35mm SLR, What to look for?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 35mm SLR, What to look for? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, I was looking at Amazon.com and found a Canon EOS k2 with the lens new for 0. Free delivery ...

35mm SLR, What to look for?

Well, I was looking at Amazon.com and found a Canon EOS k2 with the lens new for $170. Free delivery too.

Is this a good deal? Any other cameras come to mind? Any ideas would be great. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No interest in a digital slr?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    No interest in a digital slr?

I would love one but I am doing this as a hobbie. I did see a Canon DSLR for $420. (body only). I am not sure that $700 for a camera would be wise in my situation.

I also suck at computers and would have to call my brother (Artist, graphic designer, freak) when I downloaded the pictures or wanted to print them.

Another thing is that I am familiar with the 35mm back in Highschool.

I cant justify spending more for a Digital. What are the advantages for me. I dont plan to take this further than just a hobbie or cute pictures of my daughter.

If anyone can help me with the advantages of a digital over a 35mm, that would be good too. I am really a noob to this so please be patient

The advantages to you of a digital are:
    1) No cost of film.
    2) You don't have to pay to develop pictures you don't want. Just print what you want.
    3) Share pictures with friends and family for free.
    4) Post pictures online without having to buy a scanner.
    5) Take more pictures without fear of wasting film. Click away and delete whatever you don't want. Take it from a guy with 2 kids, you get much better pictures of your kids this way since you're not constantly waiting for the perfect shot. Just keep clicking away and see which ones come out nice.
    6) Digitally crop/zoom pictures.
    7) Digitally fix things like red eye.
    8) Smaller size / Portability. A film camera can never be anywhere near the small size of a digital. You can take it anywhere with you and you'll be more likely to get shots of your kid and other things.

Those are the things that immediately come to mind, but I'm sure there's other advantages. In the long run, a digital camera will cost you less because of these things and you'll overall be happier with it. Just one guy's opinion.

As for learning to use the camera with your computer, it's really easy:
    1. Plug one end of cable into computer.
    2. Plug other end of cable into camera.
    3. Turn on camera.
    4. Open Windows explorer and go to the camera, which will be listed in your folder list.
    5. Copy the pictures you want to your computer.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The advantages to you of a digital are:
    1) No cost of film.
    2) You don't have to pay to develop pictures you don't want. Just print what you want.
    3) Share pictures with friends and family for free.
    4) Post pictures online without having to buy a scanner.
    5) Take more pictures without fear of wasting film. Click away and delete whatever you don't want. Take it from a guy with 2 kids, you get much better pictures of your kids this way since you're not constantly waiting for the perfect shot. Just keep clicking away and see which ones come out nice.
    6) Digitally crop/zoom pictures.
    7) Digitally fix things like red eye.
    8) Smaller size / Portability. A film camera can never be anywhere near the small size of a digital. You can take it anywhere with you and you'll be more likely to get shots of your kid and other things.

Those are the things that immediately come to mind, but I'm sure there's other advantages. In the long run, a digital camera will cost you less because of these things and you'll overall be happier with it. Just one guy's opinion.

As for learning to use the camera with your computer, it's really easy:
    1. Plug one end of cable into computer.
    2. Plug other end of cable into camera.
    3. Turn on camera.
    4. Open Windows explorer and go to the camera, which will be listed in your folder list.
    5. Copy the pictures you want to your computer.

+100

Trust another guy with two kids as well... Digital is the only way to go. Additionally, as stated it will be cheaper in the long run because it is way more efficient then film (especially for novice photographers). The only way I would recommend film is if you are a seriously skilled film person with your own development setup.
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    GO DSLR!! You will spend the additional up front money in film and processing in less than a year.

If you want a good cheap "hobby camera" the nikon d40 is a good start for a newb.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-.../dp/B000KJQ1DG

To give you an idea in cost savings of just taking pictures:

avg film cost for 27 exposure 400 speed ~ $10. You have to get them developed ~ $10.

So every 27 exposures good or bad it costs you $20. Figure you'll take 1000 pics the first year.

1000 pics /27 picsperroll =~37 rolls of film. Thats $370 in developing costs $370 in film purchasing costs.

In the first year alone without any editing or blown up pics you are in it $740 in film processing + $170 for the camera. Thats $910 and only for 1 year.

Keep in mind I have had my DSLR for over a year and shot 8000 pics, done tons of digital editing and had several prints blown up 20x30.

Now which is cheaper?

