Nikor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Nikor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm going to be shooting in bright daylight from a distance usually exceeding 15 m and the subject will be ...

I Support ClubWRX

Nikor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX?

I'm going to be shooting in bright daylight from a distance usually exceeding 15 m and the subject will be yellow-white, moving, and about 1 m long by 0,5 m tall. The background will include green grass and/or browned grass. No tripod, no help with lighting, just on-the-fly sports-style shots.

Can anyone comment on the above lens? Has anyone used it to shoot outdoors at full reach in high sunlight?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I haven't used this lens, but if you're out in bright sunlight, more than likely it's going to be more than adequate for your purpose The only thing I'm not sure about is how fast it'll focus, but light-wise you should be just fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WORLD ONE PERFORMANCE
    Phone: 253.336.5449
    AIM: WorldOneArmin
    World One Performance Blog | Customer/Employee Gallery
    Building Award-Winning Subarus since 2002, with the track record to prove it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. My goal is to minimize tracking the target with the camera so hopefully focus speed won't be too much of an issue. The new VR lenses are great, I played around with one over the weekend, but they're big coin and I'm not ready to part with that much money (yet?...), so I'm hoping this will simply work.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The one thing I've noticed after going from my 70-300D to my 70-200 VR was that the performance in changing light situations (as simple as clouds blocking the sun), that's where the f/2.8 really shines
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WORLD ONE PERFORMANCE

I Support ClubWRX
    I see you shoot both cars and landscapes from what postings I've noticed. Do you find yourself using the 70-200 VR all out at 200 mm frequently? I'm beginning to wonder if I'm limiting myself with a 135 mm max zoom and whether I should be looking at other, longer Nikors instead.

The 55-200 VR is actually very attractively priced IMO (though of course it is nowhere near the f/stop your lens offers) and I'm beginning to think more about it rather than the 135. The attraction (initially) to the 18-135 is "carry one lens, keep it simple" but if I start missing shots for lack of reach, it's counter-productive I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I see you shoot both cars and landscapes from what postings I've noticed. Do you find yourself using the 70-200 VR all out at 200 mm frequently? I'm beginning to wonder if I'm limiting myself with a 135 mm max zoom and whether I should be looking at other, longer Nikors instead.

The 55-200 VR is actually very attractively priced IMO (though of course it is nowhere near the f/stop your lens offers) and I'm beginning to think more about it rather than the 135. The attraction (initially) to the 18-135 is "carry one lens, keep it simple" but if I start missing shots for lack of reach, it's counter-productive I guess.
    Yes I actually do go all the way out to 200 very often, especially on the track. Most of my Formula D pics are 100% crops in fact. I actually would like to get a teleconverter for my lens so that I have even more range, at the expense of a higher f/stop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WORLD ONE PERFORMANCE

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.