Canon 40D impressions

This is a discussion on Canon 40D impressions within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Played a bit with a 40D. In short it's a great camera. A major strength is burst speed, especially when ...

I Support ClubWRX

Canon 40D impressions

Played a bit with a 40D.

In short it's a great camera. A major strength is burst speed, especially when used with the more costly Canon zooms for action sequences. The handling and ergonomics are great; the camera falls into the hand "naturally" and although not small or light, it "shrinks" as you use it and stays out of the way, allowing you to just shoot pictures. I also liked the 3 separate "memories" that allow you to pre-programme the camera however you like, then set that "state" into memory so that you can easily recreate those exact settings for a particular circumstance (example: an early AM dusty rallye stage from 100m out and into the sun will require different ISO and white balance settings than a bride in a white wedding dress holding a red rose while standing on a white ski slope -- and best of luck with either scenario...). In any case, this is a great body for a sporting event.

The live view LCD mode is also useful. I was surprised at this frankly, since I've never used that mode with an SLR. However, it's really handy especially when the camera is on a tripod and one is using a large focal length lens to shoot a faraway object. In this case, live view helps spot the "target" much easier than the viewfinder. This would be interesting to amateur astronomers etc. Interesting point: live view is not as useful for sporting events, as it does not seem that the auto focus functions in live view as it does normally -- an owner can correct me here, but I don't see how to use live view on the 40D to hold the camera high overhead (so as to shoot over a crowd of people) and get accurate focusing on a rapidly moving target.

No matter, I'm nitpicking. If you have the money you owe it to yourself to at least try the camera out. I'd prefer it over the Nikon D200, as it feels "nicer" and better assembled IMO. I don't know about the D300 though.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 01-20-2008 at 04:21 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How would you compare it to a 30D (yes I know it is faster and live view), but my price difference between a 30d and 40d is just over $500. (i have a friend with an unused 30d he is selling very cheap).
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    How would you compare it to a 30D (yes I know it is faster and live view), but my price difference between a 30d and 40d is just over $500. (i have a friend with an unused 30d he is selling very cheap).
    I have a 10D, a 20D, and a 40D (I didn't get a 30D because it wasn't a big jump from the 20D). The 30D is certainly a good camera. If it meets your needs, there's no reason to spend an extra $500 on the 40D. What do you think you could do with the 40D easier than you can with the 30D?

(In my case, I often need to use two bodies, in situations where I won't have time to change lenses. I was using the 20D as my primary and the 10D as my secondary, now I'll retire the 10D and make the 40D my primary.)

I Support ClubWRX
    I have no experience with the 30D so I can't say if the price difference is worth it, sorry. I think the question posed is very good, though -- what additional features would allow you to do something with the 40D that you could not accomplish with the 30D. I can tell you that the live view LCD is handy at times, and that the camera is just plain fast -- responsive, easy to shoot, and burst mode is r a p i d. Whether it's worth it is another question, and each of us will have a different answer (I'd be very hard pressed to chose it over the entry-level Rebel but that's just me; I value compact size and light weight above other factors usually -- it's a personal choice).

Consider renting a body and checking it out; I know a fellow that does that with gear and it works wonders to help make up your mind.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 01-20-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

canon G5,1D,20D and ...

i just got a 40D last week and its still in the box !
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    i just got a 40D last week and its still in the box !
    Congrats, I think you'll really enjoy it! If you look at the body itself, in terms of build quality, it really is very well put together. It's something I'd not hesitate to take along when watching a special stage in (I'd bag it and bring lots of wipes, but I'd not leave it home for fear of the elements). Plus, although I tend to shy away from the added weight and size, the heft makes it much more balanced and "right" to use with any of Canon's beige telephoto lenses, as these tend to be heavier units that dwarf the Rebel body and make it easy to tip it forward when it's set down -- on the 40D, the big lenses look and feel correct.

Good review. I was looking at one of them today, I' was /am considering getting one but I think I might settle for something on the lower end of canon's slr's.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 01-20-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    One advantage of lower-end slrs: they're not as striking to look at. I sometimes go to venues where the organizers allow snapshots but do not allow what they call "pro photo equipment." In realistic terms, this amounts to some cretin at the door not allowing anyone with a beige Canon lens and/or a long zoom lens to enter. In situations like this, a Nikon D40 with the Nikon 18-200mm VR AF-S lens doesn't raise any eyebrows, isn't too heavy to carry around, and can shoot great pics even when flash photography is prohibited (VR really does work and really does afford the user 2 or more f/stops of "slack"). The Canon low-end bodies have another advantage over the Nikons: they come in "consumer" silver livery whereas the Nikons are all black (however, the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens is brilliant IMO and enough reason to shoot Nikon for the $700 lens price).

EDIT: The more I think of it, it really is quite difficult to find a bad DSLR nowadays. We're lucky to have a wide selection of great gear for not much $.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Consider renting a body and checking it out
    That's illegal in most states. (VBG)

I Support ClubWRX
    Bump for pre-PMA new dSLR announcements so far.

The Pentax K20 and K200 (and the Samsung cousins) look very interesting -- not for the increased pixel count but actually for the bodies equipped with seals plus an entry-level price scheme. Rally fans (and even F1 fans too broke for 200-euro grandstand seating...) could definitely use a sealed chassis.

The Canon 450D (Rebel XSi in the US I think) is also interesting. It doesn't appear to be as quick as the 40D but it's still smaller and offers the usual 2008 "must-have" stuff (as do the Pentaxs): live view, etc.

As usual, Nikon are silent. However, it seems D40X production has ceased, and the D40 +/- X models as well as the D80 could be due for an update right about now -- maybe a D80X will show up?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Bump for pre-PMA new dSLR announcements so far.

The Canon 450D (Rebel XSi in the US I think) is also interesting. It doesn't appear to be as quick as the 40D but it's still smaller and offers the usual 2008 "must-have" stuff (as do the Pentaxs): live view, etc.
    There's a decent preview of this here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...50dchanges.asp

(DPREVIEW is a great place to get details on cameras and their forums are a really good place to learn.)