Thoughts/experiences with Canon EOS 10D?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

This is a discussion on Thoughts/experiences with Canon EOS 10D? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an old EOS 10s - circa about 1989 - that I love, but I'm tired of using film. ...

  1. #1
    Registered User dsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    3,769

    Thoughts/experiences with Canon EOS 10D?

    I have an old EOS 10s - circa about 1989 - that I love, but I'm tired of using film. To that end, I have a digital point and shoot, a Casio 5 MP jobby that is fine for every day stuff but really lacks at taking great pictures. I'm a pretty good photographer with the right equipment.

    So I've been looking to spend about $600-900 on a digital body. I have a 28-70 and 70-300 lens and a really good speedlight for my old 10s that I assume would work in a canon digital SLR, but I'm not 100% sure.

    Question is - what's the best mid-level (non-$2000 pro) digital SLR out there? I was looking at the 10D, but I want some feedback from owners.

    I assume I need to stick to the canon family for my lenses and flash, unless someone out there can convince me that they really suck.

    Thanks for any advice you people have.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    "sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    4,125
    10D is a very respectable camera and could be had for a good cheap price nowadays.

  4. #3
    Registered User mykedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    1,331
    The 10d is good as well as the 20d.

    I would make sure your older lenses fit on a digital body. The only reason I am mentioning this is because I was going to buy a Nikon d-slr because I have alot of Older Nikon F series lenses fromt he early 80's. It was a good thing I brought a few lenses to B&H to try them out because none of them fit!

    I have to start my lens collection all over again.

    ~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

  5. #4
    Registered User dsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by mykedude
    I have to start my lens collection all over again.

    ~myke
    That sucks, and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I think I'm gonna bring my lenses to the ritz camera down the road a piece.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

  6. #5
    Registered User c00lbeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,222
    the 10D is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW and OLD get a 350D

  7. #6
    Registered User dsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    the 10D is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW and OLD get a 350D
    Which one is that? Rebel?
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

  8. #7
    Registered User geefunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    626
    I'll tell you what I think....I really wish I could afford one, cuz I would buy one

  9. #8
    Registered User dsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by geefunk
    I'll tell you what I think....I really wish I could afford one, cuz I would buy one
    I can pretty much thank the DC gvt and the IRS for my refund checks - as well as the hybrid tax credit - for the camera.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

  10. #9
    Registered User mykedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    Which one is that? Rebel?
    the 350d is also known as the rebel XT.

    ~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

  11. #10
    Registered User dsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by mykedude
    the 350d is also known as the rebel XT.

    ~myke
    I can't stand plastic lens mounts. That was my problem with rebels 10 years ago. a lot of camera for the money, but do they need to make it out of the same thing as my soda bottle?
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

  12. #11
    Registered User dsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by mykedude
    the 350d is also known as the rebel XT.

    ~myke
    Just checked out the camera Rebel XT... a few comments. It's really light, and that is more of a worry considering it just doesn't have the same solid feel that the similarly priced nikons do. It also has a very small mirror. Don't know how that affects picture clarity, but someone who knows something about that feel free to chime in. Shutter speed isn't of supreme importance, though it looks like this one can shoot really fast for an entry level 1/8000 and something like 3 or 4 FPS.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

  13. #12
    Registered User mykedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    Just checked out the camera Rebel XT... a few comments. It's really light, and that is more of a worry considering it just doesn't have the same solid feel that the similarly priced nikons do. It also has a very small mirror. Don't know how that affects picture clarity, but someone who knows something about that feel free to chime in. Shutter speed isn't of supreme importance, though it looks like this one can shoot really fast for an entry level 1/8000 and something like 3 or 4 FPS.
    Yep, that was my exact reasoning to either save up for a 20d or go nikon and get a d70.

    The 20d feels more solid than the nikon tho. Since I have to start a new lens collection anyway, I am free to choose whichever brand I wish

    ~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

  14. #13
    Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    Verdugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sea-Town, WA
    Posts
    13,307
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mykedude
    Yep, that was my exact reasoning to either save up for a 20d or go nikon and get a d70.

    The 20d feels more solid than the nikon tho. Since I have to start a new lens collection anyway, I am free to choose whichever brand I wish

    ~myke
    As far as feel goes, my friend just got a 20D and I still think my D70 feels more solid. I still find the 20D as being a little small for my hands, but it also feels a lot more plasticy and not as comfortable without the nice rubber grips that the D70 has. Just my personal take on it though
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

  15. #14
    Registered User dsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    As far as feel goes, my friend just got a 20D and I still think my D70 feels more solid. I still find the 20D as being a little small for my hands, but it also feels a lot more plasticy and not as comfortable without the nice rubber grips that the D70 has. Just my personal take on it though
    The Rebel was way too small and cheap feeling for me. As far as the 20D, how do you like the performance?
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •