Need some camera help (again)

This is a discussion on Need some camera help (again) within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, so I recently bought a Camera, the Kodak P850 which is a 5.1 megapixel camera with 12X optical zoom ...

Need some camera help (again)

Ok, so I recently bought a Camera, the Kodak P850 which is a 5.1 megapixel camera with 12X optical zoom and image stabilizer. seen here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kodak_p850.asp

I am a total camera n00b and have been playing around with it a bit. It does not have detachable lenses so that kinda sucks, but I couldn't afford one that did. This Camera ran me $430 with tax. It takes pretty good pictures, but honestly, not as good as I expected. When just taking standard pictures and not playing with the zoom it looks like any other digital camera. When I zoom in it has zooms in a pretty decent amount and takes cool pics, but the problem is that it is only in focus like 40% of the time and I am not really sure how to use it and make it look really good.

So that brings me to the next thing. The camera is kinda big, and a can be a paint to lug around. So I am thinking of returning it for something cheaper and smaller. I was thinking something like the Canon A610 seen here http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...A610A.HTM#test

I spoke with a friend who knows about camera's and he said the canon powershot is actually an all around better camera. Not to mention it costs only $240 as compared to my Kodak which ran me over $400.
    The only thing is that the Canon powershot A610 does not have as good of zoom (only 4X as opposed to my 12X Kodak). Also the Canon is a much smaller design and would be easier for me to carry around when I go out and travel and such.

So basically, am I better off just getting the A610 powershot Canon and saving nearly $200 over my Kodak? Two people I asked that know about camera's said def. yes. Just asking your guys' opinion though.

Thanks
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

definitely. If you are just need a camera for quick snapshots all you need is a portable point and shoot. The kodak looks anything but portable. The canon is a decent camera. Ive been partial to sony for the past couple years for point and shoots and right now i have (had, I dropped it on saturday and the lens is stuck! I took it apart and was able to get it unstuck, but one of the ribbonns was broken, so time for a new camera ) but imo it takes better pictures than my mom's SD400. But the sd400 is much smaller and Ill be looking into a slim camera.

The way I see it though, you wont go wrong with most of these smalls cameras sicne they will take somewhat similar pictures.

canon>kodak

your pics look better zoomed in becuase a long focal length has a narrow depth of field
    Last edited by c00lbeans; 02-07-2006 at 02:19 AM.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup get the Canon ...even try searching for a used Canon G2,G3-G5 series would be good choice..
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

So I am better off saving the nearly $200 and getting the point and shoot canon powershot A610? It seems to be just as good a camera as the Kodak picture wise, the only difference being the 12X zoom and image stabilizer.. but I would hardly use the stabilizer on my kodak and the 12X zoom only gets a clear image like 30% of the time.

I think I will just with the Canon.
    What do you camera Guru's like Armin, Chan, and Quack think?
    Just call me Clark Kent

come on you ass jammers. I need more opinions on the matter before making the purchase/trade!
    Just call me Clark Kent

You shouldnt worry about zoom with digital cameras. Most of the time pictures dont come out that great when you zoom in.

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    teh Canon
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

I believe that the canon A series still uses a plastic lens as verse to the glass lenses of the S, SD, G or pro1 series.

I have been using my 5mp S50 for years now and it has been great for me. I have blown my images up to 11x17 prints with not too much pixelation. The images from the canon powershot series are very good and if I were to pick up another point and shoot, I'd go canon.

I have been told taht the sd 300/400 induce alot of camera shake in pictures due to the slimness and weight of those cameras. Everyone I have spoken to with the sd500/550 have been more than happy.

If you need a camera that zooms in to 12x, I have heard some good things about the panasonic/leica fz20/30. the only drawback to those 2 hybrid slr/point and shoot is that they are bulky.

~myke
    Last edited by mykedude; 02-08-2006 at 05:41 AM.
    ::2004 JBP WRX::