New to phtography, help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to phtography, help! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok guys, I really want to get a new hobby once I move to San Francisco, and I think photography ...

New to phtography, help!

Ok guys, I really want to get a new hobby once I move to San Francisco, and I think photography is pretty cool. I want to get a good camera with some good lenses. I went and looked a a Nikon D40 and D80, is that a good beginners camra(s)? Lead me in the right direction!
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Go to www.kenrockwell.com and read his stuff. He's an established photographer with an eye toward value. The models you mentioned are among those he owns. He pays for everything he talks about on his own, and gives honest opinions.

I've shot a D80 and it's a fine camera, particularly with the 18-200 mm do-it-all VR lens. I'd probably prefer the D40 or D40x for its lower weight and smaller size; I'm torn on the subject myself but I'm leaning toward one of the 40s instead of the 80, as I know I'd not miss much of the 80s additional features compared to the 40.

Remember, nowadays digital SLRs have a finite lifetime. The lenses are what to look for, as these can be carried on to the next body.

Rockwell also reviews some Canon stuff and lots of other gear.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Canon FTW!

I personally like the Rebel XTi, I have one and it's great. One of my friends has the D80, it's super quite compared to mine.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've also shot the Rebel XTi and it too is a nice camera. I prefer a specific Nikon lens, but other than that, and ergonomic preferences (user interface. button placement etc.) it'd be difficult to decide between Canon or Nikon.

Here's an interesting read, and I found it very inspiring and telling: "Why your camera does not matter."
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Save money by not purchasing Photoshop (use GIMP) and put that towards your camera. Buy photoshop in about a year.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I've shot with both a Canon Digital Rebel XT and XTi numerous times and have liked both of them. I agree with the assertion that the camera itself does not matter much, it is the person behind it that counts. Try Canons and Nikons, and whichever interface you prefer would probably be the best choice for you.

I've tried a Nikon D80, and while the pictures were nice, I personally prefer the layout of the Canon ever so slightly over the Nikon. I'm probably going to be picking up an XTi myself after Christmas, but the only other reason besides the interface is that I already have two Canon EF lenses from my 35mm camera.

I Support ClubWRX

Don't buy a camera magazine

I'll preface this by saying I don't recommend buying a photo magazine, or taking them seriously. The vast majority simply regurgitate specifications provided by manufacturers, amounting to little more than a large cover-to-cover advertisement collection. Their tests are generally not as informative as the opinions of experienced users.

However, at the supermarket I saw the Dec 07 issue of PCPhoto, and inside there was an article on shooting urban environments. San Francisco was specifically mentioned. If you're shopping for groceries and have a few minutes, look on page 54. It might give you some ideas on subjects, techniques, and so on. Keep in mind that to get wild colours, time of day is crucial, and I'd recommend getting up before dawn and/or being around at dusk so your reds and oranges are BAM!

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Save money by not purchasing Photoshop (use GIMP) and put that towards your camera. Buy photoshop in about a year.

Or just download photo shop via torrents...uh I mean just kidding. Yes Cavallino does not endorse illegal downloading.

I'm a big fan of Canon cameras. I don't have a fancy SLR but my Power Shot S2 IS has been great.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I like the Canon pocket digis better than the Nikon counterparts actually. I've used an A40, despite its terrible shutter lag and next picture delay, and despite its tendency to overexpose by a click or so, for years. The thing's been everywhere with me. At some point I'll have to update my pocket camera and get something more modern, but until the existing Canon gives up the ghost it's hard to justify another purchase.

A digital SLR does away with power on delay, shutter lag, and next picture lag, and for those reasons alone it's worth looking into IMO. I'd still want a smaller pocket-sized digital cam though, and for that I'd go with Canon (or maybe Panasonic/Leica) rather than Nikon (ergonomics). This is the opposite of what I'd chose for an SLR. Go figure...

Dont use gimp, get photoshop, its pretty easy to find for free.

Kenrockwell.com is a nice collection of tips for just starting but half the things on there are quite misleading, he doesn't really know that much and he is a bit full of himself so take it with a grain of salt.

all DSLRs take good photos. its the photographer and lens that makes them great. Nikon and Canon are the best brands hands down but Canon has better colors and lenses(don't argue with me on this, i assist 2 photographers one shoots canon and the other nikon). unless your pro the brand you shoot wont matter, just see what works best for you.

look at the highest ranked or most favorited photos on deviantart.com for inspiration and really study them and try to figure out how you can take a similar picture.

Shoot MANUAL. find good light, good compositions, and good moments.
    Bugeye Mafia #185
    Blobeye Syndicate #38
    San Remo Alliance............#002

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
    Kenrockwell.com... is a bit full of himself so take it with a grain of salt.
    He has been called the Chuck Norris of photo bloggers, capable of superhuman (non)feats and so on... Still, he's not shy about providing an opinion. I disagree with him on the D40 and the D40x (he prefers one over the other, I prefer the opposite one), but I fully agree with him on the Nikkor 18-200 VR: great lens for the non-pro that wants to shoot anything/everything with no tripod (though it is plastic and it does zoom creep). His book recommendations are worth looking into (free at a good bookstore with a built-in coffee shop).

There's also Bjorn's site (but he's a nature photographer):
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
    and Thom Hogan (better humour IMO):
    http://www.bythom.com/
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-28-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post

Kenrockwell.com is a nice collection of tips for just starting but half the things on there are quite misleading, he doesn't really know that much and he is a bit full of himself so take it with a grain of salt.

all DSLRs take good photos. its the photographer and lens that makes them great. Nikon and Canon are the best brands hands down but Canon has better colors and lenses(don't argue with me on this, i assist 2 photographers one shoots canon and the other nikon). unless your pro the brand you shoot wont matter, just see what works best for you.

look at the highest ranked or most favorited photos on deviantart.com for inspiration and really study them and try to figure out how you can take a similar picture.

Shoot MANUAL. find good light, good compositions, and good moments.
    Thanks man. I went today and looked at the Rebel XTI(?) and it looks pretty good. I also looked at the Cannon D30 and D40, which I'm probably leaning towards. Ill keep you guys updated.
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/index.html

Hmm, they seem to want quite a bit for Photoshop there - hard to believe you can get it free (legally)

I'm not the software piracy police, but this is just my $0.02:
    Software design takes a lot of work, and shouldn't be stolen. I doubt you'd want someone to steal something you worked hard for (e.g., your car).

A co-worker of mine has a Canon SLR (don't know the exact model) - it's really nice, and pretty easy to use.
    Last edited by EJ257; 11-28-2007 at 11:09 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

http://www.dpreview.com/ <--reviews galore

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/index.html

Hmm, they seem to want quite a bit for Photoshop there - hard to believe you can get it free (legally)

I'm not the software piracy police, but this is just my $0.02:
    Software design takes a lot of work, and shouldn't be stolen. I doubt you'd want someone to steal something you worked hard for (e.g., your car).

A co-worker of mine has a Canon SLR (don't know the exact model) - it's really nice, and pretty easy to use.
    if you make money off it buy it. I make money off it so I bought the whole cs2 suite for pc and cs3 suite design premium for mac for 199 and 299. If you look around you can find some good deals. Have a nephew or someone you know in college buy the student version for you. Steal er barrow it or use a demo untill you can buy it. if your morals wont let you do that then use gimp
    Last edited by c00lbeans; 11-29-2007 at 11:32 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia #185
    Blobeye Syndicate #38
    San Remo Alliance............#002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast