Just Ordered a Sweet Bogen Carbon Fiber Tripod!

This is a discussion on Just Ordered a Sweet Bogen Carbon Fiber Tripod! within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I dont know who would get excited about this except for maybe a few of you guys here... I have ...

Just Ordered a Sweet Bogen Carbon Fiber Tripod!

I dont know who would get excited about this except for maybe a few of you guys here...
    I have pretty heavy equipment and my current travel tripod just wasnt cutting it anymore. I did some shopping around which led me to Bogen, particularly their 3021BPRO tripod which is very sturdy at a medium to slightly heavy weight of 5.3 lbs, and still affordable at $150. I longed for a carbon fiber tripod but didnt think I was ready to spend the loot on one since I really dont shoot with a tripod all that often. Most CF tripods I have seen are $300-$400 or more so I really didnt dwell on it too much. I was all set to go and buy a 3021 today but before I went to pick it up I checked photo.net and saw a new Bogen 3443 CF tripod for sale for $225 shipped. It is their older model but is a very nice setup, and after going back and forth about it for a few hours I decided to take the plunge. It has basically all of the same features as the 3021 and is rated to hold the same amount of weight, but it tips the scales at only 3.5 lbs... a 30% drop in weight.
    A short review is located here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...rbon_one.shtml
    So anyways, I'm excited about this. It will be shipping tomorrow and I plan to have it before the weekend. I will be coupling it with a Bogen 488RC4 ballhead which I will be picking up used from a local store for $80, and that should make for a relatively lightweight, very stable setup.
    I shoot with a Nikon D2H and a 17-55 f2.8 and 80-200 f2.8, by the way. I also just picked up a 77mm circular polarizer which I am excited to start using while shooting local cars. The D2H, 80-200, new tripod and new polarizer should be a killer combo for this, the only thing in question now is the photographer.
    Here is a photo of the tripod and the ballhead:

Thanks for listening, just a little excited
    bryan
    Last edited by Wrinkleboi; 10-03-2005 at 07:50 PM.

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

awesome , i use a Tripod alot and i can tell you that will be sweet to have. at the lighter weight.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Good pick dude I'll have CF one someday
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Nice!!!!

I got a CF tripod and magnesium ball head from Amvona.com. They're "Dynatran" - no brand really, but a lot of people seem to like them. It's damn light and sturdy too. It weighs half as much as my old one so it's really nice for when I go hiking around.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

that is really pimp!

i have a couple little things from amvona and am very happy with them, however lately i have read some pretty bad things about their customer service. i also read that over time the latches and other components on their tripods loosen and dont operate as well any more. thats not acceptable for equipment that i need to rely on regularly so althoughi was tempted to pick one of those up i went to a name that i know and trust. to clarify, i bet its really sweet for the price, i'm just saying i couldnt risk it with this.
    anyways, yeah i'll post photos when i get it, haha... i feel so lame getting excited about a tripod but its the first CF thing i own! mad tite yo...
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    haha MAD JDM TITE CARBON FIBER YO!!!

Yeah, I've heard questionable things about Amvona, but for 80 bucks on ebay, i could not pass up a CF tripod.

Bogen/Manfrotto though is the BOMB
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

I have the manfrotto 458b, the one with the super fast extendable legs. i love it.

just found this thread again randomly and needed to correct a statement i made above. this tripod was no tthe first cf thing i own... my snowboard bindings are made completely of cf... they are old school burton x-base bindings... and they are uber light.
    anyways, ive been using the tripod for a while now and its great, i'm glad i bought it. i'm getting ready to pick up a monopod as well for automotive stuff mostly and think i have decided that the Manfrotto 680B fits my needs best... and for some reason its $52 on B+H as opposed to the $70 retail price that its listed at everywhere else.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Manfrotto are some dang good tripods. i have the 190ProB and love it. very solid, which makes shooting with low light and a heavy camera alot more enjoyable.

congrats on the new equipment