Used Camera Pricing??

This is a discussion on Used Camera Pricing?? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well a friend of mine offered me his old canon 10D with the canon 18-55 lens, tamron 70-200 lens, a ...

I Support ClubWRX

Used Camera Pricing??

Well a friend of mine offered me his old canon 10D with the canon 18-55 lens, tamron 70-200 lens, a tamron macro lens and a tamron fisheye type. It comes with 4 batteries, charger, all software, all books and a case/bag to carry it. Beings that he bought all this stuff new obviously he spent really good money on this stuff.. I just kinda dont want to get ripped off if I am.

He wants $450.00 Should I buy?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    I say go for it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd would have to believe that those lenses, in good condition, might be worth more than what you're paying for the whole package. If you're looking to start out with DSLRs then this might not be a bad way to do it. If you take a liking to it, when you're ready to upgrade, you can just get a new body and still have the advantage of the legacy lenses to work with.

That's the way I'd look at it. I'd buy the kit for the lenses and then get a newer model Canon body when I was ready.

Just to be safe though, you might want to get some model numbers from those lenses and see if you can estimate the prices online. You should find that all that glass, used and in good condition, will put you well over $450.

I Support ClubWRX
    He purchased this camera set up new when they released and has since bought several other cameras. This would basically just help him purchase his newest canon body. The 70-200 lens has a receipt when purchased new I think it said 1599. They just dont use these lenses with their current set up.

Other question is these lenses have white dots. Do all newer model canons come with the white and red dot now so you can use both? His 20D which his wife will now use has both red/white but he wasnt sure if the new one he is buying had both red/white.

I'd pass and go to eBay. I just received m 10D from eBay yesterday. I got it for $266 shipped: 10D body, 28-80mm 3.5 lens, 28-300mm 3.5 lens, battery, charger, and 3GB of mem cards. The EF-S 18-55mm will not work with the 10D unless the mount has been modified. The similar EF 17-40mm is aroudn $800 used still. Offer your buddy $300 and see what he says

Also keep in mind that Canon does not have a Windows Vista driver, so you'll need a mem card reader to pull your pics to the PC.

Ryan

I Support ClubWRX
    What is the EF-S?

He simply wont take $300. I got to $400 with him from $500. I kinda thought it was a good deal. I am just leary of Ebay with electronics and this thing is literally slightly used. It comes with the card reader and what I didnt mention because I didnt think it mattered but 4-2GB cards so 8GB.

I did however go down and play with the new G10 from Canon and that thing is absolutely amazing. I might just get that.

*cough* I was hoping Armin would chime in *cough*

The EF-S lens type is used with the digital rebels. I've bought xx number of cameras on ebay with 0 issues. Just don't buy anything from someone with less than 100 feedbacks and you'll be fine.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    What is the EF-S?

He simply wont take $300. I got to $400 with him from $500. I kinda thought it was a good deal. I am just leary of Ebay with electronics and this thing is literally slightly used. It comes with the card reader and what I didnt mention because I didnt think it mattered but 4-2GB cards so 8GB.

I did however go down and play with the new G10 from Canon and that thing is absolutely amazing. I might just get that.

*cough* I was hoping Armin would chime in *cough*

I Support ClubWRX
    Wish I could help more but I'm a Nikon guy. Didn't know anything about the white and red dots but found this link. I know of the 10D and it's been touted as a great camera, especially if you're just starting out. Like I said before it seems worth it to me with all of the glass. If the lenses are anything like Nikon, then they should fit on newer models if and when you decide to upgrade.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    Wish I could help more but I'm a Nikon guy. Didn't know anything about the white and red dots but found this link. I know of the 10D and it's been touted as a great camera, especially if you're just starting out. Like I said before it seems worth it to me with all of the glass. If the lenses are anything like Nikon, then they should fit on newer models if and when you decide to upgrade.
    Yup lenses will all work as long as I go canon. I guess the tamron (I think that's how you spell it) lenses may work on other brands as well. I also stand corrected. All lenses with the camera are the tamron lenses. The canon ones were cheap in comparison and these helped take better pics according to him.

I think I have to decided to purchase it for $400 and the G10 from tigerdirect.com for $499.

I Support ClubWRX
    Two clarifications:

1. EF lenses were introduced with the EOS system. All current Canon SLRs work with EF lenses. Some current SLRs can also use EF-S lenses; these are digital SLRs that are not "full frame;" that is, the sensor size is smaller than a 35X24 mm sized film negative. What this boils down to is any Canon dSLR that has more than one digit in its name (50D, 500D or T1i or whatever it is they call it in the US, 450D or XSi, and so on); these are cropped-sensor SLRs that can use EF-S lenses. An EF-S lens on a full-frame camera is at best a waste; if the camera is digital it will probably crop down its effective sensor size; if it is film you'll get shots with black areas, since an EF-S lens cannot cover the full frame.

2. Canon have just announced the release of the G11, a replacement for the G10. The G11 has less pixels (due to popular demand) and more importantly, may affect G10 availability and/or price.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks!! I will have to google the g11 before purchasing the g10 less pixels?? Hhmm I do think 14.7 is a bit much

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Other question is these lenses have white dots. Do all newer model canons come with the white and red dot now so you can use both? His 20D which his wife will now use has both red/white but he wasnt sure if the new one he is buying had both red/white.
    My 40d has the white and red dots and I use both types of lenses on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you mean a white square plus a red dot? This signifies EF-S, or a camera that is not full frame. Any body with only a red dot can take only EF, not EF-S, lenses. A body with both red and white holds a sensor that is not full frame, and so can use either lens type.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Canon 10D is a white dot only.

The 20D has a white dot and a red dot. I guess they changed some lenses in someway but the red dot lenses will not work on the 10D.

Okay, I checked mine to make sure (40d) and I have a red dot and a white square on the body. I have each type of lens and they both work fine.