New Photos: Motocross
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Photos: Motocross within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; After seeing nothing but the four walls of our hotel room for 6 days I ventured out to the local ...

New Photos: Motocross

After seeing nothing but the four walls of our hotel room for 6 days I ventured out to the local motocross track here in north Houston, where we are staying since being evacuated for Hurricane Katrina. The track is awesome, with 3 full-sized tracks, 1 supercross and 2 pee-wee tracks, plus a lake for jet-ski and water skiing. It was good to just get out and shoot and forget about the death & destruction that has overcome my hometown.

Photos are here: http://www.pbase.com/cvbjr/tx_mx_905&page=all

Images are straight from the camera with only minor sharpening added when they were re-sized in Breezebrowser. No cropping done, yet, so composition may be somewhat askew in some of the images. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.

Peace,

Curtis

SAMPLES:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice shots man...panning's something I'm still trying to get the hang of
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

awesome shots that looks like fun
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

very good pans. what camera and lens.i cant think of much to criticize. some croping and a little toning and they are ready to be published in a mag

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Like the others said - your panning is great. especially in that 2nd shot to be able to follow the rider's trajectory. Great work!
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Sweet pans, nice and sharp. The only thing I notice is alot of the shots could benefit from some fill flash. Other than that they look AWESOME .
    Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Your comments regarding cropping, etc are well received. The images posted here and in my gallery were straight from the camera. I wanted to post them up ASAP as I had a couple of the mini-bike kids calling me asking "I'm so & so on bike XYZ.. Where's my picture?" So, no time for editing.

coolbeans: equipment - Canon 1D (original) w/ 70-200 2.8 L IS & 550 EX flash on the sky shots.

Ben: your comments on the fill-flash are well-received. I used it on the shots with the sky in the back ground; however, this was a tough shot due to shooting into the direction of the sun and wanting to maintain a slow shutter speed. I believe all of them were at 1/160th and slower. That was the best balance that I could acheive using only the cameras LCD and histogram. Not perfect, but plenty to work with, which I probably won't do (just because I hate editing). This outing was more therapuetic than anything else for me. We evacuated to Houston and had been sitting in a hotel room for 6 days. I just went to the track to forget about the death & destruction that I'm going back to later this week.

Peace,

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by TurbeauxREX
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. Your comments regarding cropping, etc are well received. The images posted here and in my gallery were straight from the camera. I wanted to post them up ASAP as I had a couple of the mini-bike kids calling me asking "I'm so & so on bike XYZ.. Where's my picture?" So, no time for editing.

coolbeans: equipment - Canon 1D (original) w/ 70-200 2.8 L IS & 550 EX flash on the sky shots.

Ben: your comments on the fill-flash are well-received. I used it on the shots with the sky in the back ground; however, this was a tough shot due to shooting into the direction of the sun and wanting to maintain a slow shutter speed. I believe all of them were at 1/160th and slower. That was the best balance that I could acheive using only the cameras LCD and histogram. Not perfect, but plenty to work with, which I probably won't do (just because I hate editing). This outing was more therapuetic than anything else for me. We evacuated to Houston and had been sitting in a hotel room for 6 days. I just went to the track to forget about the death & destruction that I'm going back to later this week.

Peace,

Curtis

Sorry to hear that Curtis . Photography / motorsports is definetly a good getaway I am sure. Hope all is well.
    Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

Very cool, as usual. Must be nice to get out like you said and forget about the recent events.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Thanks, Josh & Ben. Actually, we returned home on Wednesday night (9/07). Spent the day yesterday checking on my Dad's house and shooting pics in the surrounding areas - Metairie & Kenner in Jefferson Parish; pretty ugly. Military Police and National Guard are everywhere. I'll post some pics in a new thread as soon I as go through them.

Peace,

Curtis
    Last edited by TurbeauxREX; 09-10-2005 at 09:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.