Canon SD450 vs. Canon A610?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Canon SD450 vs. Canon A610? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay, I am going to get rid of the Kodak P855 because it is too bulky, capture/flash time is too ...

Canon SD450 vs. Canon A610?

Okay, I am going to get rid of the Kodak P855 because it is too bulky, capture/flash time is too long, focus takes to long, and its a pain to carry around.... Plus something cheaper would be pretty good.

I have narrowed it down between the SD450 and the A610.

Just for some background of what I have been reading:

SD450:

This seems like a nice camera. Basic features are 5.0 Megapixel, 3X optical zoom, 12X overall zoom, 16MB SD card with movie and sound mode and 2.5" LCD screen. I read reviews and people seem to like it overall. It is compact and takes decent pics it seems but lacks the extra zoom of the A610 and the A610 looks better IMO but I really like the idea of the 2.5" LCD screen
    more detailed info: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=

A610:

I read reviews and there literally seems to be no one dissapointed with this camera. 5.0 magapixel, 4X optical zoom, 12X overall, 16MB SD card, 2.0" LCD swingout screen and movie sound mode. I like this camera because it has 4X optical zoom as opposed to the 3X in the SD450 and zoom is something I want since I am giving up my Kodak which has 12X optical zoom. I like the look of this camera better, and it is $40 cheaper overall. It seems to be the better camera everything considered, but I am not sure if the SD450 is an overall better camera for durability and picture quality though. I wish this camera had the 2.5" LCD screen, but at least the LCD screen swings out. The one bad thing I read about with this camera was that it feels kinda cheap when holding it and not as solid as the SD450.
    more info: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=

I am more leaning towards the A610, but I just wanted to make sure that the SD450 was not a much better camera quality wise first.

Thanks.
    Last edited by DTR rex; 02-10-2006 at 11:33 AM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I always thought the A line was Canon's lowest digital line and the G and Pro line was the highest. The sd and s line are int he middle.

The sd450 looks like a solid camera especially if you don't like bulk.

my .02

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

thanks for the input.

Anyone else?

Armin, Chan, etc...?
    Just call me Clark Kent

I bought my mother the SD400 (and most of my freinds have it too) and its a decent camera. For the most part, you will not be disappointed with it. My only gripes about the camera are grainy pictures in low-light or indoor situations. Also, red-eye is a big issue in most pictures and I think someone mentioned once the only way to solve it is if everyone stares directly into the flash. But overall, its a great camera, very slim so it wont bulge out enormously out of your pocket and has some few more advance features that you can mess around with to get a better picture.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that a good way to reduce the noise in some of the pictures is to not use zoom. Just somethign to remember since you are pretty concerned about zoom. There are ways to fix it with photoshop and some other programs, but if you pay attention to detail you can tell the difference in picture.

Still kinda torn on which to get and I want to order ASAP

The A610 has the extra zoom and flip out LCD and costs about $50 less.

However, the SD450 has a larger LCD screen and is a bit smaller.

Are there going to be any differences in the picture quality between the two (both 5.0 megapixel), or will it be pretty much the same?
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Still kinda torn on which to get and I want to order ASAP

The A610 has the extra zoom and flip out LCD and costs about $50 less.

However, the SD450 has a larger LCD screen and is a bit smaller.

Are there going to be any differences in the picture quality between the two (both 5.0 megapixel), or will it be pretty much the same?
    I've read that in print anything above 3.6 MP makes no difference. 5.0 is decent and should yield great results. Look for shutter lag, power up time, macro, and night shot capabilities. Those are the ones I've seen improve once I moved from point'n'shoot to Canon Rebel XT.

BTW, I was gonna say ditch all those amateur toys and go for XT but you don't like bulky...so I won't say it (but I still kinda did)
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

I spoke to a friend who knows a decent amount about these camera's and I went and handled each one. I think I am going to get the SD450 since the A610 is pretty bulky and wouldn't fit in your pocket.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Just call me Clark Kent

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.