KATRINA Aftermath Photos - New Orleans
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on KATRINA Aftermath Photos - New Orleans within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; For anyone who's interetsed, I have just uploaded a new gallery of Katrina aftermath photos that I shot last weekend ...

KATRINA Aftermath Photos - New Orleans

For anyone who's interetsed, I have just uploaded a new gallery of Katrina aftermath photos that I shot last weekend in New Orleans. As this is my backyard, some of the photos are pretty disturbing. Others, somewhat amusing, or maybe just odd. The streets were littered with boats.

Just like the previous Katrina gallery I posted, I'm not looking for a critique, but rather sharing my personal experience through photos. I hope none of you ever have to experience what we are currently living.

http://www.pbase.com/cvbjr/katrina_no&page=all

As you look through the images, you will notice distinct stripes on the vehicles and buildings. This is from the gradual decrease in the water level throughout the city.

Peace,

Curtis

PS: this is the first Katrina gallery I posted:

http://www.pbase.com/cvbjr/katrina_jeffpar&page=all

Here's a few samples from the latest gallery -

A boat used for search & rescue, now abandoned on the trolley line that runs down Canal Street

One of the Kenyon International recovery teams returning from a Lakeview neighborhood. Kenyon specializes in body recovery.

Billings Flying Services PUMA wreckage on Bayou St. John

Sail boat stranded on The Point on Lake Pontchartrain

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Those are some crazy pictures. How did things hold up with Hurricane Rita, im not to sure of your area considering that hurricane was alittle further west.

The storm surge generated by Rita caused certain areas to re-flood, up to 8 - 10' deep due to the Industrial Canal levee breaking down again. Additional areas that did not flood during Katrina are experiencing flooding today; however, these are low-lying areas that tend to flood.

The re-flooding is expected to delay recovery of those areas (Orelans & St. Bernard Parishes) by 2 -3 additional weeks.

Peace,

Curtis

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Damn man...very powerful pictures again...thanks for sharing yet again...
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Dont get me wrong, I am sad for the loss of life, but dont build you GD city below sea level when you live near a major body of water.

Quote Originally Posted by thestruuus
    Dont get me wrong, I am sad for the loss of life, but dont build you GD city below sea level when you live near a major body of water.
    When you get your time machine working, we'll go back and tell them that before they started to develop Louisana.

Seriously, I agree that building a city below sea level isn't the best idea ever, but what exactly can they do about it now. It's not as if we can simply shut down all those cities and close off Louisiana. It's pretty necessary for the economy of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by thestruuus
    Most of the city was not originally built below sea level. The majority of major buildings and expensive houses are built in a horseshoe shaped region on higher ground, while the poorer areas tend to be in the low-lying (below sea-level) areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I'd love to have a tree house for adults in my backyard.

I feel for everyone affected.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    Damn man...very powerful pictures again...thanks for sharing yet again...
    Thanks, Armin. I really appreciate the kind words. I really admire the work that you do, so your compliments mean a lot to me. Thanks.

It took me almost a week to get around to working on these photos. The two days I spent touring New Orleans were very depressing. I grew up here and still frequent the city, although we live ~30 miles south-west in a little town called Bayou Gauche. Every time I sat down to start editing the pics, I'd just get disgusted and walk away. The depth of the impact of this storm is hard to fathom. Imagine losing your home, your possessions, your job all in the blink of an eye. Now, multiply that by several hundred-thousand people.

This is the front of Performance Subaru in New Orleans , located on Tulane Ave. The stripes on the round column (just left of my car) are indicative of the water level there, ~5 - 6 feet.

This is on Tulane at South Broad; the courthouse. It is also the prison, from where the prisoners came that were seen being held on an on-ramp until they could be moved to another prison. How ironic is the Hurricane Evacuation route sign with watermarks on it? Never thought I would see that.

The ground was covered with this slime in the days immediately after the water drained. This was in my sister's neighborhood where we tried to walk the three blocks to her house when we couldn't drive any further. We didn't make it 50 feet for fear of falling in that crap, which is what it smelled like.

This is yet another oddity produced by Katrina. Boats were everywhere they shouldn't be. This was the biggest one that we saw; ~50' offshore fishing vessel that came to rest between some palm trees. For whatever reason I started whistling the theme to Gilligan's Island when I saw this. I know it wasn't funny, it just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalNuke
    Most of the city was not originally built below sea level. The majority of major buildings and expensive houses are built in a horseshoe shaped region on higher ground, while the poorer areas tend to be in the low-lying (below sea-level) areas.
    Sort of true. The Lakeview area, which was submerged when the 17th Street Canal levee broke, is an affluent area. The area flooded by the Industrial Canal breach; the lower 9th Ward, St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes fit the profile of "poorer area". Further supporting the rich Vs poor controversy, these areas flooded again this week when Hurricane Rita came through. Greater efforts were made to prevent a repeat levee breach in the affluent areas, which did not flood again. Yes, the folks in the not-so-lucky areas are very pissed.

As for the higher ground, this characterizes the French Quarter, which is built closer to the Mississippi River levee, which is higher and experienced only minimal street flooding.

Peace,

Curtis

Crazy, crazy stuff! Thanks for posting this Curtis. It's hard to imagine the type, and severity, of the damage that flooding can cause. We had "the flood" here in middle GA back in '94, so I can relate on a somewhat limited scale compared to what you guys are seeing.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    That's some crazy stuff. The photos look like some post apocalyptic movie. It's something no one would ever think would happen to them. That courthouse shot I found to be really powerful.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Thanks, guys. The courthouse shot is among my favorites. It just looks so wrong. I think they should leave that sign as is, regardless of any renovation that takes place. It will be a haunting reminder of what can, and did, happen. I'm sure the "Katrina Stripe" will live on for a long time to come as a reminder.

Peace,

Curtis

Jesus. . . I really feel for the people in that region. . Two hurricanes. . and I thought I had a bad day today.

Every time I come back to this thread I see that sludge, and have to wonder what the hell is in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast