Looking to get into Photography
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking to get into Photography within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys i've been doing some reading lately and I have been really interested in getting into photography for quite ...

Looking to get into Photography

Hey guys i've been doing some reading lately and I have been really interested in getting into photography for quite some time now, and I'm finally ready to jump in and buy a camera and start learning.

I was looking into a DSLR but I think just getting something like a cannon S4 IS would be more practical. I am looking to shoot still shots, natural stuff, cars, and the occasional sporting event. any help would be much appreciated.

I was also looking at the Rebel XT but it seems like it would be way ove rmy head.

I can get a S5 IS for around $350
    and a Nikon D40 can be had for around $490
    Last edited by Thursday; 03-08-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I could tea-bag your ass into a coma.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Hey guys i've been doing some reading lately and I have been really interested in getting into photography for quite some time now, and I'm finally ready to jump in and buy a camera and start learning.

I was looking into a DSLR but I think just getting something like a cannon S4 IS would be more practical. I am looking to shoot still shots, natural stuff, cars, and the occasional sporting event. any help would be much appreciated.

I was also looking at the Rebel XT but it seems like it would be way ove rmy head.

You can get an XT for around 400 with a kit lens now and days too. It has the same features as the point and shoot so it is easy to use if you want to skip the manual stuff. Check out Amazon, Got my XTi, XTi battery Grip, Sigma 10-20 wide angle lens, 50mm 1.8 lens and Domke bag from Amazon. No problems at all.

I am by no means an expert, I just picked up my stuff about a month ago. You will get good advice here, I know I did. Good luck and good shootin
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

if you really plan on getting into photography as a hobby, i would definitely go for a DSLR. the xt is a great choice, but then again im partial towards canon. i have a 40D myself

about 4 years ago when i started off my photo hobby, i got a canon digital rebel, which is still in use today in my sisters hands. it had all the capabilities i could ask for and was still going strong after 20k+ pics

if you really start getting serious down the line, the 40D or 5D would be excellent choices, but they are quite costly
    Dirty Crew #217 like it dirty? Dirty Thread |
    Military Milita #217 | Hawk-Eye Alliance #217 | Shaved Bumper Alliance #217

What does that mean?! If you dont know the lingo... Abbreviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    If you are going to be crazy....it's best to be crazy with no regard for safety at all

I Support ClubWRX
    DSLR's are nice (I have a Sony Alpha A100) but I always find the need to have a point and shoot too. The Is's are alright I bought a competitor when I first started out, then made the jump to DSLR a year later. The D40x is a base bottom consumer level DSLR and is good for the normal hobbyist. Its small, light and pretty automatic.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

i was thinking about getting into this too... subscribes
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I'm leaning more towards the XT or even the XTi if I can squeeze the extra $$$ out. Photography, ecspecially the kind I see on this site has always fascinated me and I've always wanted to be able to produce things like that, so i figure what better time to start then sophmore year in college.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    I have an XTI its fantastic but save money for glass ive spent way more on lenses than the camera body.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I'm leaning more towards the XT or even the XTi if I can squeeze the extra $$$ out. Photography, ecspecially the kind I see on this site has always fascinated me and I've always wanted to be able to produce things like that, so i figure what better time to start then sophmore year in college.
    then you better invest in photoshop too because many of the best pictures youve seen on this site have been edited

If you are going to be crazy....it's best to be crazy with no regard for safety at all

I have CS2 i've had it for a while now. I'm really focusing in on the XT and the XTi right now, just now sure where the best places to shop are.

I just got an XTi. It's a good camera I had the canon s2 is previously and its really not anymore complicated to use than it was, it has plenty of modes so you can get get as manual or automatic as you want.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

For those of you with experience with both the XT and XTi how much difference is there in the XT and the XTi, is it enough to justify 100-150 more?
    Last edited by Thursday; 03-10-2008 at 11:07 AM.

For those of you with experience with both the XT and XTi how much difference is there in the XT and the XTi, is it enough to justify 100-150 more?

I dont have the XT but I love the dust removing system the XTi offers. I love the XTi and the pictures I have produced with it are awsome. From what I understand, Unless you plan to print poster size pictures, the 8mp and 10mp will make no difference to you.

I agree that Lenses will hurt you at the end, not the camera itself. I spent 580 on my XTi with kit lens and so far spent 600 on 2 lenses. Which is on the cheap side of Lenses. I plan on getting 2 more and will spend about 1200 total on lenses for my XTi. Again, that is on the cheap side on lenses.

Amazon has been good to me so far. B&H and Adorama Photo are awesome. As far as online shopping, those 3 should be your main choices. IMO.

I may be selling my Kit lens soon, it has a filter and I would sell it cheaper than ebay or if you bought new. I will let you know if I do. It would fit the XT or XTi, or the new XSi. It is 1 and a half months old and in perfect condition. I can send photos. I will get myself another walkaround lens soon so I will let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

Quote Originally Posted by msgsti217 View Post
    then you better invest in photoshop too because many of the best pictures youve seen on this site have been edited

people still pay for programs??
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Go to a real camera store with a budget in mind during a time when they are slow. You won't be buying, so you don't want to cost them other customers as well. Look at the DSLRs within your budget, and look at purchasing the one that's easiest to hold, transport, and use BUT also has the best lens selection for your immediate and within reason future needs.

For example -- me. As much as I'd love to shoot Olympus (they make tiny DLSRs and they just announced the world's smallest, their new 420 model) I do not find their lens system attractive and prefer Canon or Nikon lenses. This means I'll borrow or rent a Canon 40D or Nikon D300 enthusiast big-body DSLR and glass, but will own either a smaller Nikon D40x or a Canon Rebel XTi before I buy a smaller still Olympus. All of this is personal preference; with some exceptions (dynamic range and white balance on tricky shots come to mind, and the larger crop factor that I dislike) I'd be hard pressed to get bad shots on an Olympus unless I switched to full manual and did everything wrong on purpose. I'd still go Nikon or Canon though.

The Nikons with the bodies by Giorgetto Giugaro are inherently cool IMO, but that's another story too. Go look at lots of cameras, look at sample shots online, look at discussion fora with user impressions, pick something, and then don't fret about the equipment -- go out and shoot pics until the shutter just plain fails.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    people still pay for programs??
    +1...torrents ftw

i got cs3 design premium...pretty sweet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast