Canon SD450 v. SD400

This is a discussion on Canon SD450 v. SD400 within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It's time for me to buy a digital camera. I'm not looking at anything excessive, but I would really like ...

Canon SD450 v. SD400

It's time for me to buy a digital camera. I'm not looking at anything excessive, but I would really like a good point and shoot with some manual features that I can play around with.

I really like the Canon SD450 and it seems like there are mostly positive reviews. However, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or not to buy the SD450 v. the SD400. When I do a comparison on Canon's website it seems like the features are nearly identical.

So here's my question: Is the SD450 worth the extra 50 bucks. And if so, why?

Thanks!

(Sorry for being a complete camera noob.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They are EXACTLY the same except for the LCD screen. The SD450 has a 2.5" LCD, and the SD400 has a 2.0" LCD. Since the SD camera's are HIGHLY known for their LCD's breaking, I would say just save the $50 and get the smaller LCD. It is cheaper and less chance of it breaking. Use that $50 towards a memory card.

Or, look at the SD500. The SD450 is $300 I believe, but if you drop another $50 for the SD500 ($350) you get 7.1 megapixels as opposed to 5.0 in the SD400/SD450 and you get a better lense with more sensitive zoom.

I am currently in high debate on whether to get the SD400 or the SD500.
    I hear the difference between 5 megapixel and 7.1 megapixel is not as much as you would think though. I guess 5 megapixels and up on point and shoots are basically all the same
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I have handled both the sd 450 and 500 and I prefer the sd500 over the 450. Canon changed the shape and thickness of the 500 because many people were getting alot of camera shake from the weight and size of the sd300/400 series when taking handheld photos.

I know many people with the sd300/400 series taht always have blur in thier photos. This is especially evident indoors wehn the lens is wide open.

my .02

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Quote Originally Posted by mykedude
    I have handled both the sd 450 and 500 and I prefer the sd500 over the 450. Canon changed the shape and thickness of the 500 because many people were getting alot of camera shake from the weight and size of the sd300/400 series when taking handheld photos.

I know many people with the sd300/400 series taht always have blur in thier photos. This is especially evident indoors wehn the lens is wide open.

my .02

~myke
    Yeah, that is what I am worried about. I hear with the SD400/450 you get more blur, purple fringe, and soft corners. It is just hard to justify an extra $100 for the SD500. Although one of my good friends has one and he seems to like it.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the SD500, but I'm also having trouble bringing myself to spend another $100.

I have no idea what I'm going to do...