HDR Imaging
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on HDR Imaging within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Let me preface this by saying that I've done a bunch of searching through these threads and really haven't gotten ...

I Support ClubWRX

HDR Imaging

Let me preface this by saying that I've done a bunch of searching through these threads and really haven't gotten a good understanding of the software and file types I should be working with to make these HDR images. I might have just missed it somewhere, so if someone has an all-inclusive link, thanks ahead of time.

I've seen that this type of processing is available in Photoshop, but can't seem to find the steps to make it happen. I have PS 5.0. A little older, but not as heavy on the PC as some of the newer ones. Am I able to do the necessary steps to make these images in 5.0? Am I just manually layering the pictures in the order from under-exposed to over-exposed or is there another program that will do this for me?

Also, I will probably be shooting RAW which would be a .NEF file from a Nikon D80. Is there a recommended file type to convert it to? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go with TIFF.

As I said any help would be great, and I apologize if I missed it somewhere.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've used Photomatix to process my HDR shots. After it's done, I'd bring it into PS for tweaking. I've just used fine JPEGS. It's good enough for me; I make no pretense about being a professional...

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    [QUOTE=XRWsdleifyaR;2075873]

I want this on hardcard stock, 48" wide, please, thank you..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the basic freeware version of Photomatix sufficient or should I get one of the upgrades?

Thanks again by the way, I'll post the results when I get a location pinned down and get some pix done. Any recommendations on how many steps up and down to go? Will 1 full stop in either direction be the norm? I'm sure I'll try a little of everything.

I Support ClubWRX
    I found the full Photomatix version to be a lot more useful. It's not that, err, expensive.

I wind up shooting a set with +1 and -1, then another at +2 and -2. Then when I play around with it in Photomatix, I can see which yields a better effect.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Roganslap View Post
    I want this on hardcard stock, 48" wide, please, thank you..
    I've got an 8x10 of it hanging at home. It has a real "painted" quality to it, and I don't think most people who see it realize that it's a photograph.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    nice pics ray
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    emails me the RAW formats
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Roganslap View Post
    emails me the RAW formats
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

That second pic is awesome Ray
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks. It was a cool old Buick Special that used to be parked along my meandering path home. I think he finally sold it.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Well guys, I took a ton of raw pix, mostly for work. When I sat down to get working on this I come to find that after using Photomatix, Adobe 5.0 wouldn't recognize the HDR file. CS2 and higher does, in fact the whole merge job could be done in CS2. Have CS at work, but that doesn't help either. Now all I've got is some potential HDR files that need some work and can't be posted or sent to anyone. Got any suggestions on tweaking? Any way to fake it through layering in Photoshop? Got a couple 20 Cylinder engines that need to look perty...

Attachment 74463

--Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    Well guys, I took a ton of raw pix, mostly for work. When I sat down to get working on this I come to find that after using Photomatix, Adobe 5.0 wouldn't recognize the HDR file. CS2 and higher does, in fact the whole merge job could be done in CS2. Have CS at work, but that doesn't help either. Now all I've got is some potential HDR files that need some work and can't be posted or sent to anyone. Got any suggestions on tweaking? Any way to fake it through layering in Photoshop? Got a couple 20 Cylinder engines that need to look perty...

Attachment 74463
    Basicly click the HDR tab and click generate. then it will ask you to browse and select all the photos you want to use. select them and click ok,

Select align source images, make sure attempt to reduce ghosting artifacts is off unless you really need it. and use take tone curve of color profile, click ok

it will make the HDR, it will look like **** becuase your monitor cant display the whole range of tones so then you need to tone map it and make it look pretty.

Click the HDR tab agian and click tonemapping. play with the sliders till you get a good looking image with decent contrast and saturation, sometimes the images can look super flat and fake if there isn't enough contrast.

save as jpg, dont try to use photoshop to open or make any HDR, PS sucks at it. you can take 2 or 3 pictures with different exposures and use some layers masks on them to build your own if you want, i do this a lot mostly with skys,
    Last edited by c00lbeans; 10-06-2007 at 12:44 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    alright, thanks alot again guys. I think I've got a handle on it. Now it's just a matter of actually figuring out what does what during the tonemapping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.