I need a new camera.

This is a discussion on I need a new camera. within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alright so I need a new camera. Something around 6 or 7 mega pixels. I'm by no means a photographer ...

I need a new camera.

Alright so I need a new camera. Something around 6 or 7 mega pixels. I'm by no means a photographer so I just want something compact and simple. I was considering the Cannon powershot series. There seems to be a alot of people into photography on here so if you have any advice help me out.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I believe........6 or 7 megapixles is useless if you are an "everyday" user, like you describe. 6/7 = graphic designers printing on giant printers. It's overkill, and not worth the $$$.

Photography buffs, am I correct?
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I'm really just looking for something that will take decent pics at car shows and races and what not so perhaps 6/7 megap would be too high?
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have a look here: http://www.dpreview.com/

Verdugo sent me the link. Great, detailed info.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-25-2005 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I misspelled Verdugo :sorry: :embarrassed:

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you want a 6-7 MP point-and-shoot, the one that comes to mind is the Canon G6...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong6/

It's hard to beat when it comes to point-and-shoots.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Panasonic DMC FZ-20 or FZ-30.

i have the canon s70 which i got for free through one of those referral sites with 10 referrals. anyhow, i think its around 450 dollars last time i checked, and its 7.1mp, and can control shutter, ap, iso etc.

also check out

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    I believe........6 or 7 megapixles is useless if you are an "everyday" user, like you describe. 6/7 = graphic designers printing on giant printers. It's overkill, and not worth the $$$.

Photography buffs, am I correct?
    Yes & no, if that's an answer. Let me explain:

You can always set the camera to shoot at a smaller file size (lower resolution); however, you can not set the camera to shoot at a higher resolution than what the sensor is capable of producing. Your point about the large prints is well taken, but....

Say you take a shot and it's a once-in-a-lifetime, absolute greatest image you've ever shot and you want to print it in, oh, 36 x 48 or something larger. Your only alternative if shot with a lower resolution camera (3 - 4 mp) is to up-rez it through software, which introduces noise into the image. If you shoot at a higher rez (5 - 7 mp or ???) you have a better base to start with and one less obstacle to overcome in getting to your final product.

As for whether it's worth the money or not, that's a tough one. Bottom line is get what you want and can afford the first time around. It's always cheaper than buying it the second time.

Lastly, if all you ever want to do is post pics on the web and email them to fam/freinds, 3 mp is plenty, and cheaper. Same goes for making small prints (</=5 x 7) vs large ones.

Peace,

Curtis

curtis, what do you think of the camera i mentioned (taking this from my other thread)? i think it is cheaper and might do for him just as well, no?

Registered User LostInPeriphery's Avatar
    i agree that unless you plan on taking proffessional pictures, don't bother with high megapixel cameras.... when you talking about what you'll be using them for, mostly screen viewing, and maybe some prints, surely never any bigger than an 8x10, the difference between a 7 mp camera and a 3 megapixel camera will be none.

basically, more resolution, means BIGGER pictures, not necessarily clearer. that also means, bigger file size too. you'll only notice a difference in clarity once you start blowing them up larger than 8x10.... it seems to me resolution is a gimick they use to sucker people into using that as a guage of the camera's quality

don't judge a camera by its resolution... image quality is going to come from alot of other aspects... how clear the colors are, how well it focuses and exposes an image, interface, zoom, etc... megapixel.net has great reviews

My favorite manufacturers are fuji and nikon for picture quality. the sony's colors tend to be a bit washed out though overall they are also nice cameras imo, and some olympuses i've used had horrible exposures.

Fuji finepix s5100
    -4mp
    -10x optical
    -manual mode
    -reasonably priced
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B0002AHQM8.01-AIWHEFKG4HT6N._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    every time anyone asks to drive my car - even valets I say "no". when they say "what's the big deal?" I say "would you let someone wear your underwear? would you let someone have sex with your girlfriend? ....same thing."

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    I would recommend anything from the Canon Powershot series that fit your needs.

the models they have with the flip-out swivel LCD's are great. When i went to the NAIAS last January, I found it invaluable in the crowds. I could just hold the camera up high and look into it and get a decent shot over everyone. Same thing goes for those low shots..it's nice to just flip the lcd out instead of laying on the ground.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    Alright so I need a new camera. Something around 6 or 7 mega pixels. I'm by no means a photographer so I just want something compact and simple. I was considering the Cannon powershot series. There seems to be a alot of people into photography on here so if you have any advice help me out.

You'll probably never need that many mega pixels.. how often are you going to want to print something 36 x 48? And how many people even have access to a printer that size it their home?

I'm using a Sony with only 4 mega pixels and that's plenty for my purposes.

I have a kodak z740 with 5.3 megapixels and 10x zoom. it takes great pictures and has a lot of features that you can actually use...
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth