D70 vs. D1x

This is a discussion on D70 vs. D1x within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; what are you guys thoughts?...

D70 vs. D1x

what are you guys thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

canon>nikon

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    canon>nikon
    That's like someone asking "WRX or STi?" and you respond with "Mitsubishi > Subaru"...let's keep the fanboy loyalty out of this forum please...there's enough of it from both sides on various photography forums. Anyway...

The D1X was a badass camera back in 2001-2002...now, it's pretty dated. The D70 even has a small edge in overall resolution. The D1X has the nice built-in vertical grip and it's a true professional camera, but even its fps is the same as the D70. It's a tough choice...if you really need all the professional capabilities that the D1X has and you can get it for the same price as a used D70, I might just say go for it...but otherwise, I think the D70 will be more than enough for most every situation.

Here's a link to the DP Review of the D1X: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond1x
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    That's like someone asking "WRX or STi?" and you respond with "Mitsubishi > Subaru"...let's keep the fanboy loyalty out of this forum please...there's enough of it from both sides on various photography forums. Anyway...

The D1X was a badass camera back in 2001-2002...now, it's pretty dated. The D70 even has a small edge in overall resolution. The D1X has the nice built-in vertical grip and it's a true professional camera, but even its fps is the same as the D70. It's a tough choice...if you really need all the professional capabilities that the D1X has and you can get it for the same price as a used D70, I might just say go for it...but otherwise, I think the D70 will be more than enough for most every situation.

Here's a link to the DP Review of the D1X: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond1x

thanks, i have already read the reviews. just playing with the idea since the cost of them have come down and finding used D1X's for for not much more than the D70, which i already have.

i used to own a D1H and a D70, and now i just own a D2H. i also shot with the D1X at the paper i interned at (pretty much the same on the outside as the D1H).
    the D1X is much more rugged than the D70. go ahead and toss it into your backseat and drive around without worring about it smacking up against something. well whatever it hits might break but its very doubtful that the camera will. its also quite heavy, although designed very well ergonomically.
    the D70 pretty much rocks all around. its not as rugged but its much lighter, and IMO will do 90% of what even any pro could ask of it. the image quality is going to be very close to the D1X... i'd guess it'll be better because of newer technology and cleaner pixels, but i'm not positive on that. the only thing its lacking is the FPS, but so is the D1X, and thats really only if you shoot sports.
    so, IMO, unless you have a specific need for the D1X i'd recommend against it. its older and its much heavier, and i dont really see very many advantages to it, even though it is a 'pro' camera. the D70 is just incredibly impressive and digital has come a loooong way in the past few years.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

thanks...i guess i'll wait until the D200 appears from vaporware