Website help

This is a discussion on Website help within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i have my smugmug account and I use it to sell prints and have thought more and more of ...

Website help

So i have my smugmug account and I use it to sell prints and have thought more and more of having a real online portfolio so people don't have to dig through my smugmug looking at stuff and considering most of the weddings I do I look by request.

I have ZERO experience when building a web site nor do I have access to schools to try and learn. I've bought a couple of books but tend to fall asleep around page 2.
    I've noticed a few are leaning towards picking up templets and going from there my question how hard is this? All i really want on the site is a bit about me and separate sections on my work (i.e one for weddings automotive bands and portraits) I would also like a calendar that shows days I'm available and then of course a link to my smugmug so customers can have direct access to purchase prints and what not. It don't sound like much but I'm clueless where to start. Hell even after I find a templet I not sure how to host it or what not.

So any idea or pointers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    So you want a professional website with a built-in shopping cart?

One thing to look into is .css files - this will help you build the template, and from there, you add the content necessary.

I do web design, so if you need some pointers, I'd be happy to help. [shameless plug] If you want someone to do the website for you, I can set you up with that as well [/shameless plug].
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Smugmug is pretty much my shopping cart. They buy from there and Smugmug handles all the shipping and allows the use of credit cards.
    I'm really just wanting a portfolio that easily navigated so people can view stuff I've done before hiring me.

What dose it cost to have a site built?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EmsTraumajunke
    I'm really just wanting a portfolio that easily navigated so people can view stuff I've done before hiring me.

What dose it cost to have a site built?
    Understandable. It depends how complex you want the website to be. If you can find an example of something you'd like, I could give you a better estimate. Now, of course, it wouldn't be a ripoff, but it would be some sort of guideline.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I'll have to go dig around and look the ones i use to have saved have all been changed and aren't like they were.

If all your looking for is a gallery to run on a personal server, there are a number of choices.

Coppermine and Gallery are both free open source projects that can display albums of pictures. All you need is a server with PHP and MySQL installed. I use Gallery myself and getting it to work is easy as long as you have the right access to the server that you need. You can PM me with questions and you'll need to figure out where you want to host your site.

I was thinking about using something like this but not sure how great it will be.

Website templates search by Icetemplates.com

I like the lay out of some of them and the only thing I think that's missing would be the calendar with dates I'm available and a link directing them to my smugmug site for purchases.

But as always I'm not quite sure the extra cost a year when it comes to a sever to hold everything.