What size photos?

This is a discussion on What size photos? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I want to become more involved in posting pictures with you all, but haven't found a end-all solution to resizing ...

I Support ClubWRX

What size photos?

I want to become more involved in posting pictures with you all, but haven't found a end-all solution to resizing my photos to meet the file size requirements. Forgive me for my ignorance with photoshop, but what pixel dimensions and resolution are ideal for keeping the file size down but still keeping a quality image?

If it matters, I shoot raw .NEF, and convert to a "fine jpeg" according to Nikon standards.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I use an image utility called Irfanview for simple things like resizing, it's free and quick, compared to PS.

http://irfanview.com/

Usually I go to 800x600 pixels; sometimes I'll post up at 1024x768 if I feel I'm not conveying the level of detail that I want.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Banned
    That is a killer link Ray. I hate when something that simple is made difficult because the software is not available.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I use an image utility called Irfanview for simple things like resizing, it's free and quick, compared to PS.

http://irfanview.com/

Usually I go to 800x600 pixels; sometimes I'll post up at 1024x768 if I feel I'm not conveying the level of detail that I want.
    How about the resolution at 800x600 or 1024x768?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    1024 x 768 is about as big as I'd post. Anything smaller and you are fine.

I have Irfanview on every comp I own.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

When I post on my own site, I go 2000 wide, (and then however tall it comes out to be.) But when posting on forums, the pictures never come out right, so I just go with what fits for the software of the forum. Usually 800 wide is about all it can go. Some forum stuff will resize automatically, but the ones that don't really fight with stuff over about 800 wide.
    (And I have never heard of irfanview. But I spend so much time in photoshop, that I just do everything there.)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Whatever DPI you start with, you reduce it to those dimensions to make it fit well in people's browser windows. Though some of us are running 1600x1200 or more, a lot of people are stuck with a lot less.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    (And I have never heard of irfanview. But I spend so much time in photoshop, that I just do everything there.)
    Photoshop is the standard for doing any real work on an image, agreed. But I can fire up Irfanview, change the resolution, save it off and be back out before PS finishes firing up.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Photoshop is the standard for doing any real work on an image, agreed. But I can fire up Irfanview, change the resolution, save it off and be back out before PS finishes firing up.
    yup. I use a lot of PS but find myself using Irfanview cause of its speed. I also use it for batch conversions and resizes. Interface is very easy to use and fast. Allows quick one box click to delete exif data, I'm a fan.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE