shrinking pictures

This is a discussion on shrinking pictures within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am a memory hog. My camera takes huge shots, and keep them in huge format on my computer and ...

shrinking pictures

I am a memory hog. My camera takes huge shots, and keep them in huge format on my computer and I have never needed to really shrink them. Now, I want to get a good photo small enough to make an avitar, yet decent quality. How do I go about doing this? Everybody else can, but not me. Do I need to save it in a different format, compress it somehow?
    I tried a search, but everthing with resizing had to do with other techniques.
    1000 posts, WOW. It only took me two and a half years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

With any image editing software, resize to 100x100 or whatever the forum limitation is and then save it as either a medium or lesser quality jpeg or gif and you should be fine.I'm assuming you know how to upload images?
    Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    Gas, grass, or ass. Nobody rides for free.

I do that, and it still comes in at 36kb, and over the maximum allowed. My last picture, I took to 20x20 and saved it as small as photoshop CS2 would allow and it still went 24.7kb.
    Have not tried the gif deal. I will try that.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe
    I do that, and it still comes in at 36kb, and over the maximum allowed. My last picture, I took to 20x20 and saved it as small as photoshop CS2 would allow and it still went 24.7kb.
    Have not tried the gif deal. I will try that.
    Thanks

use the "save fo web" option. if you do the regular save, i think the EXIF data is still in the file

I will try that. I did the .gif option and that did the trick. But I would like to get it done in jpg format. I will give that a try.