Aperture vs. Shutter / other photoshoot ?s
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Aperture vs. Shutter / other photoshoot ?s within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Can somone in laymans terms explain what this means in terms of taking pictures in daylight vs. nighttime? Also, any ...

Aperture vs. Shutter / other photoshoot ?s

Can somone in laymans terms explain what this means in terms of taking pictures in daylight vs. nighttime?

Also, any suggestions for places to take pics of my car tommorrow once i get the wheels on? i was thinking near the beach...suggested ways i should turn the car, etc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

aperature and shutter are both light conrtol devices on a camera. the shutter can be set to allow light to expose the film for an X amount of time. the aperature controls how much light can get threw the lens in that given time. on a lot of lenses the aperature will range from around 1.2-1.4(all the way open) to around 11 (all the way closed)

for example if your shooting on a bright sunny day you wouldnt want to have a wide open aperature with a slow shutter speed.

if you set your shutter to 500 (500's of a second) than you will need to set the aperature to the correct opening. you can do this by using a light meter. some cameras have built in ones, if not you can buy a seperate one. the light meter will tell you the appropriate aperature for the 500 shutter speed to get the correct exposure on the film based on film speed, light, ect

when shooting motion you want to use a faster shutter speed to "capture" that moment. if your shooting a moving car with a 1/60th shutter speed than it may have a blur to it. 250-500 should be good for most fast moving odjects....light permitting. your not goign to go using a 500 shutter speed at night.

for taking still pictures of sceanery the aperature can have a big effect on the look of the photo. you will need to know about depth of feild. if you want to have alittle to know depth of feild (just the object your shooting in focus everything around infront and in back out of focus) it will make the thing your shooting stand out from everything else. you can achieve this with an open aperateure. 1.2, 2.4, ect. but with that open aperature remember you have to speed the shutter up in bright conditions to not over expose the film. if you want a depth of feild(everythign in focus), than use a more closed aperature, 5.6, 8, 11, ect. remeber to adust the shutter speed according to the light.

for shooting at night, you want to always have the aperature as open as possible when shooting any motion so you can use to the fastest shutter speed for the amount of light.

if your using a flash that is seperate from the camera make sure the flash timing in synced up with the shutter speed.

there is also long exposure shots at night that can give the picture a cool effect if done right. i dont feel like oging into detail on those becuase i feel as if i just tought a whole session of beginner photography.

here are some photos i have taken. including one of me riding my bike
    Last edited by rbwrx; 12-29-2005 at 12:44 AM.

ok, lets say that i am taking a picture of my car, and its overcast outside, to the point that it would come out REALLY dark if i didnt adjust the shutter. im trying to focus on just the car...the aperture would be closed or open (best)? and if i wanted everything in focus?

and say im taking a picture in complete darkness of my car, or minimal light like a parking garage type yellow light...what settings? (bearing in mind the car wouldnt be moving)

if you want everything in focus than you want a smaller aperature. bigger the number, smaller the aperature. and you would want to adjust the shutter to allow enough light in for the picture. try like a 5.6 aperature with a 125 shutter speed. if its one of those really dark cloudy days you can ever step it down to 60 for the shutter speed. just make sure the camera or car isnt moving.

in a parking garage you can get some cool effects if you leave the shutter open for mabe 1/2 - 1 second. the lights will be over exposed, but every thing else should be good.

if your using a flash than you can use a faster shutter speed.

im using a canon powershot s70, the flash options are from 15" to 1/2000 (thats what it shows on the screen) and on the apt from 4.0 - 8.0.

bump

with an SLR your aperture range is about 2.8 - 32. the rule is at F 16 in sun your shutter speed will = your iso. so iso 100 will mean your shutter will be 1/100 at F16. you can only go to f 8 and you are probably shooting at 100iso. thats 2 stop brighter then F 16 so your shutter speed in day light is 1/400. if your at 5.6 it will be 1/800. Open shade is abotu 3 stop darker then sun. so your shutter speed at F8 would be 1/50. or 1/100 at F5.6. Lucky for you, you have digital so just take some test shots and look at them on the lcd. and im sure theres a function to look at the histogram of your pictures. turn that on and it will tell you where you have detail. Search photoshop or digital photography histogram on google if you dont understand what that is. Shoot your car at sunset or over cast conditions. it gives you soft light and shiny things like cars need soft light.

dont use flash, unless its 12 noon and your shooting the side of the car thats in the shadow. Flash is a hard light and sucks for cars.

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    with an SLR your aperture range is about 2.8 - 32. the rule is at F 16 in sun your shutter speed will = your iso. so iso 100 will mean your shutter will be 1/100 at F16. you can only go to f 8 and you are probably shooting at 100iso. thats 2 stop brighter then F 16 so your shutter speed in day light is 1/400. if your at 5.6 it will be 1/800. Open shade is abotu 3 stop darker then sun. so your shutter speed at F8 would be 1/50. or 1/100 at F5.6. Lucky for you, you have digital so just take some test shots and look at them on the lcd. and im sure theres a function to look at the histogram of your pictures. turn that on and it will tell you where you have detail. Search photoshop or digital photography histogram on google if you dont understand what that is. Shoot your car at sunset or over cast conditions. it gives you soft light and shiny things like cars need soft light.
    some of this post confused me because my camera can also shoot from 50 - like 400 iso, so now you made iso sound like the same thing as shutter speed and i thought it was a different animal?

a wider lense or zoomed out lense will give you more depth of field. longer lense or zoomed in will help blur the background out

a wider lense or zoomed out lense will give you more depth of field. longer lense or zoomed in will help blur the background out
    so what apeture/shutter setting do you suggest for my car in overcast settings?

Iso is how fast it pics up light 50 is slowest 400 its fastest. but the faster it is the more noise and grain you get. to iso 50 is the best quality use it unless you need to freeze action in low light then you use 400. 50 is a stop slower then 100 so if you use that. you will need to cut your shutter speed in half. at 100 ISO at F 8 shuter speed is 1/400. at iso 50 it will be 1/200. OR you could stay at 1/400 and freez action more and change the aperture to F 5.6

Quote Originally Posted by 05WRX0704
    so what apeture/shutter setting do you suggest for my car in overcast settings?
    iso 50 at f5.6 at 1/100. if its really over cast then 1/50 or 1/60. just look at your LCD if its too bright then speed up the shutter speed. your Aperture range sucks so you wont notice too much difference in the focus from 5.6 to 8. i would just use 5.6 so i can use faster shutter speeds

iso 50 at f5.6 at 1/100. if its really over cast then 1/50 or 1/60. just look at your LCD if its too bright then speed up the shutter speed. your Aperture range sucks so you wont notice too much difference in the focus from 5.6 to 8. i would just use 5.6 so i can use faster shutter speeds
    thanks ill try it

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    While we all can make suggestions, the best thing to do is trial and error. Overcast skies could have a lot of varying things too...time of day, shade, reflections...etc. See if your camera has a histogram...that'll help you get the right exposure too. I'd also suggest checking the tutorials stickied in this forum since they go into depth with aperture, shutter speed, and depth of field, including sample pictures.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.