Anyone have this camera??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Anyone have this camera?? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Canon PowerShot G10 Digital Camera - 14.7 Megapixels, 5x Optical Zoom, 4x Digital Zoom, 20x Combined Zoom, 3.0" TFT LCD ...

I Support ClubWRX

Anyone have this camera??

Canon PowerShot G10 Digital Camera - 14.7 Megapixels, 5x Optical Zoom, 4x Digital Zoom, 20x Combined Zoom, 3.0" TFT LCD at TigerDirect.com

If so how do you like it? Would you buy it again or recomend it? Would you buy something else instead?

I bought a really good camera last year and when my wife bailed on my son and I she took the tv and camera.. Anyway I bought a cheap replacement camera recently that was a nikon S220 and I messed around with it for a few days and took it back because I felt my iphone took better pics.. Anyway I need a camera to take quick pics as I have a 19 month old son and a 2.5 year old. Also I liked the fact that it will take a great picture even if the object is moving quickly.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have not owned the G10. However, I'm awake right now, others are not, and I do know one thing: for moving objects or rapidly moving objects such as children, IMO you need an SLR. Both the response times and focus times etc. will be much more rapid, the larger sensor allows better low or difficult lighting response and so on. The G10 felt great and I liked the ergonomics (I usually do not on Canons) and it felt well made, but ultimately it'll IMO lag compared to an SLR. You can use it and may be fine, but it won't be ideal for your application IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I've used the G10 as well and its a great camera. Picture quality is awesome and its got quite a bit for features. If your looking for action shots though, like SD_GR said DSLR is the way to go. The Nikon D40 is one of the bottom line models, going around $450 give or take with just over 6mp.

I personally am picking up my new camera tomorrow, a Canon SX1 IS. For the price I could have gotten an entry DSLR, but I'm not ready to invest in that just yet and having to swap lenses depending on the shot.

I Support ClubWRX
    My biggest problem is swapping the lenses on the DSLR, plus I figured this camera would have more of a chance making it out the door with us in her purse or around my wrist for a day in the park or camping where the DSLR would probably be left at home.. ??

I think the 14.7 MP is a little overkill but the 28 mm lens may be a little better to pick them up just that much easier

I Support ClubWRX
    Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens at TigerDirect.com

For little more maybe this is a better deal?

Yea I understand. You may want to look into a more compact type camera then if your looking for something easy to lug around or through in a bag. The G10 isn't a DSLR, but its still a hefty camera. But if your don't mind the extra weight, its definitely not a bad buy and will give you some great shots.

The Nikon D60 is an awesome camera, but your back into the lenses with it, and its a good size bigger than even the G10.

for quick "I can throw this in my pocket for any outing" the G10 is an awesome camera. My friend has one and I've played with it a lot and have since decided to get my fiance one for Christmas. It's a great compromise between performance and practicality. I had a D60 (upgraded to a D90) and while I loved it it can be a PITA to lug around a camera bag on long day trips to the zoo, park, etc. As far as size a DSLR is WAY bigger, there's no comparison.

I Support ClubWRX
    So I played around with this camera the other day at best buy and it is freakin amazing! I may go for this but Im still kicking around my buddies 10D with many lenses option for $400.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.