Photo Shoot?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Photo Shoot? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First, this discussion is not pointed at anyone in particular, nor is it meant as criticism. It is a sincere ...

Photo Shoot?

First, this discussion is not pointed at anyone in particular, nor is it meant as criticism. It is a sincere question to which I am seeking an answer.

When did the act of taking some photos of your, pick one: car, bike, cat, dog, friend, etc become a "Photo Shoot"? I've been into photography since I was 13, some 33 years. I belong to boards supported by working professional photographers, weekend warriors and newby amatuers. No one talks about doing a "Photo Shoot". It's either a job, or just shooting some pics.

I have noticed the term "Photo Shoot" used on numerous occassions in this forum when someone is posting images of their cars, etc. I just find the use of this term curious. How many of you are actually working studio or location photographers? I know a a few, but not many, on this site.

Again, not looking to rile any feathers, just curious about the language.

Peace,

Curtis

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I guess in their minds, if you take more than 2 pix in different angles, it's a photo shoot. Joking aside, I have no idea. I have seen it used alot, but not really paid it any mind.
    Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    Gas, grass, or ass. Nobody rides for free.

i went on a photoshoot the other day... acutaly i just went snowboarding.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I see the same thing, Curtis. I only call something a "photo shoot" when it involves money of some kind. That's either getting paid for shooting a feature article, renting a hotel room for a model, or renting any lighting or photography equipment. Time and time again I've seen "photoshoot of my car" and it's just a bunch of quick snap shots. It doesn't annoy me or anything, it's just kinda weird I guess, since I was expecting something more professional in nature.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    i've been a Pro Photog since the early 80's and only ever used the term "Photo Shoot" when doing model portfolios...every thing else was just shooting pass out parade, wedding, dining rooms, gangways, going to a rally etc etc
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Thanks for the replys, guys. I appreciate the level of professionalism in your responses. This could have taken a completely different direction had someone taken offense to my question, if you know what I mean. Thanks for keeping it above the line.

c00lbeans: Great shot! Do you have more posted somewhere? I'd really like to see them.
    I would really love to shoot some snow sports; all except for the snow, cold temps and high elevation where I can't breath. On second thought, I'll just live vicariously through your photos.

Peace,

Curtis

The entire "Photo shoot" language has been beat up quite a bit. I have been in the photo world for quite some time and I consider a 'photo shoot' one where someone either scheduled me for a block of time to do nothing but that, or when I was hired and money changed hands. I guess with the first, I give some width as whe it could mean. But when someone washes their car and takes a camera phone out to the driveway and calls it a 'photo shoot', it makes me cringe a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbeauxREX
    Thanks for the replys, guys. I appreciate the level of professionalism in your responses. This could have taken a completely different direction had someone taken offense to my question, if you know what I mean. Thanks for keeping it above the line.

c00lbeans: Great shot! Do you have more posted somewhere? I'd really like to see them.
    I would really love to shoot some snow sports; all except for the snow, cold temps and high elevation where I can't breath. On second thought, I'll just live vicariously through your photos.

Peace,

Curtis
    thanks, i have more on my computer at home but im up in OR for xmas so i cant post them. i will prob go on more photoshoots i mean snowboarding and post a bunch around january 7th after i get home from OR and June Mtn

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe
    The entire "Photo shoot" language has been beat up quite a bit.... But when someone washes their car and takes a camera phone out to the driveway and calls it a 'photo shoot', it makes me cringe a bit.
    Ditto

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    thanks, i have more on my computer at home but im up in OR for xmas so i cant post them. i will prob go on more photoshoots i mean snowboarding and post a bunch around january 7th after i get home from OR and June Mtn

Enjoy your Christmas. I look forward to the new pics.

Peace,

Curtis

I feel like there's a difference between snapshots of your hairy-moled aunt gertrude or people drinking beer at a frat party and busting out a camera, making light and angle adjustments, taking the electronic equivalent of three rolls of film and picking the best 6, regardless of whether you're getting paid or not.

People pick scenery, equipment, etc etc and that, to me, is a photo shoot, even if it is the same tired car pics we see sometimes in posts. It's a subjective term, and people use it liberally when they feel they have put in an effort beyond a series of snapshots.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not a pro, but a serious amateur photographer. I've been taking photos for 44 years now. I have some fairly serious photography equipment (www.morrisgarage.com/clique), but it is still just a hobby.

I've seen "photo shoot" used a lot here, but also in magazines, tv shows ("Had to get eveything cleaned up for the big photo shoot tomorrow!"), etc. I guess it just sort of became another phrase that caught on for a planned photography session. In many cases here on the club it is used to describe just a few snaps, whether good quality or not. In others, it is obviously a serious attempt to get the right setting, lighting, angle, etc. to present the featured object (in our case our cars) in their best light. Not for pay, but for either pride in the vehicle, pride in the photography, or just for fun for others to see.

I've used the phrase twice that I know of, and in both cases it was a planned event, with scouted locations, early hour for good lighting, contrasting or complimentary background, and a lot of time involved. Neither were for pay (although a couple of the scooter shots have made it onto commerrcial web sites lately.) The WRX gallery was because I hadn't had a good set of photos of it in a while showing current mods. So I planned the event, placed some of the photos on my WRX web page, and posted some here in a "photo shoot" thread. The scooter was to show off my new toy, and I wanted to do it in a presentable way. (As a professional photographer, you can imagine how difficult it would be to do otherwise: grab a camera and take a grab shot of your new toy with a messy background, dirty, poorly lit, etc. and then present it for others to view.)

Lest the above seems defensive, it is not meant to be. I'm just trying to explain my use of the phrase that seems to have become part of the vernacular. I don't consider either of my "photo shoot" threads to be anything other than an expression of my combined passion for photography and motorsports.

Photoshoot of my new toy

Photoshoot: Smorris's Black WRX wagon at Elyria, Ohio Train Station

Other galleries at http://smorris.smugmug.com

Thanks for looking,
    Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.