Digital camera buying advice...

This is a discussion on Digital camera buying advice... within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm looking for a digi camera in the range of 0-0. I personally have a Nikon D80 so I'm not ...

I Support ClubWRX

Digital camera buying advice...

I'm looking for a digi camera in the range of $300-$400. I personally have a Nikon D80 so I'm not in need of a DSLR, just a good portable point and shoot for the girlfriend so she'll have something to use instead of continually telling me what I should shoot.

Ideally I'm lookin' for something in the 8 megapixel range with at least some manual control so I can teach her to move away from using auto functions as she gets more comfortable. It's between Nikon's coolpix line and the Canon powershot line at this point. Any recommendations on a model, or even comments on other brands?

I've used the links Weasel555 has stickied but I'm really having trouble finding an easy way to find cameras that meet my criteria. Anyone know anywhere there might be a digi camera checklist/search I can run down to find out what my options are?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy the cheapest Canon with the manual controls you want regardless of pixel resolution and call it a day. For other brands look into Ricoh and Pana(Leica)sonic.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Buy the cheapest Canon with the manual controls you want regardless of pixel resolution and call it a day. For other brands look into Ricoh and Pana(Leica)sonic.
    Thanks for the input. I def. considered the Panasonic because of the glass.

I Support ClubWRX
    Another thing to consider is size and practicality. I now only consider small cameras. I don't have sherpas to carry around a Hasselblad kit so if it doesn't fit into a pocket well or cannot hang around my neck without becoming tiresome they're not getting my money. The smallest, lightest camera with the features you want wins IMO; otherwise, you'll end up leaving it home rather than using it to shoot photos.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

How about a Canon S3IS or a S5IS? Both are nice cameras with some nice zoom range plus it has a host of manual features and creative modes.

Any of Canon's G series are good for manual modes as well.

~Myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Another thing to consider is size and practicality. I now only consider small cameras. I don't have sherpas to carry around a Hasselblad kit so if it doesn't fit into a pocket well or cannot hang around my neck without becoming tiresome they're not getting my money. The smallest, lightest camera with the features you want wins IMO; otherwise, you'll end up leaving it home rather than using it to shoot photos.
    +7,689,654
    This is my starting criteria for camera shopping. If it's at home it doesn't do you any good! In terms of megapixels, I've used 2,4,6,8,and 10 and you definitely notice the difference up until 6. There's no need to go to 8 unless you're going to be blowing up photos to full page size or larger. It's impossible to see the difference between even 4 and 6 in a standard size photo.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm with ya on that. Something small and with the features I need. It's not going to be for me, although it will be pretty convenient to have a more portable camera with manual features so I can use it when I don't feel like lugging around the D80.

Me and the Fiancee just bought this model, http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot...0539699&sr=8-1

It takes decent shots, has a b+w mode, a semi-manual exposure mode, in camera editing, etc. Just doesn't have an EVF, so all shots have to be composed with the screen on back. We were also looking at this offering from canon, looks to have more features, but it would've been too difficult for point and shooting that my fiancee desires

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...0539699&sr=8-6

Good luck w/ yr purchase!
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    every time anyone asks to drive my car - even valets I say "no". when they say "what's the big deal?" I say "would you let someone wear your underwear? would you let someone have sex with your girlfriend? ....same thing."

If you dont need much zoom and want something pretty compact, Ive been pretty impressed with my fathers Fuji Z10. Takes very nice pictures for a simple point and shoot and at a pretty decent price.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Fujif...oductDetail.do
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

I Support ClubWRX
    granted, this doesn't really fit your criteria, and nor meaning to threadjack...
    but what about the Olympus Evolt e-300 or e-500? I've been looking for a nice camera for awhile, now, as well..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    And to complete the circle...

I just purchased a Canon PowerShot A720 IS. It's under $200, 8mp, 6x optical zoom, image stabilization, has manual settings, it's as compact as I need it to be, and it's afforded me the ability to also get a nice case, a set of rechargable Ni-MH batteries, and a 1 GB memory card. The only consistent cons I've heard about it are long flash recycle time and a little noisy past 800 ISO. I can live with that.

That should be plenty for the lady's valentines day present. She'll never notice the flash recycle time and won't be shooting a lot above 800 ISO. She's a beginner at photography so it's the perfect platform to start IMO. It'll fit in her purse and I'll be able to show her how to get into manual photography eventually... and she can stop tellin' me what to take pictures of.

I'll eventually be able to get ahold of it and try it for myself, so I'll try to post up a review and some pix once the new car smell has worn off. As a Nikon fanboy, I just have to see what Canon's got.