New Canon 5D
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Canon 5D within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/ Got an extra k? This is the camera you're going to want...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

New Canon 5D

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/

Got an extra $3k? This is the camera you're going to want
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    hot cha cha!!!!!

I plan on owning one in about 20 years, so I guess I can put it in my signature.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

welp time to sell my 20d and get that .. haha yea right.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

mmmmmm FF 12.3 mpix means if I cropped the image to an 8.2mp image it would be exactly like a picture outputted from my 20D, meaning I would get an extra 4mpix border around my current images. /EM takes out credit card.
    Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

Actauly the 20d will be sharper. i kno the 20d is sharper then the 1DS after you crop it. The 20D sensor would be about 22MP if it was full frame. theres an artical aboot this in pop photography somewhere. my gf is getting the 5D tho so i will get to use it soon

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    Actauly the 20d will be sharper. i kno the 20d is sharper then the 1DS after you crop it. The 20D sensor would be about 22MP if it was full frame. theres an artical aboot this in pop photography somewhere. my gf is getting the 5D tho so i will get to use it soon
    I am totally confused by this. The crop factor on a 20D is 1.6 which would make the full frame sensor 13mp. Also why would the 20D be sharper? The sharpness is a factor of the glass you are using not the camera, obviously the 20D will only be using the good portion of the sensor so the whole image will look sharper but the 5D would have the same potential cropped wouldn't it? Let us know how it is!
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

From Phil at dpreview.com. :

Full frame

By 'full frame' we mean that the EOS 5D's sensor is (virtually) the same size as a 35 mm negative, this means that lenses used on the camera will produce the exact same field of view as they would on a 35 mm film camera (as they were designed). This is especially advantageous when shooting wide angle as we will get a much wider field of view than we would on a digital SLR which 'crops' (such a the EOS 20D). The diagram below demonstrates the difference in field of view between the EOS 5D and the EOS 20D using the same lens with a focal length of 17 mm. The EOS 20D would only be able to capture a portion of the center of the field of view produced by the lens, the EOS 5D captures the entire view.

Example of an picture taken with a focal length of 17 mm

On the downside a full frame sensor puts a higher requirement on the quality of the lens (as you are now also capture the 'less good' edge and corner of the view), with certain lenses this may lead to softness, chromatic aberrations and light fall-off near the edges of the image. Lastly many current digital photographers who don't shoot wide angle may appreciate the effective 'multiplication factor' produced with telephoto lenses (although obviously you can always crop an EOS 5D image in post processing).
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

From Phil at dpreview.com. :

Full frame

By 'full frame' we mean that the EOS 5D's sensor is (virtually) the same size as a 35 mm negative, this means that lenses used on the camera will produce the exact same field of view as they would on a 35 mm film camera (as they were designed). This is especially advantageous when shooting wide angle as we will get a much wider field of view than we would on a digital SLR which 'crops' (such a the EOS 20D). The diagram below demonstrates the difference in field of view between the EOS 5D and the EOS 20D using the same lens with a focal length of 17 mm. The EOS 20D would only be able to capture a portion of the center of the field of view produced by the lens, the EOS 5D captures the entire view.

Example of an picture taken with a focal length of 17 mm

On the downside a full frame sensor puts a higher requirement on the quality of the lens (as you are now also capture the 'less good' edge and corner of the view), with certain lenses this may lead to softness, chromatic aberrations and light fall-off near the edges of the image. Lastly many current digital photographers who don't shoot wide angle may appreciate the effective 'multiplication factor' produced with telephoto lenses (although obviously you can always crop an EOS 5D image in post processing).
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

pixils per inch. the 20D sensor has more pixils packed on it per inch or any measure of area you want to use, then the 1Ds or the 5D. The 20d just has a smaller sensor. if that makes sense. Thats why the 1Ds and 5D have the same size sensor yet the 1Ds has 4more megapixils. If you dont crop your image yes the 1ds will make a bigger print. but when you crop it to match the 20Ds sensor size the 20d's picture will have a higher resolution.

heres part of the artical about it

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...rticle_id=1410

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    pixils per inch. the 20D sensor has more pixils packed on it per inch or any measure of area you want to use, then the 1Ds or the 5D. The 20d just has a smaller sensor. if that makes sense. Thats why the 1Ds and 5D have the same size sensor yet the 1Ds has 4more megapixils. If you dont crop your image yes the 1ds will make a bigger print. but when you crop it to match the 20Ds sensor size the 20d's picture will have a higher resolution.

heres part of the artical about it

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?...rticle_id=1410
    Gotcha, it was the PPI throwing me off, didnt realize the resolution was not 1.6x the 20D.
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    some sample shots from the 5D

website is a little slow though

http://www.pixource.com/en/5D/5D_samples.html
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Well I am just waiting for some photogs to really put it to work and post some samples of fashion and glamour photos taken with it before I run out and buy one. You can check out the full review and some sample shots of the 5D here http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/

Quote Originally Posted by mball
    Well I am just waiting for some photogs to really put it to work and post some samples of fashion and glamour photos taken with it before I run out and buy one. You can check out the full review and some sample shots of the 5D here http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/
    Just out of curiousity why do you need samples of fashion and glamour photos? The image quality is going to be nearly identical to all of canon's professional line of cameras the differences are in the features which samples won't show you.
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

i hate you all for posting stuff like this...
    ... i can't even afford Canon 350 XT now
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.