Night Photos Part II (56k hit the deck!)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Night Photos Part II (56k hit the deck!) within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Was wide awake at 3am this morning so I decided to head into downtown and see what I could get. ...

Arrow Night Photos Part II w/ Some Others (56k hit the deck!)

Was wide awake at 3am this morning so I decided to head into downtown and see what I could get.

I took about 100 or so pics, but only a couple came out that are decent...

Doh! Left the door open.

Last edited by STI_KLR; 09-22-2008 at 03:04 PM.
    Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Random comments:

I really enjoyed those shots, thanks for posting. The top four are very interesting to me because of the colours you've got on the building vs. the car. Could you please list your settings for those shots? Are they processed in-camera (are you in vivid mode, are you saturating etc.)? What is the light source generating the shadow from the tree onto the building -- a large lamp?

What lens are you using at what aperture (there is flaring; see 7nth shot for most extreme example)?

Who manufactures your headlamps, and are they Hi/Low or just "Low" beam (do you have a functional high beam with those)? They look very bright and they do not seem to scatter much, I'm impressed (and interested for a project I've got in mind!).

Parking lot shots: I like the way the lamp post looks so metallic. I also like the falloff of illumination generated by the lamp light onto the trees in the background, they just fade away.

RE: Dashboard shots. Has your timing belt been replaced?

Very fun shots and great locations, thanks!
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-22-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Random comments:

I really enjoyed those shots, thanks for posting. The top four are very interesting to me because of the colours you've got on the building vs. the car. Could you please list your settings for those shots? Are they processed in-camera (are you in vivid mode, are you saturating etc.)? What is the light source generating the shadow from the tree onto the building -- a large lamp?
    For the first four shots, they were taken in downtown Greenville, NC here at ECU. What you see is what you get; the only thing that was changed was what type of lighting I set the camera to. The shadow from the tree is coming from another street light on the corner right outside of the picture.
    What lens are you using at what aperture (there is flaring; see 7nth shot for most extreme example)?
    I'm actually using the lens that came with my camera (Canon Rebel XTi) which is an EFS 18-55mm zoom lens. I was also using a circular polarizer, but I don't remember which pics I used it and didn't use it. And the shutter speed was set at 100.
    Who manufactures your headlamps, and are they Hi/Low or just "Low" beam (do you have a functional high beam with those)? They look very bright and they do not seem to scatter much, I'm impressed (and interested for a project I've got in mind!).
    I actually got them off of ebay for $103 shipped haha They are the 9007's so they have high and low beams in the same bulb; they just move up and down to project the light shorter/further like the stockers. They're the perfect brightness (IMO) at 4300k. As to my surprise, it is a very direct beam and I thought by not using projectors the light would be all over the place. It was a nice surprise

EDIT: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...-new-hids.html
    ^^^^More pics of the HID's at night that I took a few weeks ago.

Parking lot shots: I like the way the lamp post looks so metallic. I also like the falloff of illumination generated by the lamp light onto the trees in the background, they just fade away.
    I'm happy that it turned out that way. It's at the waaay back end of one of the student parking lots in downtown. I was debating back and forth to include the lamp post or not, but it seemed to work in some of the pics.

RE: Dashboard shots. Has your timing belt been replaced?
    I'm not sure? What makes you ask?

Very fun shots and great locations, thanks!
    No, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I spent about 1 1/2 hours shooting these so at least someone got a kick out of them
    Last edited by STI_KLR; 09-22-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Very good looking car for 110K mi. What mods do you have on your 02 or 03. Only thing I would tell you is to paint the skirts
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    Very good looking car for 110K mi. What mods do you have on your 02 or 03. Only thing I would tell you is to paint the skirts
    Lol I know, I know. All in good time. But I have other things I wish to do that are more important than the side skirts

For mods, etc., go to my cardomain in my sig.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STI_KLR View Post
    What you see is what you get; the only thing that was changed was what type of lighting I set the camera to. The shadow from the tree is coming from another street light on the corner right outside of the picture.

On Canons I like either the "cloudy" setting or the "tungsten" setting depending on the subject and/or time of day. The auto white balance is actually the setting I like least; either "cloudy" or "tungsten" (or whatever they call it now) will give warmer earth tones. I really like your wall colour, it's a nice tone.
    I actually got them off of ebay for $103 shipped haha They are the 9007's so they have high and low beams in the same bulb; they just move up and down to project the light shorter/further like the stockers. They're the perfect brightness (IMO) at 4300k. As to my surprise, it is a very direct beam and I thought by not using projectors the light would be all over the place. It was a nice surprise
    Do you happen to know the name of the supplier? They'd be great for a project I'm thinking of. I'd like to buy a set from the same source if possible. Any details?

I'm not sure? What makes you ask?
    It is due at 105,000 mi and your odo reads 110,000.
    No, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I spent about 1 1/2 hours shooting these so at least someone got a kick out of them
    I like shots that are not in broad daylight at high noon! It's actually IMO the LACK of light that makes shots interesting to view (not to mention challenging to compose and shoot).

I also like what's happening with the small-sized "entry-level" DSLRs: people are going out and shooting photos! Experimenting with light and framing and shadows and everything. With all the advances in technology the photography is sometimes forgotten, but with the cheaper and smaller DSLRs out people can go out and shoot to their heart's content without lugging around a 5-kg, $8,000 brick with a lens worth more than my car. Nice!
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I <3 my Canon

I'll have to get back to you on the HID info. It's all on my other computer, but once I get a chance to get on there, I'll let you know

And I think the timing belt was replaced; the 100k mile service has been done (or is it 105k service )
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    I <3 my Canon
    I think the digital Rebels have done the photo world a great service personally. Getting cameras into people's hands -- and cameras that are capable of great shots to boot! -- is A Good Thing.

I'll have to get back to you on the HID info. It's all on my other computer, but once I get a chance to get on there, I'll let you know
    I would appreciate that, thank you!

And I think the timing belt was replaced; the 100k mile service has been done (or is it 105k service )
    The service interval is (from memory) 90K (a rehashed "30K" service) and 105 K (timing belt). Next is 120K (a rehashed "60K" including spark plugs) and so on.

Gotcha. I'll have to go back and check my records.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

You gotta mix the peanut butta' cups, in with the eggs.

A few from this afternoon between classes. (all un-edited) Most of these (IMO) are terrible lol but I had some time to kill, so why not?

Edited this one a tid-bit..

Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    I like the lake background.

The water in the top photo and the sky in some of the rest reminded me a bit of a discussion Thom Hogan has on his site regarding exposure vs. blowout on contrasty shots; on his site the subject is a... beaver (!) but the idea is the same.

Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide

The trouble is I don't understand his discussion enough to know how to fix the white level -- or even to know if it's feasible with digital. Film is much more forgiving but then again the colours won't POP! as much with film, even a good slide film, as easily as with digital, where it's done with the press of a button.

Yea, I was getting extremely annoyed because they weren't coming out. All of the pics look really dark, but even though it was cloudy, it was still bright as hell outside! Oh well, I think it's time for a break
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    [B]For the first four shots, they were taken in downtown Greenville, NC here at ECU.
    ECWho?

Sorry...it was too tempting, after the cocky way your football team came in to our stadium, like they owned the world or something, mocking the crowd with our wolf sign. Karma's a bizzitch.

Great pics! It does my heart good to see you finally enjoying your very own WRX.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    ECWho?

Sorry...it was too tempting, after the cocky way your football team came in to our stadium, like they owned the world or something, mocking the crowd with our wolf sign. Karma's a bizzitch.

Great pics! It does my heart good to see you finally enjoying your very own WRX.
    Haha yea yea Ray, w/e man... I wasn't at the game so that is the first I've heard of our team being idiots...although I'm not surprised. You all came to play - and it showed. We didn't deserve to win. Good game, sir!

I'm glad it does your heart good - now you won't have to go to the doctor for another full year!
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Ok SD_GR, sorry this took so long. I bought the ebay HID's from the seller "hqz4321."

Here is a link to the actual product you would need:

eBay Motors: hid kit xenon conversion 9004/9006/9007/H1/H3/H4/H7/H11 (item 190254139771 end time Sep-25-08 17:10:04 PDT)

When you do paypal, it says on there that he needs some info to include w/ the order:

Bulb Size: 9007 Bi-Xenon
    Temperature: 4300k
    Phone #: xxx-xxx-xxxx

**Note that this is for Bugeyes.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.