Nikon D300
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Nikon D300 within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The D300 has arrived for many pre-order clients, and Ken Rockwell is posting his initial impressions on his site: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300.htm ...

I Support ClubWRX

Nikon D300

The D300 has arrived for many pre-order clients, and Ken Rockwell is posting his initial impressions on his site:
    http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300.htm

It's an impressive piece of equipment. Mg chassis, colour and contrast handling improvements, and an excellent LCD too. Priced around mid-level Japanese coilovers for the time being, and it's going to be hard to get for a while. I enjoyed reading about it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Humm looks pretty cool.

I'm awaiting a more extensive review of the new Sony A700 DSLR.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

I have a Sony A100 DSLR and love it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

im really considering the canon 40D
    Dirty Crew #217 like it dirty? Dirty Thread |
    Military Milita #217 | Hawk-Eye Alliance #217 | Shaved Bumper Alliance #217

What does that mean?! If you dont know the lingo... Abbreviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    If you are going to be crazy....it's best to be crazy with no regard for safety at all

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by msgsti217 View Post
    im really considering the canon 40D
    Great camera if you have legacy lenses.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Great camera if you have legacy lenses.
    are those the ones with the little red ring? n00b right here

If you are going to be crazy....it's best to be crazy with no regard for safety at all

I Support ClubWRX
    are those the ones with the little red ring? n00b right here
    I refer to legacy lenses as any lenses you own from a previous camera that will interchange with your new one.
    Cameras such as the Nikon and Cannon are great machines, but since they rely on their Image Stabilization, and AF to be performed "in the lens" instead of "in the body", extra lenses are very costly. For example:

Buy a Cannon Rebel Xti kit for $799. If you want a 75-300mm telephoto lens with Image stabilization you'll spend another $799 new.

If you have "Legacy lenses" from previous Nikon or Cannon cameras, then either Nikon or Cannon are great choices.

I OTOH had 0 legacy lenses. For this reason after using all the DSLR cameras in my price range, I purchased the Sony Alpha A100 kit for $699. It has IS and AF built into the body, making new lenses from Sony much more affordable, (75-300mm $230). It also uses all the old Konica Minolta AF lenses. So I have been able to pickup a 50mm f1.7 lens and a 70-210mm lens off craigslist for $20 each. Not something that will happen with any other brand DSLR.

However if $$$ is not too much of a factor, try them all and get what you like best. My second choice would have been the D200 for a little more $$$.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I refer to legacy lenses as any lenses you own from a previous camera that will interchange with your new one.
    Cameras such as the Nikon and Cannon are great machines, but since they rely on their Image Stabilization, and AF to be performed "in the lens" instead of "in the body", extra lenses are very costly. For example:

Buy a Cannon Rebel Xti kit for $799. If you want a 75-300mm telephoto lens with Image stabilization you'll spend another $799 new.

If you have "Legacy lenses" from previous Nikon or Cannon cameras, then either Nikon or Cannon are great choices.

I OTOH had 0 legacy lenses. For this reason after using all the DSLR cameras in my price range, I purchased the Sony Alpha A100 kit for $699. It has IS and AF built into the body, making new lenses from Sony much more affordable, (75-300mm $230). It also uses all the old Konica Minolta AF lenses. So I have been able to pickup a 50mm f1.7 lens and a 70-210mm lens off craigslist for $20 each. Not something that will happen with any other brand DSLR.

However if $$$ is not too much of a factor, try them all and get what you like best. My second choice would have been the D200 for a little more $$$.
    ahh yes yes i understand. i have the standard 18-55mm that came with my digital rebel that i got 3 years ago, and just recently i bought a canon 75-300mm with AF for $200 at best buy. i also got a rebel k2 film camera with a tamrom 28-80mm AF lens with a UV filter for less than $200 bucks

but the 40D is around $1200 for the body alone (if i remember correctly) and the lens it comes with is a 18-75mm IS + AF that runs around $700 bucks. the kit i looked at came with those 2 items, an extra battery, carrying case, charger, etc for $1600, so i think thats a fairly reasonable deal for such nice equipment.

ps; have you seen those canon lenses with the little rings? i think there are gold, red, and double red, and the lenses are made with better glass or something. all i am sure of is that they are hundreds to thousands of dollars and a bit out of my price range

I Support ClubWRX
    ahh yes yes i understand. i have the standard 18-55mm that came with my digital rebel that i got 3 years ago, and just recently i bought a canon 75-300mm with AF for $200 at best buy. i also got a rebel k2 film camera with a tamrom 28-80mm AF lens with a UV filter for less than $200 bucks
    No IS FTL. After having IS on my SONY and every lens I choose to clip on, I cant go back.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

No IS FTL. After having IS on my SONY and every lens I choose to clip on, I cant go back.
    Not having L Glass for the lose. IS becomes less effective in the telephoto range. This is exactly when image stabilization is needed the most, because camera shake is more and more pronounced at larger focal lengths. Vibration reduction elements inside the lens itself don’t suffer from this shortcoming. Thats why nikon and canon have not waisted time putting it in their camera bodies. =)

anyways the d300 looks like a good camera. Id take a 40d over it anyday.
    Last edited by c00lbeans; 11-26-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia #185
    Blobeye Syndicate #38
    San Remo Alliance............#002

Can't wait to play around with it. That is the only way to see if it is everything it is advertised.
    I doubt I will pitch my stuff for it though.

Oh, and the lenses that you are speaking of, I believe you are talking about Jim Jannards' new deal. Red. Can be seen here- http://www.red.com/lenses
    Last edited by Wannabe; 11-27-2007 at 09:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.