Go digital
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 12-30-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

It all depends on if you want to just shoot or actually understand what the camera is doing when you click the shutter release. IMO film is the best way to learn. Keep a notebook and write down each exposure. Note the aperature and shutter speed, light conditions, ISO of film, flash or not etc. Trial and error. I took photo classes in highschool and learned TONS! I took my photo 12 class 3 times and ended up teaching when my teacher was off for 2 months with a broken leg (easy credits ).
    If you want to just shoot and have the perfect exposure every time and the ability to see the picture seconds after it's taken go digital. Digital is much easier to use. Mind you film is easy to use if you stick to 400iso film and keep it on the auto setting... It's really up to you. You will have to pay for the advantages of digital though.
    Goodluck!
    Curent: 1988 VW Golf Cabby
    6-8 months: 2006 JPB STi

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    To give you an idea in cost savings of just taking pictures:

avg film cost for 27 exposure 400 speed ~ $10. You have to get them developed ~ $10.

So every 27 exposures good or bad it costs you $20. Figure you'll take 1000 pics the first year.

1000 pics /27 picsperroll =~37 rolls of film. Thats $370 in developing costs $370 in film purchasing costs.
    Solution: Spend $370 and buy the equiptment to develop is yourself. Learn a lot and use the old school "photoshop"
    Curent: 1988 VW Golf Cabby
    6-8 months: 2006 JPB STi

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyroo View Post
    Keep a notebook and write down each exposure. Note the aperature and shutter speed, light conditions, ISO of film, flash or not etc. Trial and error. I took photo classes in highschool and learned TONS! I took my photo 12 class 3 times...
    This is fine... when you are in high school and have all the time in the world. Try this when you are an adult that works 50-70 hours a week and you want to capture the birth of your child or when at some family event/holiday/birthday when you have multiple/several kids running around that all want to touch your camera equipment and your wife is going on about this or that, etc., etc...

Solution: Spend $370 and buy the equiptment to develop is yourself. Learn a lot and use the old school "photoshop"
    That's certainly a good option for someone with a serious passion (and the time and space for equipment...) to learn in-depth photography skills. However, not really a good option for somebody that just wants to take a bunch of nice pictures of their kids. Most people with kids do not have the motivation to invest the time needed for all that (unless they are a serious photography enthusiast, etc.). Additionally, this guy is already sweating a few hundred dollars in camera price, I doubt he would be up for the whole "home development" gig.

+1 for the Nikon D40

I have a Nikon D70 and have been very happy with it.
    Last edited by TheJ; 12-30-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    -The J

I Support ClubWRX
    This is fine... when you are in high school and have all the time in the world. Try this when you are an adult that works 50-70 hours a week and you want to capture the birth of your child or when at some family event/holiday/birthday when you have multiple/several kids running around that all want to touch your camera equipment and your wife is going on about this or that, etc., etc...
    +9000

I vaguely remember having all that time to just pursue hobbies endlessly...it's beginning to fade.

I was a holdout; I used to have my own darkroom setup, and took great joy in staying up nights optimizing my prints. Once I finally moved to digital, there was no going back.

I'm usually the guy who advocates PC's, but if the OP is not good with computers, and wants to engage in the digicam hobby, a Mac is a great option. Even my wife can manage it, print, make adjustments, etc, in iPhoto, and she's tech-useless.

And I'll also cast my vote for the D-series of Nikons, though the Rebels are also very nice. Seems like anyone can get great prints out of a Rebel.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    OK but you still gotta buy the film. $370 a year to buy film blows. Unless you know of a method to make your own out of toilet paper and table varnish....
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+858,578,234,243,875
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    OK but you still gotta buy the film. $370 a year to buy film blows. Unless you know of a method to make your own out of toilet paper and table varnish....
    Yep, and you've spent nothing 'til you decide to print something. I wasted uncountable rolls of film looking for that "perfect shot". Plus the digicam spoils you by letting you take a look at the picture instantly, even if it is on a small screen.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Is there a 35mm that has a screen in the back? I thought some of the 35mm SLR's let you choose which picture to keep? I am probably wrong.

If i were to get a digital, what printer would you guys suggest? I will probably get my brothers Ibook or some mac laptop from 3 years ago but I need a printer if I get a digital. I have an old printer that will not be good with printing pictures.

Thank you again for your opinions, it is definately helping me. So a nikon or Rebel would be good?

This has me thinking digital. Especially about the wife talking too much "Put the camera down and help me with the cake"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast