Digital Photography 1

This is a discussion on Digital Photography 1 within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My g/f is going to take this class. What camera would you guys recommend?...

Digital Photography 1

My g/f is going to take this class. What camera would you guys recommend?
    84' Nissan Pick-up *daily beater*
    06' Wrx TR *new ride*
    07' CBR 600

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What I recommend is far less important than what the instructor recommends.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

its all about the canon 5d....but realistically look at the rebel xt or xti series.

I work at bestbuy and the later are the two most popular dslrs

I took a digital photography class last year and used an older digital Rebel, worked great, ended up getting a really high A in the class.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Canon Rebel XT
    Canon Rebel XTi
    Canon 20D
    Canon 30D
    Canon 40D

Nikon D50
    Nikon D70S
    Nikon D80

heres a nice way to see whats right for you:
    How to find the best digital slr camera

or buy a used DSLR , then you can spend more $ on better lenses

also reviews:
    Digital Camera Reviews

or see sticky i made at top of forum
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrxnerd View Post
    My g/f is going to take this class. What camera would you guys recommend?
    Ted Felix: JamCam 2.0 Review

seriously though, I'd recommend waiting for the course to start so she can find out what if anything is recommended

as an alternative - head to Circuit City or Best Buy and see what they have as Open Box - there's no return fee if you want to return it in 30 days - she could use a few purchase/return's to try out a couple different cameras

I used to work at Circuit City, and a few of my friends worked at Best Buy - I used to hook people up on Open Box items all the time. Ask them to lower the price so you can afford to put the extended warranty on it - then return the warranty a few days later.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Ted Felix: JamCam 2.0 Review

as an alternative - head to Circuit City or Best Buy and see what they have as Open Box - there's no return fee if you want to return it in 30 days - she could use a few purchase/return's to try out a couple different cameras

I used to work at Circuit City, and a few of my friends worked at Best Buy - I used to hook people up on Open Box items all the time. Ask them to lower the price so you can afford to put the extended warranty on it - then return the warranty a few days later.
    to the first...its no longer that way...i currently work at bestbuy and there is a 10% restock on the cameras...lame i know

second. thats prolly true considering it will happen on any item at bestbuy if you talk to the right person

Quote Originally Posted by c0d4 View Post
    to the first...its no longer that way...i currently work at bestbuy and there is a 10% restock on the cameras...lame i know

second. thats prolly true considering it will happen on any item at bestbuy if you talk to the right person
    Restocking fee on open box items?

Since when? I know there's a restocking fee on new items, and that's why it usually isn't on open box("returned") items since the restocking fee has already been paid.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

you may be right then, i was just certain that it was for all items that retained that 10% restocking fee sticker like computers.

its all quite ridiculous if you ask me

Banned
    I've taken digital photography as well. At my school, each student got a loaner camera. If her instructor doesn't let people rent a camera, then he'll most definitely let the students know what camera he wants you to get, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post

or buy a used DSLR , then you can spend more $ on better lenses
    I'll second Andy's sentiment regarding a used DSLR body and follow that with buying good glass. The lenses make the difference in the image quality. You make the difference in the creativity. Your creativity + good glass makes beautiful images.

I've bought used bodies and moved up with each purchase. I now own bodies that I otherwise would never spend that much $$$ on.

I'll also put in a plug for Canon. I never got used to Nikon lenses screwing on in the wrong direction.

Peace,

Curtis

What up Andy. It's been a long time. Hope all is well.

Yep, it's all about the glass. I shoot Nikon.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.