Should i buy this camera?

This is a discussion on Should i buy this camera? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Power shot S5. I found one on one of the forums for 284 shipped...Im wanting to take pics of cars ...

Should i buy this camera?

Power shot S5. I found one on one of the forums for 284 shipped...Im wanting to take pics of cars and my son. I was wanting a dlsr but i think it would be too much of a camera for me...What do you gus think?
    CGM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PJO42387 View Post
    Power shot S5. I found one on one of the forums for 284 shipped...Im wanting to take pics of cars and my son. I was wanting a dlsr but i think it would be too much of a camera for me...What do you gus think?
    A dslr is never too much camera. I have a Canon Rebel EOS XTI and I could not be happier. Its quite and investment though. Once you get done buying the camera, then you have to buy a lense, memory, ect..
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

You can get a basic DSLR such as the Nikon D40 or Olympus Evolt 410 for only a couple hundred more and they are pretty simple to use (you could just leave it in auto mode) and you will be able to take way better pictures.
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamnRex View Post
    You can get a basic DSLR such as the Nikon D40 or Olympus Evolt 410 for only a couple hundred more and they are pretty simple to use (you could just leave it in auto mode) and you will be able to take way better pictures.
    +1

I've owned 4 digicams over the last several years; none of the others touch the quality of what I can effortlessly get from my D70s. My good friend has a D40, and I think it's outstanding for the price. Of course, all of this presumes that you want really good quality results. If it's no big deal, then the Powershot should be fine.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I have a 7.1 mp powershot, and for me it takes a good of pictures as I could want. I use it at parties taking pictures of the WRX and what not. My biggest complaint is I get allot of red eye.

Ummm. I agree with the DSLR option, but, I have an XTi and it is big and not for everyone. Go to the store and hold them all and play with them. See what makes you go

I also would chose a DSLR but that is just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Black XT View Post
    Ummm. I agree with the DSLR option, but, I have an XTi and it is big and not for everyone.
    Agreed that size of the camera body is a personal preference thing. I actually prefer the larger camera. I can hold it steady easier, it's generally easier for me to grip, and there's less danger of me accidentally covering up a flash or sensor with my fingers.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    it may come down to your intended use. do you want to take photographs or snapshots?
    Thats the thing i want to take both but im more into taking good quality photos, not myspace pics....The reason for not getting a dlsr is because i dont wanna drop that much on sometihng im not gonna use a WHOLE lot....The s5 takes really good photos and snapshots...Ive talked to some friends about it and they think the s5 is the best choice...From my research the s5 is really close to a dlsr...

I already have a myspace camera lol....
    CGM

You can get a Canon digi - Rebel for ~$355 if you watch the sales closely. We picked up a few of them at Office Depot a few months ago. It is simple to use, has fully automated modes for folks that want point & shoot ease of operation and it will take better photos than any P&S camera.

In fact, the digiRebel is the replacement for my last P&S, which I gave to one of my sons. A month later he bought a digiRebel. I drag the digiRebel around when I don't want to carry the 1D MkII.

If you know anyone who works in one of the big box stores (office depot, best buy, etc) ask them to let you use their employee discount and combined with a sale price you will get the digiRebel for a P&S price. Can't lose.

Peace,

Curtis