New Camera / something has to go
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Camera / something has to go within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I ordered a 1D MkII yesterday, which puts me at 4 Canon digital SLR bodies; 1-D60, 2-1D and 1-1D ...

New Camera / something has to go

Hey,

I ordered a 1D MkII yesterday, which puts me at 4 Canon digital SLR bodies; 1-D60, 2-1D and 1-1D MkII. I'm considering parting with my personal Canon 1D and wanted to offer it here first, if anyone is interested. The D-60 may go, as well.

Do not be fooled by the 4 megapixel sensor rating. The CCD sensor and pixels are larger (1.3 crop factor Vs. 1.6 for 20D) than other pro-sumer and consumer level Canon and Nikon cameras; IE: 20D, N70 Nikon, Digi-Rebel, for example. 24 x 36 posters from 1D without up-rezzing files are no problem.

The Canon 1D digital SLR is a professional tool designed for speed and accuracy intended for use by Sports and Photojournalist photographers. It is as solid as a brick and until the 1D MkII had the fastest auto focus system of any camera on the market. The 1D has landed images on more covers of Sports Illustrated, as well as double-trucks inside, than any camera in the world. It has been the standard since introduced in September of 2001.

So, I'm testing the waters here. Even between my son & me we just don't need 4 digital SLR bodies. $1500 is the going rate, with the low end being $1250 for a beater and ~$1800 for a pristine, low frame count model. Mine is a 9 out of 10 cosmetically and a 10 functionally. I will check the frame count tonight when I get home. I have installed custom Tone Curves to correct green/blue color casting which was common to this model.

Interested parties can contact me at actionphotosracing@cox.net for additional info and pictures of the camera. The camera will be sold complete, with everything that Canon shipped in the box: body, charger, battery, AC coupler, software, etc. It will move quickly once posted on the photography sites, so, act quickly if interested.

Go here for further info: http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/EOS1D/1D-e.html

Thanks,

Curtis
    Last edited by TurbeauxREX; 10-21-2005 at 09:04 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yea thats a good price. i would deff get rid of the 60D and 1D or both 1D's. and get a 20D or 1Ds markII.

The D60 is kinda sentimental; my first digital SLR. It cost a small fortune (then) and I had to pre-pay and get on a waiting list. It's had so little use it's a shame. So, it's a little harder for me to part with. Besides, that's the camera I lend out to family and close friends so they can shoot at a little higher quality than point & shoot when they need the focal range of interchangeable lenses.

As for your suggestion regarding selling my 1D bodies in favor of the 20D or 1DsMkII, I did consider a 20D, but now that I'm accustomed to the heavier (IE: stronger) bodies, I can't go back. The size and wieght feels good in the hands and very balanced when using larger, heavier L-series lenses. The bigger glass on smaller bodies feels off-balance to me, and the addition of a vertical grip doesn't quite do it for me, either. Besides, there have been many problems with the 20D grip, finally being addressed by Canon after 11ty-2-million complaints world wide.

The 20D does make beautiful images (which is why I went to the 1DMkII - DIGIC 2 processor), but on a build-quality level, it's a newer D60. Same size sensor and body. Built with composite shells versus magnesium and titanium of the 1 series. In the Canon line, the 1 series bodies are as good as it gets and is a camera that will last a long time under heavy, everyday use. It is a tool, pure and simple. Unfortunately, the technology moves so fast that it draws you in to buying newer bodies every couple of years.

The 1DsMkII doesn't interest me at all. Reason being I shoot motorsports almost exclusively and my son shoots m-sports and High School football, soccer & volleyball. The 'S' model was designed for the studio shooter as an alternative to the medium format film market. While the file sizes are huge, the camera is slow (auto-focus and frame rate) and doesn't fit my needs. Plus it's much more expensive than the D series (new for new). You can currently buy a 1Ds for ~$3000, used, or about the same price as a used
    1DMkII.

Different strokes.

Peace,

Curtis

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.