Messing around with stars
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Messing around with stars within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; One of the main reasons I wanted to pick up a digital SLR was to get back into astrophotography. I ...

Messing around with stars

One of the main reasons I wanted to pick up a digital SLR was to get back into astrophotography. I haven't played with it since about '92 when the field was vastly different. I recall the original CCDs coming in military style attache cases, with very low resolution and a $3500 price tag.

First shot with a random guess at exposure and some quick process turns up decent results. Now I need a clock drive for the giant reflector I have and some adapters.

Anyone try their hand at this?

Notes: This is under a moonless sky in the horrible light pollution surrounding JFK. The lens flare you see is from a streetlight glancing over the UV filter. Three images at ISO1600, bracketed exposure, hot spots removed and stacked. The stars are shifting because I dont' have a clock drive on the tripod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orion1600small.jpg  
    Last edited by cyrilgrey; 12-06-2005 at 09:31 PM.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow, I wish we could see that many stars more often around here
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    Wow, I wish we could see that many stars more often around here
    Oh, you can. That's more than you can see with the naked eye due to the long exposure of the CCD. While growing up did you ever wonder why counting the stars in the sky was reputed to be so difficult?

The beauty of a CCD is that you can let it sit and collect, something the eye can't do. So even we poor city dwellers can get some nice deep sky objects.

You'd be surprised what you can do with a cheap webcam for instance.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    "

This is a decent gallery

http://velatron.com/dca/personal/
    "

Space is such a marvel, it makes you wonder what else is out there.
    I have to get hands on a nice camera, or at least a telescope.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I've always had this feeling when staring into it through a scope, it's hard to relay. The vast distance and size of everything. If you want a good starter scope I highly recommend picking up an astroscan on ebay. It's light, sets up in moments, and works pretty well. You'll use it all the time because it's so easy.

Then you have the new computerized telescopes, they point to what you select and then track perfectly. You can sit in your house and run them from a laptop and take all the images you want, or program the computer to do it while you sleep. Not very expensive either.
    "

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, a clock drive...where can you get one of those? I've always been into Astronomy and would like to do more Astrophotography Here's a couple that I messed around with last year...

Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Most of the telescopes sold now do it automatically. Something like this works if you have an EQ tripod.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orion-Telescope-...QQcmdZViewItem

Or you can do what this crazy bastard did:

http://www.astronomy.net/articles/9/

Once long exposures are possible the photographs become wildly different. Looks like you have a good sky for it.
    "

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow that guy is crazy, all right!
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

wow....lots of stars
    "speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets you killed!" >Jeremy Clarkson

20 seconds is the max to keep stars from moving. for 80 bucks you can get a 50mm 1.8f (great lens for indoors with out flash) that will give you good exposures for stars. ccds and cmos sensors are only good for about 10 min then they start getting noisey and your batteries die. if you want super long exposures use film. ill set up a time lapse of stars tonight

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    20 seconds is the max to keep stars from moving. for 80 bucks you can get a 50mm 1.8f (great lens for indoors with out flash) that will give you good exposures for stars. ccds and cmos sensors are only good for about 10 min then they start getting noisey and your batteries die. if you want super long exposures use film. ill set up a time lapse of stars tonight

Have you played around with hot pixel removal? How long would that extend useable exposure? I'm thinking there should also be much less noise if you let the camera get used to winter temps, as compared to summer.

Do you shoot anything through a scope?
    "

long exposure noise reduction wont do to much after 15 min. your WAY better off using film.

Not bad!

Astrophotography was always my next-to-do hobby. I tried it few times but never got into it seriously. My best pic came out in kinda funny circumstances. I was buzzed, everyone was asleep, camp fire was still up, so I was like wth let's play with the cam. This is what came out: http://gallery.gnstech.net/index.php...ropics_005.jpg
    It's been PS'ed a bit.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

oo i forgot i had these pics. camping near Barstow while shooting a doc movie about this dude that roller skated from LA to Las Vegas and back in 73 hours.

45min exposure.

3 sisters from black butte OR. took it from deck of restaurant after dinner with out a tripod

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.