35mm SLR, What to look for? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 35mm SLR, What to look for? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First, Happy New Years to everyone!!! Second, Thank you to all that have posted. I saw this http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...9170777&sr=8-2 It looks ...

First, Happy New Years to everyone!!!

Second, Thank you to all that have posted. I saw this http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...9170777&sr=8-2

It looks like a good deal and $50 more than the Body only. I will be traveling to Romainia in 3 months and will get it right before then. I will bring back some nice pics for you guys. (Remember, low standards for me)

I was able to convince my Significant other that Digital is cheaper in the end and she agreed. So Again, Thank you to everyone that has posted.

Please continue to post, I am extremely noobish to photography and all my highschool wisdom has long passed. I am reading the other posts and am getting great info as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by njazwrx
    is that after he attempts to rape my dead corpse?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As far as lenses, is Canon only products suggested or is there another alternative? I saw this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=112UMNNRT0PGR

I dont mean that I will get that exact lens but as an example, is this a good alternative to Canon lenses?

Sigma is a great alternative to Canon lenses. For a beginner the 70-300 is an awesome telephoto zoom. I would personally go with the Canon lenses just because I haven't had a chance to shoot with the Sigma's. I do have a few friends who have a few Sigma lenses and they haven't been dissapointed yet. If the price is right go for it!
    What do you plan on shooting? Candids, landscapes, action.. a combination of all three?
    Curent: 1988 VW Golf Cabby
    6-8 months: 2006 JPB STi

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyroo View Post
    Sigma is a great alternative to Canon lenses. For a beginner the 70-300 is an awesome telephoto zoom. I would personally go with the Canon lenses just because I haven't had a chance to shoot with the Sigma's. I do have a few friends who have a few Sigma lenses and they haven't been dissapointed yet. If the price is right go for it!
    What do you plan on shooting? Candids, landscapes, action.. a combination of all three?
    Landscapes would be my first choice. My hope is to travel to Ireland and head to the Cliffs of Mohr (SP?). Those look like a fun shoot.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Black XT View Post
    Landscapes would be my first choice. My hope is to travel to Ireland and head to the Cliffs of Mohr (SP?). Those look like a fun shoot.

Buy a quick release tripod with removable base pad. They start at about $30 but worth every penny, crucial to landscape shots.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Buy a quick release tripod with removable base pad. They start at about $30 but worth every penny, crucial to landscape shots.
    +1 Some of them collapse to a very small size, so they are fairly easy to travel with. I do a fair amount of landscape and nature photography, and every time I go out without a tripod I end up kicking myself for forgetting one

I'd go with the Canon lenses. You can't go wrong with them as far as I'm concerned. I don't have any experience with Sigma lenses either.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I shot sigma stuff like they were going out of style when I shot film. I could not tell the difference in 95&#37; of my shots from the big dollar lenses. Unless you require the highest level of perfection in your shots, you will never know the difference other than your pocket book. And the difference in quality will be more in your step up in bodies than your step up to Canon from Sigma lenses. If I were to buy a $500 digital deal, I would not spend my money on big dollar lenses. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post

I was just shopping around for one and saw one that collapses to a real small size.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    I shot sigma stuff like they were going out of style when I shot film. I could not tell the difference in 95&#37; of my shots from the big dollar lenses. Unless you require the highest level of perfection in your shots, you will never know the difference other than your pocket book. And the difference in quality will be more in your step up in bodies than your step up to Canon from Sigma lenses. If I were to buy a $500 digital deal, I would not spend my money on big dollar lenses. JMO

That makes sense to me. I see these cameras starting at 1500 or 2000 and I could understand putting a bigger investment to lenses then. I just want to have decent shots and a hobby that involves the outdoors.

I can no longer play soccer so I need something new. Loved it before with my parents Canon 35mm SLR and just never really thought about going back untill now.

I will probably end up going with Sigma if the price is right.
    Last edited by Black XT; 01-02-2008 at 10:23 PM.

I was looking at memory cards and found some from a seller that I have dealt with before. Prices are about 70 percent cheaper than other places. Now my question is, whats the difference between this

http://cgi.ebay.com/SanDisk-4GB-CF-U...QQcmdZViewItem

and this

http://cgi.ebay.com/SanDisk-4GB-CF-E...QQcmdZViewItem

I Support ClubWRX
    Late to the party but if I were to buy a film SLR I'd pick up a Nikon F4 (S or not, doesn't matter) for little coin these days and play around with it, pretending it's 18 years ago and I'm on assignment, covering the fall of the Berlin wall or something.

Or I'd get a rangefinder Leica M3 and pretend I'm Bond, breaking into the Soviet embassy in Constantinople.

If reality were to get in the way I'd get a DSLR that's light and small, like the intro Rebel XTi or Nikon D40/40x kits.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Black XT View Post
    I was looking at memory cards and found some from a seller that I have dealt with before. Prices are about 70 percent cheaper than other places. Now my question is, whats the difference between this

http://cgi.ebay.com/SanDisk-4GB-CF-U...QQcmdZViewItem

and this

http://cgi.ebay.com/SanDisk-4GB-CF-E...QQcmdZViewItem
    Flash speed (write speed) to the card from the camera. The Extreme III is supposedly faster than the first one. Not a problem unless you are taking action shots. Then you definately want the faster card.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 01-02-2008 at 10:33 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

The Ultra II has a 9mb read/write speed and the Extreme III has a 20mb read/write speed. IMO the Extreme III is the superior of the two. Not to mention a GREAT price!
    Curent: 1988 VW Golf Cabby
    6-8 months: 2006 JPB STi

Wow!

You guys are good. Yea, the price is great. I bought a memory card for my phone for dirt cheap and it works great. Not to mention that he has a 99.7&#37; positive feedback with over 34,000 items sold, not bad.

I am a freaking dork and probably dont need the Extreme III but you never know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast