post your gear thread - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on post your gear thread within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by FyrHazard Holy crap, got some real photogs here! I was pretty happy just to break into the ...

Quote Originally Posted by FyrHazard View Post
    Holy crap, got some real photogs here!

I was pretty happy just to break into the DSLR scene.

My tiny list of junk:
    Sony MVC-CD400 with Infra-red filter removed
    Nikon D40
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX (kit lense)
    70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IF-ED AF-S VR
    Really Right Stuff BH-40LR Ball Head
    Gitzo GT2530 CF Tripod
    Pelican Case
    That's a nice lightweight kit. Glass in heavy. If I'm going out on a hike I'll usually just take the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 and 70-300mm f/4-5.6. Both are inexpensive, plastic, and most important, light. That's why I keep them.

(Be careful with that D40 and adding lenses. There is a lot of glass on my list that will not AF with that body.)
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, I actually got the D40 because of it's size. I was planning on doing a lot of hiking with it so I wanted the smallest DSLR possible. I've really been pretty happy with it, but now that I've had it for a while, I'd like to upgrade to something with a little more features. For instance: focus points and light metering that work more than half the time.

You have a bunch of teleconverters! I have heard mixed reviews about using them. I take it you like them?
    "Good design is a lot like clear thinking made visual." - Edward Tufte

Bugeye Mafia #314

Is low light your problem? If so, the new 50mm f/1.4 AF-S might be worth looking into. Don't get it confused with the old 50mm f/1.4 AF.

Teleconverters are a mixed bag. In bright light they all work great to OK. As it gets darker their performance falls off. You hardly notice the TC-14 unless the light is very poor. The TC-20 losses Metering and AF fairly quickly. Hence my previous question. With the TC-20 a f/2.8 lens becomes a f/5.6...

Yeah that's what I'm worried about with my cheap lenses. With fancy glass you have more room to start out with. I used to try and capture birds quite a bit, and the 300 was never quite enough.
    "Good design is a lot like clear thinking made visual." - Edward Tufte

Bugeye Mafia #314

That's why your 10-300mm will not work and is deliberately incomparable.

It's not on the list for the New TC-20E III:

http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/...C-20E-III.html

Sorry about that. Otherwise the 70-300 VR is a nice lens.

Edit: Just for fun I looked at the f/4 lenses. TC-14 No limitations. TC-17 and TC-20 Autofocus not possible.

With one exception No limitations on the listed f/2.8 lenses.
    Last edited by Web Foot STi; 04-28-2010 at 04:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.