Anybody have experience w/ a macro lens and close-up filters?

This is a discussion on Anybody have experience w/ a macro lens and close-up filters? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've always been interested in macro photography, but I had some questions regarding close-up filters. The lens I'm looking at ...

Anybody have experience w/ a macro lens and close-up filters?

I've always been interested in macro photography, but I had some questions regarding close-up filters. The lens I'm looking at is the Nikon 60mm f/2.8D Micro. Are close-up filters even worth using? I know that the lens itself will give me a 1:1 reproduction, but I want to take pictures at greater detail. Are there any brands to avoid or are they generally the same? Thanks in advance. FWIW, this is for use on a D70.
    Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    Gas, grass, or ass. Nobody rides for free.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid-X
    I've always been interested in macro photography, but I had some questions regarding close-up filters. The lens I'm looking at is the Nikon 60mm f/2.8D Micro. Are close-up filters even worth using? I know that the lens itself will give me a 1:1 reproduction, but I want to take pictures at greater detail. Are there any brands to avoid or are they generally the same? Thanks in advance. FWIW, this is for use on a D70.
    You shouldn't need the filters. If you want greater than the 1:1 magnification with your lens, look at getting some extension tubes. I know Kenko makes extension tube sets that are pretty popular.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    You shouldn't need the filters. If you want greater than the 1:1 magnification with your lens, look at getting some extension tubes. I know Kenko makes extension tube sets that are pretty popular.
    I'm assuming that if I get those, I'll need to go completely manual at that point. Thanks for the response though. I'll research those a bit.

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid-X
    I'm assuming that if I get those, I'll need to go completely manual at that point. Thanks for the response though. I'll research those a bit.
    when you lose that much DOF, you'd want to go manual anyway. Most do.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    when you lose that much DOF, you'd want to go manual anyway. Most do.
    True. My AF seems a little quirky at times and I find myself going manual more often.