FINALLY bought a new Point and Shoot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on FINALLY bought a new Point and Shoot within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well after asking several questions, reading many many reviews on just about everything in my price range I purchased one ...

I Support ClubWRX

FINALLY bought a new Point and Shoot

Well after asking several questions, reading many many reviews on just about everything in my price range I purchased one today. I ended up buying a Nikon Coolpix S550. I also purchased a sandisk 2GB extreme III memory card.

Review so far as I havent really done much with it since my wife really takes more of the pictures I let her play with it.

My thoughts, so far we have noticed that it is deffinately best to check out the photos after loading them on the computer and deleting them from there than relying on the cameras screen to tell us nay or yay. It really takes a great photo. The camera is a lot smaller than I thought it was in the pictures online. It does not have a lot of confusing buttons and is generally easy to use. The auto blink detection and the smile finder is kinda different but we will figure that out.

Cons so far: This camera has an internal battery you have to remove to charge. I personally dont find this next one a con but it might be later on so we will see- It does not have a view finder so when the camera is on, so is the lcd screen so that battery life may be lower. Also I find the attachment cord that it came with to be a con, it is kinda weird, it comes with a normal USB cable end and it splices to two seperate type cords. 1 is the part that connects to the camera, the other end is a red yellow type tv lookin cord guess I need to get used to that.

My biggest thing I wanted was a camera to take a good picture and fast since the little man is growing more every second I want to capture that as good as possible. I think this camera will fit what I wanted in a camera, if it doesnt it will go back to the store in the 30 days trial period. If you want more info and more reviews on the camera I felt this was the best non gadget guru information:
    Buy the Nikon Coolpix S550 10-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black and other Digital point-and-shoot cameras at circuitcity.com

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nikon Coolpix S550: Digital Photography Review

Not bad, I just bought one too....

Fujifilm FinePix F50fd Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

3x optical zoom, but it was the 12mp and pocket size that caught me. I got the F50SE at BB for $250 a few months ago.

FUJIFILM - FinePix 12.0MP Digital Camera - Silver - F50
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Great looking camera, Bo. I'm in the market for something similar in the near future. It just needs to take nice, detailed photos without shutter delay and have a good optical zoom. I'm guessing this fits teh bill.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Great looking camera, Bo. I'm in the market for something similar in the near future. It just needs to take nice, detailed photos without shutter delay and have a good optical zoom. I'm guessing this fits teh bill.
    Yes, it has Nikkor 5x optical zoom. This camera out of all brand new point and shoots and past clearance point and shoots took the fastes pictures without the memory card. The guy at the store told me that didnt really matter, but then went back on that statement because most of them had some sort of internal memory. He then showed me that with an extremely fast memore card they take pictures even faster. Which was the reason I bought this camera over these

Buy the Canon PowerShot SD750K 7.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black and other Digital point-and-shoot cameras at circuitcity.com

Buy the Canon PowerShot SD770 IS 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Black and other Digital point-and-shoot cameras at circuitcity.com

Buy the Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS 8-Megapixel Digital Camera - Swing Silver and other Digital point-and-shoot cameras at circuitcity.com

Buy the Casio Exilim EX-Z200BK 10.1-Megapixel Digital Camera Black and other Digital point-and-shoot cameras at circuitcity.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Nikon Coolpix S550: Digital Photography Review

Not bad, I just bought one too....

Fujifilm FinePix F50fd Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

3x optical zoom, but it was the 12mp and pocket size that caught me. I got the F50SE at BB for $250 a few months ago.

FUJIFILM - FinePix 12.0MP Digital Camera - Silver - F50
    Nice choice, I didnt see any fuji's

I Support ClubWRX
    So I used the little beast a little more today. I turned on a feature called smile finder. It is pretty weird, but sometimes kinda helps with taking pics of my son. Since you obviously want to grab photos of him smiling it is quite the task sometimes like trying to capture lightning! Turning that feature on takes the picture as soon as a smile is detected. I have gotten some pretty good pics with that feature so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    So I used the little beast a little more today. I turned on a feature called smile finder. It is pretty weird, but sometimes kinda helps with taking pics of my son. Since you obviously want to grab photos of him smiling it is quite the task sometimes like trying to capture lightning! Turning that feature on takes the picture as soon as a smile is detected. I have gotten some pretty good pics with that feature so far.
    now that is a kick ass feature
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow. Smile finder...I like that a lot.

My father-in-law's new Canon P&S has a face-finder algorithm that spots multiple faces in a frame, and adjusts focus, aperture, and shutter speed to assure that they are clear in the photo. Neat stuff.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Wow. Smile finder...I like that a lot.

My father-in-law's new Canon P&S has a face-finder algorithm that spots multiple faces in a frame, and adjusts focus, aperture, and shutter speed to assure that they are clear in the photo. Neat stuff.
    My camera has the face finder, and it's cool. Draws little yellow squares around faces to show me it's got them. But the smile detection just seems like an even more useful feature.

On Saturday I went to meet my new nephew and I caught a perfect picture of him mid hic-up where he looks like he is sitting up and completely relaxed with his eyes closed. It's a good shot, and I got it on the first try.

How long until they add - dumb luck - as a feature?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yea very cool feature, it also has the face recognition.

I Support ClubWRX
    OH!!! I forgot, it also has a mode that if someone blinks it wont take the pic

wow man that sounds like one heck of a point and shoot. I myself am also going to take delivery of a new camera tomorrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I could tea-bag your ass into a coma.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yea it makes it nice for Digi cam retards like me. For some reason I can take a great picture with my old film camera slr. Hand me a digi cam, I might take a decent photo out of 100..

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    That's a nice camera Bo. Let's see some pics of the little one.

I've been looking at getting a nice digicam for the past few months. My girlfriend & I are stimulating the economy with this Kodak Z1012.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    I was going to post a pic with the original post but the attachments are screwed up right now so we will have to hold on that. If your my friend on myspace you can view all my pics on there I got some new ones of Brodie on there.
    MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/299682712

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast