Looking to get into Photography - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Looking to get into Photography within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I personally prefer Nikon, I own a D70s(wish I waited for the D80). I was deciding between it and an ...

I personally prefer Nikon, I own a D70s(wish I waited for the D80). I was deciding between it and an XTi until I held them. The Nikon has more weight and feels "stronger" if that is an applicable adjective. The Canon just felt small and fragile.

Does not take away or add to eithers ability to produce great pics. JMO
    Do yourself a favor and go to a camera store and hold a few. Either Canon or Nikon DSLR, you cant go wrong with what ever budget frame you will work with.

And Yes you WILL spend the same as or more money on lenses than your camera, so budget accordingly.

Boris Rudzinski aka The DirtModJunkie
    Staff Photographer @ DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Racing Connection!
    DirtModJunkiePhotos
    Last edited by DirtModJunkie; 03-14-2008 at 02:47 AM.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey well after all the useful insight i'm finally about to order a rebel xt and a scandisk cf ultra II memory card to get me started.

What i've really wanted to know is how to take and manipulate pictures to look like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...vid/mybike.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I could tea-bag your ass into a coma.

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Hey well after all the useful insight i'm finally about to order a rebel xt and a scandisk cf ultra II memory card to get me started.

What i've really wanted to know is how to take and manipulate pictures to look like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...vid/mybike.jpg
    You and me both. I picked up the XTi about 2 months ago but still have not had a chance to mess with photo shop.

I can do something similar to that with my wide angle lens. Took a picture of a 45 story building just across the street and was able to capture the sidewalk I was standing on along with the top of the building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03-15-2008 045.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

shoot with a fisheye and expose a little under what the meter tells you. pop some fill flash. Then add vignetting, saturation, and contrast in adobe camera raw. thats really a very very simple picture. the hardest part was composing it and finding decent sunlight.
    Bugeye Mafia #185
    Blobeye Syndicate #38
    San Remo Alliance............#002

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
    shoot with a fisheye and expose a little under what the meter tells you. pop some fill flash. Then add vignetting, saturation, and contrast in adobe camera raw. thats really a very very simple picture. the hardest part was composing it and finding decent sunlight.
    wow I guess i'm gonna have to learn a plethora of new camera jargon, that is like a foreign language to me.

EDIT: any guides to help me out in my journey of the photography realm? I've been reading up on ken rockwells site but anything would be helpful.
    Last edited by Thursday; 05-11-2008 at 01:37 PM.

wow I guess i'm gonna have to learn a plethora of new camera jargon, that is like a foreign language to me.

EDIT: any guides to help me out in my journey of the photography realm? I've been reading up on ken rockwells site but anything would be helpful.
    buy this book
    Amazon.com: Photography: Barbara London, John Upton, Jim Stone, Ken Kobré, Betsy Brill: Books

and put your camera on manual and never take it off
    Bugeye Mafia #185
    Blobeye Syndicate #38
    San Remo Alliance............#002

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
    buy this book
    Amazon.com: Photography: Barbara London, John Upton, Jim Stone, Ken Kobré, Betsy Brill: Books

and put your camera on manual and never take it off
    Appreciate the help man

EDIT: ordered the book
    Last edited by Thursday; 05-11-2008 at 05:19 PM.

If you are just getting started, learn how to frame and compose before "vignetting, saturation, contrast..." .
    Albeit, all that stuff can make a crappy pic look good.
    Fisheye lens was the main enhancement in that photo anyway.
    Learn how to take good pics without using that stuff first.
    Altering good pics will make great pics.
    Enjoy

If investing in an "expensive" lens, look for one that will stay at a 2.8f(or less) at 100-200mm. I went to Charlotte Dirt Speedway, and they have Musco brand lighting, the lights they use for NASCAR racing. At 150yds, you didn't even need a flash to shoot. Plan on $1,000-$2,000 budget.
    A powerful lense on an inexpensive camera can still be utilized to it's potential.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

Take a look at this pretty well done site by Canon that explains shutter, aperture, ISO among many other things and how they are all balanced.
    Enjoy! Digital SLR camera

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Yea that canon site is the first thing I stumbled over, pretty niffty.

I think to start out i'm going to keep the camera on some of the built in "creative" settings especially the TV Shutter-Priority AE and just mess with the white balance and exposure compensation until I get a hang with everything. Then in a few weeks or so move up to full manual.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.