Help me look for a new Camera. Please?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help me look for a new Camera. Please? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Best Digital Camera for the $$? I'm looking to spend around 0-0 on a new digital camera and I was ...

Cool Help me look for a new Camera. Please?

Best Digital Camera for the $$? I'm looking to spend around $500-$600 on a new digital camera and I was curious if anyone can point me in the right direction. I'm not a pro or anything but I want to start something new and want to try photography. What are the key features I should look for in a camera in that price range?

Thanks in advance

Jake
    Last edited by SHO_Guy; 02-09-2006 at 10:08 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Canon G5 or G6 are both awesome cameras plus you can add a pro flash onto the hot shoe if need be

http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buye...PowerShot_G5_5
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-09-2006 at 09:39 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thoughts? Good deal? Re-furbished = bad?

if you want to do photography e.g. not just snapshots of people, you need a digital slr like camera. It has most of the functions of a real SLR but you cant change lenses and the viewfinder is an lcd screen.

you want this camera
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_pro1.asp
    or this one
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/
    Last edited by c00lbeans; 02-09-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHO_Guy
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thoughts? Good deal? Re-furbished = bad?
    you get what you payfor. i wouldnt pay for that

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    SHO guy,
    if you can tell us what your interested in shooting etc or more info might be easier to narrow down a camera for u
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

SHO guy,
    if you can tell us what your interested in shooting etc or more info might be easier to narrow down a camera for u
    Primary interests are cars and scenery (plants, landscapes, etc.) Also the occasional people picture (Family, friends, etc.)

if you want to do photography e.g. not just snapshots of people, you need a digital slr like camera. It has most of the functions of a real SLR but you cant change lenses and the viewfinder is an lcd screen.
    Thanks for the info and references, I'll look into them both. Is there something that I can buy as a base camera that I can add onto/upgrade should I decide to become more than just a hobbiest? Or should I just start with one of those and purchase something better (i.e. an SLR cam) if that is the case ?
    Last edited by SHO_Guy; 02-09-2006 at 11:13 AM.

If you are looking into SLR hybrid then i'd recommend the fuji s9000 like coolbeans wrote or the panasonic fz30. I have played around with both and I thought the panasonic felt much more natural. I didn't like the placement of the focus ring of the fuji as it is way too close to the body of the camera.

My coworker bought his wife the panasinic fz30 to replace her long used sony cybershot and she is loving it.

It all depends on what you want to do with the camera. For party pictures, i'd go point and shoot. For large printed out landscapes, artistic etc. I'd go with a hybrid slr or a D-slr because then it is worth carrying around the extra bulk.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Thank you for the above ^ advice. Size and weight don't bother me because I won't be carrying a nice camera to a party just to take a few pic's. Most of the pics I will be taking are going to be outdoors and will be ddeliberate photo's.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Canon G5 or G6 still kewl small camera i have the G5 awesome lil camera etc

but if your thinkin more long term Digital SLR ...then Canon 20D, Nikon D70S,Minolta 7D,Olympus E500
    they are all between 1400 and 800 bux all similar MP sizes 6.1 to 8.5
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...-950-1071.html
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 02-09-2006 at 11:50 AM.
    "All We'll Drive"

Weasel, I do like the G5/6 alot as well. I use it at work alot as it is hooked up to our ipix system. The g5 w/ a 180 degree fisheye is pretty cool!

I feel that in the end, it is still a point and shoot with alot of manual options on it and find myself grabbing the d-slr wehn i go out to do field work.

~myke

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    SHO a comparison of 4 small digital cameras:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...-1055-876.html
    "All We'll Drive"

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mykedude
    Weasel, I do like the G5/6 alot as well. I use it at work alot as it is hooked up to our ipix system. The g5 w/ a 180 degree fisheye is pretty cool!

I feel that in the end, it is still a point and shoot with alot of manual options on it and find myself grabbing the d-slr wehn i go out to do field work.

~myke
    I have Canon 1D and 20D and the G5 as my run about camera i think awesome value for the $ ....sometimes for me i prefer the smaller G5 over the size/bulk of the other 2...
    "All We'll Drive"

Very true weasel, I have my older canon s50 for parties and such. It is still a really good camera.

~myke

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555
    SHO a comparison of 4 small digital cameras:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...-1055-876.html
    Thank ya. I've been looking at all the options you all have givin' me so far. Haven't made a decision yet and I'm still researching a bit. But when I pic her out I'll post up pics asap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.