Good camera or not
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

This is a discussion on Good camera or not within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey i just found my mom's old camera that she doesnt use any more. It's a Minolta QT si maxxum ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Bd sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Centreville,VA
    Posts
    360

    Good camera or not

    hey i just found my mom's old camera that she doesnt use any more.

    It's a Minolta QT si maxxum . She also has a 28-80 mm lense and a 100-300mm. Does it take good pictures?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,982
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bd sti View Post
    Does it take good pictures?
    That's an empirical question. Note also that given equipment that works as designed, picture quality is largely up to the photographer, not the gear.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  4. #3
    Registered User Bd sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Centreville,VA
    Posts
    360
    alright well i dont know to much about taking pictures. I just didnt know if it was a nice camera or not

  5. #4
    Banned Subie do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Posts
    2,595
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That's an empirical question. Note also that given equipment that works as designed, picture quality is largely up to the photographer, not the gear.
    +1

    Go try it out and post here.

  6. #5
    Registered User Bd sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Centreville,VA
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Subie do View Post
    +1

    Go try it out and post here.
    yea ill go out tomorrow and take some

  7. #6
    Resident meany-rator 06wrx4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    11,489
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can buy a sony alpha a100 body and use those lenses.

    I have several Minolta lenses with my Sony Alpha A100 DSLR.


    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-10-.../dp/B000DZFWL4
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

    06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

    COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Bd sti View Post
    hey i just found my mom's old camera that she doesnt use any more.

    It's a Minolta QT si maxxum . She also has a 28-80 mm lense and a 100-300mm. Does it take good pictures?
    I'm not sure about that particular model, but generally Minolta SLRs were pretty good. BUt the big question is whether you want to use a film SLR these day? Learning to shoot well with film requires a bigger investment in time - you have to go out and buy film and then go back to the store to process it, and then return again to get the prints. As a serious photographer for 30 years, I think that digital is a much better way to learn - you can shoot, see the results, make adjustments, shoot, etc. I've been all digital for about 5 years.

    As for the value of what you've found, film camera bodies sell for very little these days. With the lenses, are they Minolta brand? You may be able to use them on the Sony DSLRs (Minolta was bought by Konica, and then Sony) but older lenses may not be compatible.

    Finally, if you do want to get into photography serious, think about what type of shooting you'd like to do and how much money you have to spare for equipment. Based on that, I'd be happy to make a recommendation on gear. FYI, if you're curious about what I shoot, check out here:

    www.pbase.com/jeffp25

    especially here:
    http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25/ukvehicles2007

    I've only had my WRX for two weeks, and no time to get any good shots of it yet.

  9. #8
    Registered User Bd sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Centreville,VA
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp25 View Post
    I'm not sure about that particular model, but generally Minolta SLRs were pretty good. BUt the big question is whether you want to use a film SLR these day? Learning to shoot well with film requires a bigger investment in time - you have to go out and buy film and then go back to the store to process it, and then return again to get the prints. As a serious photographer for 30 years, I think that digital is a much better way to learn - you can shoot, see the results, make adjustments, shoot, etc. I've been all digital for about 5 years.

    As for the value of what you've found, film camera bodies sell for very little these days. With the lenses, are they Minolta brand? You may be able to use them on the Sony DSLRs (Minolta was bought by Konica, and then Sony) but older lenses may not be compatible.

    Finally, if you do want to get into photography serious, think about what type of shooting you'd like to do and how much money you have to spare for equipment. Based on that, I'd be happy to make a recommendation on gear. FYI, if you're curious about what I shoot, check out here:

    www.pbase.com/jeffp25

    especially here:
    http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25/ukvehicles2007

    I've only had my WRX for two weeks, and no time to get any good shots of it yet.
    Yea the lenses is minolta. im just trying to get some nice pictures of my car. thanks a lot for the help

  10. #9
    Registered User Bd sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Centreville,VA
    Posts
    360












    thats a few that i took.. what do you guys think

  11. #10

    Admin - Scooby Hooligan

    Weasel 555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    UK,NY,AK,FL
    Posts
    23,158
    I Support ClubWRX
    very nice
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

    I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

  12. #11
    Banned Subie do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Posts
    2,595
    They look good to me!

  13. #12
    Registered User Bd sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Centreville,VA
    Posts
    360
    Thanks guys

  14. #13
    Resident meany-rator 06wrx4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    11,489
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice!! Now buy the Sony Alpha A100 body to use with your Minolta lenses and throw that film body away!!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

    06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

    COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Bd sti View Post

    thats a few that i took.. what do you guys think
    Well, as you want my honest opinion, I'll give it. Not bad (VBG).

  16. #15
    Registered User Bd sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Centreville,VA
    Posts
    360
    It was my first time trying this whole picture thing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •