Suggestions for a lens

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a lens within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, so I've offered to do a photo shoot for my niece's 16th birthday present. I have a concept going ...

Registered User jennsfootprints's Avatar

Suggestions for a lens

Ok, so I've offered to do a photo shoot for my niece's 16th birthday present. I have a concept going but not sure how to execute with lighting and lens.

I will be using my Canon XSi. I have the kit lenses that came with it so they are nothing special. I've heard that the Canon 24-70 L 2.8 is a great lens for portraits but I worry about it not having IS. The studio I'm using is my friend's and she uses a Canon 24-105 IS 4.0 lens. My worry about this one is the speed of this lens. Not that it will be completely dark but I do want the pictures to have quite a bit of shadowing which I'm assuming means fewer lights.

So here is the concept, b&w and sepia toned pictures with my subject in a plain black t-shirt and a black back-drop.

I need suggestions/help with choosing the following:
    - an appropriate lens to rent
    - lighting techniques
    - any and all suggestions in regards to my concept

Thanks!
    Lucky is the man that finds a girl who loves driving his car as much as he does!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check out prime lenses such as the 50mm f/1.4. Amazing depth of field and great in low light situations. Cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by caplephoto View Post
    Check out prime lenses such as the 50mm f/1.4. Amazing depth of field and great in low light situations. Cheap too.
    I'm assuming you've used this lens. If so, have you taken any shots similar to the one I described in my initial post? Can you post any of them?

I've read some of the advantages of prime lenses I just worry when there is no IS because of how much moving around I may need to do without a tripod.
    Lucky is the man that finds a girl who loves driving his car as much as he does!

Quote Originally Posted by jennsfootprints View Post
    I'm assuming you've used this lens. If so, have you taken any shots similar to the one I described in my initial post? Can you post any of them?

I've read some of the advantages of prime lenses I just worry when there is no IS because of how much moving around I may need to do without a tripod.
    I'll see if I can find a picture similar to what you described.

You shouldn't worry about having blurry pictures because having such a high aperture allows you to have higher shutter speeds. The f/1.4 allows for shooting in low light but has super shallow depth of field.

Quote Originally Posted by caplephoto View Post
    I'll see if I can find a picture similar to what you described.

You shouldn't worry about having blurry pictures because having such a high aperture allows you to have higher shutter speeds. The f/1.4 allows for shooting in low light but has super shallow depth of field.
    Did you know they have a 50mm L f/1.0?? Sammy's Camera rents them for $40. I might try that.

Hey man I have the 50mm f1.4 it's a super fast lens but to be honest for portraits your not going to need to be shooting that fast. I have been looking at the 24-70mm f2.8L for weddings. I used a friend of mines the other day. Really a phenomenal lens. I think it would work great for you. The 50mm would work nice to but often in a studio you don't have the room to maneuver in order to get different shots. Prime lenses are a ***** like that. If you have got the room though, it's an amazing lens. Especially on an aps-c sensor like the Rebel Xsi.

Experiment with shutter speeds and apertures along with yr ISO, then you won't have to worry about not having image stabilization. Hell, use a tripod if yr that worried about camera shake.
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    every time anyone asks to drive my car - even valets I say "no". when they say "what's the big deal?" I say "would you let someone wear your underwear? would you let someone have sex with your girlfriend? ....same thing."

Hey guys, thanks for the input. You'll have to forgive my ignorance about this stuff but I was nervous about the use of a studio setting and strobes. I know how to use ISO and shutter speeds to negate camera shake. But I think it's different with strobes. Anyhow, I took those pictures about a month ago. They turned out great. The friend who let me borrow her studio showed me what her camera settings (aperture and shutter speed) were and I adjusted according to what I was looking for and the lights I was using. Search the Snapshot of the Day thread for those pictures. Here's are some that I didn't post on there. Give me some feedback. I like hearing from people who actually know what they're talking about.
    Attachment 87414

Attachment 87415

Attachment 87416

Quote Originally Posted by skmarshall View Post
    Hey man I have the 50mm f1.4 it's a super fast lens but to be honest for portraits your not going to need to be shooting that fast. I have been looking at the 24-70mm f2.8L for weddings. I used a friend of mines the other day. Really a phenomenal lens. I think it would work great for you. The 50mm would work nice to but often in a studio you don't have the room to maneuver in order to get different shots. Prime lenses are a ***** like that. If you have got the room though, it's an amazing lens. Especially on an aps-c sensor like the Rebel Xsi.
    The 24-70 L is a great lens. I had one of my friend's play photographer at our wedding and he used that lens. Rented it for about $35 for the weekend. Said it was very useful for that kind of situation. I did use the 50mm lens. I liked it but now I understand the frustration of using a prime... especially in a studio.