Finally made up my mind on camera.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

This is a discussion on Finally made up my mind on camera. within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, I finally decided which camera I will buy. Looks like the Rebel XTi it will be. My question now ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Black XT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    957

    Finally made up my mind on camera.

    Well, I finally decided which camera I will buy.
    Looks like the Rebel XTi it will be.

    My question now is,(I know, I ask too many) is the Kit lens really worth it?

    I was thinking of getting the following lenses.

    Canon EF 50mm F1.8II
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8...9961067&sr=1-1

    and

    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=112UMNNRT0PGR



    Is this a good idea?
    I picked the 1.8 instead of the 1.4 because of the price level. I want to start off slow and pick up from there.

    The reason I am thinking about not getting the Kit lens is because without the lens the price drops $70 and that is about the price of the 1.8.
    Any suggestions would be great. (remember, I = noob.)
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User big_sur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Goode, VA
    Posts
    46
    the 50mm 1.8 is the best $100 you will ever spend on your camera

  4. #3
    Registered User mykedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    1,331
    I'd recommend just buy the body without the kit lens and pick up the 50mm 1.8 for now.

    Learn how to control the camera properly in the manual modes (M, TV, AV) with the 50mm. A 1.8 will be so much better to learn to control apatures cs the kit lens which is 3.5 at the widest end.

    After a few months, you will realize what lenses you are missing. More telephoto or more wide angle and then purchase your lenses.

    Then comes the hard part of choosing which L lens you can afford lol
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

  5. #4
    Registered User flat_tire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    103

    50mm 1.8 FTW

    I previously had the Canon Digital Rebel XT and those are the same lenses I bought as well. I would definitely recommend the 50mm because (as said above) it is the best $100 you can spend on the camera. You really need this lense for any in door shooting (if you don't want to use the flash).

    I would, however, recommend getting the kit lens. As you mentioned it only changes the cost ~$70 but it allows you to do much more. With the 1.6 sensor multiplier the 50mm acts more as a 80mm lens and it is nice to have something a little wider. The kit lense gives more range and more options.

    I did really enjoy the 70-300mm lens for the fact that you do not have to get that close to the subject. I mainly used it for rally-x or other motorsport events where you were limited in how close you could get to the track. It is a cheap(er) lens and if you enjoy using it, you will quickly want a better one (with IS).

    -CZ

    Just thought I would share a picture I have at work. This was taken with the 50mm (about 16 months ago?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tyson0001smaller.JPG  
    Last edited by flat_tire; 01-10-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added picture

  6. #5
    Banned Subie do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Posts
    2,595
    Guess that other site didnt workout? lol

    I bought a 70-300mm and love it. I'd keep the kit lens, as flat_tire mentioned it's a pretty good lens. Some people like to jump right in and get the best stuff but I think it's better to progress your skills with the stock lens, then upgrade. That way you can look back and see what worked and what didn't. But thats just my 2 cents, I'm no pro.

    The first few days I just read the manual/book to get use to all the buttons and whistles.

  7. #6
    Resident meany-rator 06wrx4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    11,449
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have a 50mm 1.7 I never use. It seems to be too telephoto for indoors. I really want a 28mm to replace it with.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

    06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

    COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

  8. #7
    Registered User Black XT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    the 50mm 1.8 is the best $100 you will ever spend on your camera


    I have seen some of the pictures taken with that lens and I will have to agree. For Portraits, it cant be beat for the price.



    I will most definately buy a lens with IS soon but like most of you said, get to know the camera and capabilities first.

    I bought a book that gives me an idea of what to expect just to get an idea. I will definetely learn more about that camera once I get going.

    Does anyone have any other suggestions for lenses. Like I said earlier, I dont want to spend alot right now. I love the 50mm 1.8 for the child and dog portraits. The Sigma looks good on paper but would anyone else have any suggestions?

    Looks like keeping the kit lens may be an option after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

  9. #8
    Registered User Black XT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    957
    Another thing. How worried should one be about dust getting on the sensor? If i am careful when switching lenses, is it still an issue? How much $$$ to clean it and will the XTi's self cleaning features really help?
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

  10. #9
    Registered User Black XT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_tire View Post
    I previously had the Canon Digital Rebel XT and those are the same lenses I bought as well. I would definitely recommend the 50mm because (as said above) it is the best $100 you can spend on the camera. You really need this lense for any in door shooting (if you don't want to use the flash).

    I would, however, recommend getting the kit lens. As you mentioned it only changes the cost ~$70 but it allows you to do much more. With the 1.6 sensor multiplier the 50mm acts more as a 80mm lens and it is nice to have something a little wider. The kit lense gives more range and more options.

    I did really enjoy the 70-300mm lens for the fact that you do not have to get that close to the subject. I mainly used it for rally-x or other motorsport events where you were limited in how close you could get to the track. It is a cheap(er) lens and if you enjoy using it, you will quickly want a better one (with IS).

    -CZ

    Just thought I would share a picture I have at work. This was taken with the 50mm (about 16 months ago?).




    Nice Picture!!! That is exactly what I am looking for with the 50mm.

    Did you have the Sigma 70-300mm as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

  11. #10
    Resident meany-rator 06wrx4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    11,449
    I Support ClubWRX
    buy UV filters for all your lenses. They are cheap and you don't have to worry about scratching them.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

    06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

    COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

  12. #11
    Registered User flat_tire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Black XT View Post
    Nice Picture!!! That is exactly what I am looking for with the 50mm.

    Did you have the Sigma 70-300mm as well?
    Yes, I did have the sigma 70-300mm as well, and I did enjoy this lens. It was difficult to use sometimes because it was fairly clunky. Because of the limited aperture settings it could only be used when there was enough light. I used it for action shots from a distance, and therefore it needed lots of light to ensure no blur.

    It also had a macro setting, but unfortunately it was very difficult to get off of the macro setting. It had a mechanical switch that would not work very well (this might have been just our lens). Because I experienced a lot of camera shake when fully zoomed out (worsened by low light conditions) I would have liked to get the IS lens. I have moved over to Nikon now (D200) and my next telephoto lens will definitely have VR (vibration reduction = canon's IS). This will just require me to wait a while longer to save up the money.

    Anyway here is another picture taken with the Sigma 70-300. This picture was taken from ~100 yards away. Second picture is obviously of my dog sprinting towards me along the beach. The lens was able to focus and take a nice clear picture of a moving object. In case you can't tell, I like my dogs.

    Hope this helps,
    CZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beach13.jpg   beach12.jpg  
    Last edited by flat_tire; 01-11-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added another picture

  13. #12
    Registered User Black XT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_tire View Post
    Yes, I did have the sigma 70-300mm as well, and I did enjoy this lens. It was difficult to use sometimes because it was fairly clunky. Because of the limited aperture settings it could only be used when there was enough light. I used it for action shots from a distance, and therefore it needed lots of light to ensure no blur.

    It also had a macro setting, but unfortunately it was very difficult to get off of the macro setting. It had a mechanical switch that would not work very well (this might have been just our lens). Because I experienced a lot of camera shake when fully zoomed out (worsened by low light conditions) I would have liked to get the IS lens. I have moved over to Nikon now (D200) and my next telephoto lens will definitely have VR (vibration reduction = canon's IS). This will just require me to wait a while longer to save up the money.

    Anyway here is another picture taken with the Sigma 70-300. This picture was taken from ~100 yards away. Second picture is obviously of my dog sprinting towards me along the beach. The lens was able to focus and take a nice clear picture of a moving object. In case you can't tell, I like my dogs.

    Hope this helps,
    CZ


    Looks like my Boston Terrier.
    It seems like the Sigma is a good choice for the price. I will definetely get a UV filter for the lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •