81544.png
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

what kind of shutter times are you using to get those pics? I shot our fireworks show in Savannah, but my photos didn't come out quite as good. I'm thinking it is either shutter time or ISO levels.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STi-Guy85 View Post
    what kind of shutter times are you using to get those pics? I shot our fireworks show in Savannah, but my photos didn't come out quite as good. I'm thinking it is either shutter time or ISO levels.
    Funny you ask, because someone else asked me the same thing on another forum...thus, I'll just copy and paste what I said there:

Shooting fireworks is all about controlling the amount of light goes into your camera, so you have to use a little creativity than just pure and simple camera settings. You definitely need the camera on a tripod, and use the manual mode to set a long shutter speed and a relatively small aperture, and your lowest ISO setting. For each one of these shots, I used an 8-second shutter speed at É11 and ISO 100. You also want to put your camera in manual focus set to infinity, so the camera doesn't spend any precious split seconds searching for focus.

Now that the camera is ready, here is the key...if you just let it go for the full 8 seconds, you'll overexpose everything. Thus, what I've always done is bring a baseball cap with me that I use to cover the lens part of the time. I'll release the shutter with the baseball cap covering the front of the lens so that it starts out with just black...then after a few seconds (depending on the fireworks I'm seeing), I'll remove the hat quickly and let it expose for a few seconds, then cover it again before the full 8 seconds are finished. You just have to experiment with different amounts of time for the hat covering and not covering the lens. Of course, you might ask "why not just set the shutter speed to less time?" Well, the whole reason why is so that you can set up the darkness of exposure before and after you expose the light from the fireworks...this will help prevent overexposure and give you nice lines of light
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    tip top shots mate
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Funny you ask, because someone else asked me the same thing on another forum...thus, I'll just copy and paste what I said there:

Shooting fireworks is all about controlling the amount of light goes into your camera, so you have to use a little creativity than just pure and simple camera settings. You definitely need the camera on a tripod, and use the manual mode to set a long shutter speed and a relatively small aperture, and your lowest ISO setting. For each one of these shots, I used an 8-second shutter speed at É11 and ISO 100. You also want to put your camera in manual focus set to infinity, so the camera doesn't spend any precious split seconds searching for focus.

Now that the camera is ready, here is the key...if you just let it go for the full 8 seconds, you'll overexpose everything. Thus, what I've always done is bring a baseball cap with me that I use to cover the lens part of the time. I'll release the shutter with the baseball cap covering the front of the lens so that it starts out with just black...then after a few seconds (depending on the fireworks I'm seeing), I'll remove the hat quickly and let it expose for a few seconds, then cover it again before the full 8 seconds are finished. You just have to experiment with different amounts of time for the hat covering and not covering the lens. Of course, you might ask "why not just set the shutter speed to less time?" Well, the whole reason why is so that you can set up the darkness of exposure before and after you expose the light from the fireworks...this will help prevent overexposure and give you nice lines of light
    Thanks alot for this info. Very creative. Photos look amazing dude.