Pictures.. suggestions.. comments? *no56K*
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pictures.. suggestions.. comments? *no56K* within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm trying to set up a small portfolio for some of my photos. I'm looking for suggestions of any type, ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Pictures.. suggestions.. comments? *no56K*

I'm trying to set up a small portfolio for some of my photos. I'm looking for suggestions of any type, composition, processing, etc. Is there any of them I should think about leaving out all together?

And why does photobucket insist on resizing some of them?? [edit]Figured out what was going on. Needed more compression.[/edit]

Last edited by MainFrame; 09-01-2005 at 02:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow, some great shots.

Someday I'll get a nice camera.

Awesome pictures! I wish I had a camera like that.
    2005 CGM STi

My camera's not really anything special.. this is the first time I've really focused on post processing in photoshop. I must say they do look better than before.

what is it a portfolio for? photography or post processing or what?
    i think you should leave out all of the car photos except for the last one where you just have the side of the car barely in the photo and the road ahead. i also think the 'dali' shot, the 'london eye' shot, and the shot directly below that should be taken out because your other shot of the bridge is much stronger and there's no need for redundancy. there is also a shot near the top that is in a field i think with sky and clouds... and its really yellow... unless you intended to do that which it doesnt seem like you did, do some color correction on that one. lastly, the shot of the mixer or whatever it is is more of a display of your post processing, not your photography. it doesnt really fit in with the rest of the group.
    with all of that said... you have some serously impressive stuff in here. i really like the one on the fence taken at night where you can even make out some stars in the sky. the london bridge is nice because of that restaurant or whatever it is thats the focal point in blue. i hope my critique helped, and i really really like a lot of your stuff. interested to see what the portfolio is for and what direction you plan to head with it.

remember: your portfolio is only as good as your weakest image. edit tightly because the weakest image will be the one that will stand out to your viewers and it will bring your portfolio as a whole down a notch.

bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    what is it a portfolio for? photography or post processing or what?
    i think you should leave out all of the car photos except for the last one where you just have the side of the car barely in the photo and the road ahead. i also think the 'dali' shot, the 'london eye' shot, and the shot directly below that should be taken out because your other shot of the bridge is much stronger and there's no need for redundancy. there is also a shot near the top that is in a field i think with sky and clouds... and its really yellow... unless you intended to do that which it doesnt seem like you did, do some color correction on that one. lastly, the shot of the mixer or whatever it is is more of a display of your post processing, not your photography. it doesnt really fit in with the rest of the group.
    with all of that said... you have some serously impressive stuff in here. i really like the one on the fence taken at night where you can even make out some stars in the sky. the london bridge is nice because of that restaurant or whatever it is thats the focal point in blue. i hope my critique helped, and i really really like a lot of your stuff. interested to see what the portfolio is for and what direction you plan to head with it.

remember: your portfolio is only as good as your weakest image. edit tightly because the weakest image will be the one that will stand out to your viewers and it will bring your portfolio as a whole down a notch.

bryan

Thanks for the comments. The portfolio isn't really for anything in particular. I've been thinking about taking some photography classes(I already took a digital manipulation class), and I figured it would be nice to get some of my stuff cleaned up and presentable.

Although I'm not sure if I want to get into the whole photography thing, because I already have two majors as it is.

This look better? That picture was horribly underexposed(it was nearly pitch black outside), so it's kinda hard to make it look good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01117COLOR.jpg  
    Last edited by MainFrame; 08-31-2005 at 01:01 AM.

a bit grainy. pick a pic you want critiqued

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    a bit grainy. pick a pic you want critiqued

umm.. the best one, and the worst one

wow your skills are uncanny.... if i were a magazine manager ide hire you on the spot!
    whats a signature?

Looking good Mainframe, just remember with noise ninja less is more . Some of the shots I can easily tell they have been ninjafied which IMO is a little too much (Like the Dali shot). You got some great stuff though! Keep it up .
    Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Compositionally, I would try to crop the 3rd & 4th ones so that the sun is not in the horizontal center of the photograph.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Hope you don't mind. The white balance seemed off in the first shot so I did an edit of it.

Before

After
    Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Yodaman
    Looking good Mainframe, just remember with noise ninja less is more . Some of the shots I can easily tell they have been ninjafied which IMO is a little too much (Like the Dali shot). You got some great stuff though! Keep it up .

I was a little worried about that. I've just been using the settings it was installed with and it seemed a bit strong at times.. I think if I used the noise brush a little more to mask more areas of the pictures it would be less noticeable and I would still get the desired effects. Just starting off it's hard to find the right compromise between too little, and too much processing.

I think I'm going to replace the Tower Bridge picture with a panaramic shot I've put together, but I need to clean up the seam a little more.. and I'm not sure what size to make it..

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I pretty much echo everything that's already been said. GREAT work, especially the night field one.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Okay.. I took this picture and started over from scratch to see if I could preserve some of the detail. But I'm having a hell of a time getting the pixelation out of the sky. If anyone feels like helping me I could send them the origional copy and see what you do with it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01117COLOR2.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast