Exciting new cameras!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Exciting new cameras! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On the one hand, there's the Canon EOS 1000D. Anyone that's into small dSLRs and/or has an EOS-based system already ...

I Support ClubWRX

Exciting new cameras!

On the one hand, there's the Canon EOS 1000D. Anyone that's into small dSLRs and/or has an EOS-based system already and wants another or even a backup body should be looking into this IMO, as the 450D is nice but it's about 100 too pricey.
    Canon EOS 1000D / Digital Rebel XS Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

On the other hand, there's the new midform Hasselblad and I suppose those than know what it is know whether they need it, and whether they'll ever use its potential or whether simply using film and scanning on a drum scanner will work just fine vs. paying over 30,000. If anybody sells a couple cars to buy the Hasselblad, please post impressions.
    Hasselblad assembles megapixel monster: Digital Photography Review

Then there's the Nikon D700, which IMO is an attractive idea -- D3 sensor in a D300 body. It's still a bit of a brick but at least you've got FX sensor sizing and can now actually go wide if you've got the lenses to do so.

Me? I shot film this summer. Not a typo -- film. I decided to keep my money and go back to a 25-year-old fully manual film SLR. Loved it. I may just keep using it and just get my pics scanned onto a disc when I get them developed (I've got access to a dark room but not the time or the energy -- Costco, here I come).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info. Wow, some cool stuff indeed.
    I have been speaking with the owner of Red cameras recently. He has been working tirelessly on what he calls the DSLR killer. He says he has working models as we speak, but plans to release this bad boy as early as first quarter next year. He says one of his models takes something like 24 frames per second, and may get a 48 frame per second model in the first year of release. When I get mine I will post pictures of the camera, and pictures from the camera. I will then have a 1D MarkIIn for sale with lots of extras.
    I too have had problems with getting rid of my old Pentax K-1000s. I have even shot rolls of film in the last little while. It is good to go fully manual so I don't forget how to take real pictures.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

Me? I shot film this summer. Not a typo -- film. I decided to keep my money and go back to a 25-year-old fully manual film SLR. Loved it. I may just keep using it and just get my pics scanned onto a disc when I get them developed (I've got access to a dark room but not the time or the energy -- Costco, here I come).
    I started on film when I got into this hobby and was always pleased with the return. I got away from it because of the costs associated with film and development, etc., but I've been picking that camera up way more than my digital lately. Film is way more forgiving. It's like vinyl vs. compact disc.

I Support ClubWRX
    I developed my own for a couple of years...it was great fun.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    ...I have been speaking with the owner of Red cameras recently... When I get mine I will post pictures of the camera, and pictures from the camera.
    Wow, that sounds amazing. Looking forward to seeing it.

I too have had problems with getting rid of my old Pentax K-1000s. I have even shot rolls of film in the last little while. It is good to go fully manual so I don't forget how to take real pictures.
    I can't get rid of my Minolta X-370 and I've taken to turning off AE on it and using everything manually. It's more involving and not more time-consuming than navigating menus on an unknown dSLR. Plus, frankly, it's "spoiled" me. The Minolta has a metal body and when the shutter is pressed it goes down with a "clank" as the mirror "thwaps" and all this makes most modern dSLRs, save for the most expensive semi-pro or pro models, seem like plastic toys. As much as I don't want a Mg-bodied, sealed semi-pro or pro dSLR due to size and weight, the tactile feedback from the small models I do want is terrible. So, I've not committed to a Rebel or D40/60 (yet?) and beg/borrow larger EOS bodies if "needed."

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    I It's like vinyl vs. compact disc.
    Funny that you'd mention that; I own a Rega turntable and still enjoy listening to vinyl...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I developed my own for a couple of years...it was great fun.
    It is. Photoshop is easier to do and keeps my clothing dryer/cleaner but fiddling with tubs and staring at stuff under a dark light is fun once in a while.

I looked at Olympus and Pentax dSLRs because they're "off the beaten path," they're attractively priced, and they're very compact. On them, I don't quite like the menus -- I think Canon or Nikon handling is better, or at least I'm more used to it. That leaves the big 2. We'll see.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    It is good to go fully manual
    you mean there are other settings

I have an XT, it's so small in my hands (6'6") I want to upgrade to a 20d or 30d because it just feels like so much more of a camera, so much better built and what not. Plus the other step ups, but I just can't justify spending the extra money when I have yet to max out my XT, heck i've seen so many pictures fom different cameras and still can't tell the difference between a pic shot with a 30d to a XT(in the right hands).

I wish I could have gotten into photography back in the film days just so I could experience developing film by hand, but I would have been a wee lad.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I could tea-bag your ass into a coma.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    I wish I could have gotten into photography back in the film days just so I could experience developing film by hand, but I would have been a wee lad.
    If you do it now, it's much cheaper!

When I was a wee lad, I dreamt of owning a Nikon F4. Back then it cost a month's salary for a white-collar worker, or more. Now, a good used example complete with lens(es) is a few hundred bucks, tops. At Costco, I got single prints of my 24exp film plus a sampler print of all the shots as thumbnails, plus a CD of jpg files from all the shots that had the thumbnails on its front surface for easy identification later on, all for... $7. Not bad.

Developer and fixative gets expensive, but shooting film and having Costco's machines do the rest isn't terrible once in a while.

I just might, I have a canon AE1 at my disposal, i've been eyeing it at my gf's house for the past few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I could tea-bag your ass into a coma.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

On the other hand, there's the new midform Hasselblad and I suppose those than know what it is know whether they need it, and whether they'll ever use its potential or whether simply using film and scanning on a drum scanner will work just fine vs. paying over 30,000. If anybody sells a couple cars to buy the Hasselblad, please post impressions.
    Hasselblad assembles megapixel monster: Digital Photography Review

I have used the H3 several times with different backs. the photog i assist has the H3dII-39. You will not get better quality with film and scanning unless you're scanning medium format transparencies or bigger. You will also need a few film cameras and assistants to change the film for you if you want to have your photoshoot run on time. Being able to shoot all day and have the clients view the photos and approve them on the spot is great. Not having to waist money on film and assistants to take care of loading film makes the clients happy and they come back.

The H3 is worth the money for pros with big clients that do several day, 10 hour fashion and car shoots. For photographers with small clients and lower budget shoots renting on occasion for bigger shoots is a good idea. for anyone with little or no clients the camera is overkill. A DSLR will be able to do more then enough for most people and most shooting situations.
    Bugeye Mafia #185
    Blobeye Syndicate #38
    San Remo Alliance............#002

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.