Buying my first camera!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Buying my first camera!! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've done some research and I am planning to buy the Panasonic DMC-FZ30. It's got 12x zoom which will be ...

Buying my first camera!!

I've done some research and I am planning to buy the Panasonic DMC-FZ30. It's got 12x zoom which will be useful when I am taking pics of my buddies snowboarding,skating,biking. It's also 8 mp so i should be able to get some nice looking pics.

What do you guys think? Also any tips for someone new to photography?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From the DPreview's http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/ review it looks like a pretty solid camera with all the cutting edge bells and whistles.
    If you are new to photography then this should fit your skills and needs perfectly as it's got a great lens kit (35-420) that should let you cover all sorts of photography needs ranging from macro all the way to telephoto.

One great thing this camera has is the ability to shoot in RAW format. Once you try it you'll never want to go back to jpeg. The drawback is that you'll need more storage (1-2GB is a must) but it'll let you accomplish great quality of pictures and gives you the most powerful post-precessing abilities.

As far as action shooting in your case sport shooting it should be good as well. It lets you take 2-3 fps (frames per second) up to 9 images (~3-4 seconds of continous shooting buffer) which isn't bad and should let you capture some nice action shots. Couple it with a fast SD card to allow the buffer to unload quickly and you shouldn't miss any precious action.

Overall, at that price it is a good buy. Of course it'll always be bit behind a real SLR (Single-Lens-Reflex) such as Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D70 but for entry level photographer it is a good choice to practice on and should get you hooked up on photography.

For comparable money you could buy a used digital SLR; digi-rebel or D70. While a little more initial outlay, you can skip the re-investment should you want to go the SLR route. With the fast-changing digital SLR market, good, low-use cameras are available.

Check www.robgalbraith.com forums (Trading Post) or some of the other photographer sites. You can go the e-bay way, but buyer beware.

Good luck.

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by TurbeauxREX
    For comparable money you could buy a used digital SLR; digi-rebel or D70. While a little more initial outlay, you can skip the re-investment should you want to go the SLR route. With the fast-changing digital SLR market, good, low-use cameras are available.

Check www.robgalbraith.com forums (Trading Post) or some of the other photographer sites. You can go the e-bay way, but buyer beware.

Good luck.

Curtis
    That's a good advise too. I didn't want to mix it in my post and cause any confusion. He could buy a slightly used or even brand new Canon Digital Rebel 300D (the earlier model) for about $600 - $700. Of course that would sacrifice the lens power since if i'm not mistaken the 300D comes with 28-55mm and the learning curve would be steeper but the final outcome would be uncomparable to any other point-and-shoot cameras.

maximum:
    The pixel resolution isn't really an issue for anything above 5MP. Printed and digital pictures above 5MP retain life like look as long as you don't crop. The only difference would be if you wanted to print posters 20X30 and above then a high resolution would be helpful.
    Also, look for such features as battery life. It's one thing many people I talk to overlook and after all what's a camera for if it can't power up or shutdown just when you want that precious shot.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went to a nearby camera store and they wanted $699 for the camera.
    So what did I do? I bought it online and I also purchased a camera bag and a high speed 2 gig SD card for a grand total of 740.

Sometimes I wonder why I still go to retail stores.

Awesome! Follow up with some nice shots...

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy
    Awesome! Follow up with some nice shots...
    +1

I'm interested in this camera as well. I was playing aruond with it but didnt get to take any shots.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

I hope to. I cant wait to bring it on the mountain, but for now ill just take pics of my Wrx

How do you like the camera dude? Easy/ hard to use? Clear pictures?

~myke

Quote Originally Posted by TurbeauxREX

Good luck.

Curtis
    i was just about to say this,
    and the whole MP hype is really unecessary unless you'll be printing these pix as posters
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Ok lets see if this works
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is my friends basement's great televison setup.

Here's my WRX-

No too shabby maximum!

Do you use it in full manual mode or auto focus etc?

~myke

Auto all the way. I'm going to the skatepark tonight so I should have some shots of my buddies riding. (you wont catch me though I sprained my mcl playing hockey 2 weeks ago and it still isnt 100%)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.