Photo shoot: first attempt at shooting raw & post processing (no dialup)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Photo shoot: first attempt at shooting raw & post processing (no dialup) within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Some of these were horribly underexposed (the driving ones), and I tried my best to salvage them. Let me know ...

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar

Photo shoot: first attempt at shooting raw & post processing (no dialup)

Some of these were horribly underexposed (the driving ones), and I tried my best to salvage them. Let me know what you think...

Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice work. I especially like #2 & 7. The reflection in the side of the car in #2 is incredible. Really dig the perspective in 7. The first shot is cool, too, except for the damn pole growing out of the hood.

Peace,

Curtis

pretty sweet, and for first attempt its really good.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbeauxREX
    The first shot is cool, too, except for the damn pole growing out of the hood.
    fixed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails web_0114-02.jpg  
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think your composition is great, but the post-processing could be a little cleaner. There's a little too much unsharp mask going on, making the edges all jagged. Something's weird about your color too...can't quite put my finger on it. Might be a white balance issue, a contrast issue, or both. For #4, you also wanna turn your wheels the other way
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    I think your composition is great, but the post-processing could be a little cleaner. There's a little too much unsharp mask going on, making the edges all jagged. Something's weird about your color too...can't quite put my finger on it. Might be a white balance issue, a contrast issue, or both. For #4, you also wanna turn your wheels the other way
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I've never tried post-processing with RAW files before, and I'm trying to read up as much as I can. I've found different people using widely different techniques with Unsharp mask, so I really had no clue what I was doing with it.

Would you suggest a smaller radius and low percentage with a few passes?

I also really need to calibrate my monitor at home. Something FIERCE. I know it doesn't look right, and I was trying to get the white balance to look normal on that. Do you know of any good tools to calibrate other than Adobe Gamma?

Thanks again, man
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

awesome pics man. makes me think of my car when i look at those pics. great job.
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

Blobeye Syndicate #23

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I've never tried post-processing with RAW files before, and I'm trying to read up as much as I can. I've found different people using widely different techniques with Unsharp mask, so I really had no clue what I was doing with it.

Would you suggest a smaller radius and low percentage with a few passes?

I also really need to calibrate my monitor at home. Something FIERCE. I know it doesn't look right, and I was trying to get the white balance to look normal on that. Do you know of any good tools to calibrate other than Adobe Gamma?

Thanks again, man
    Can't really say on calibration tools...my monitors always came with a CD to calibrate with, and on my Mac calibration is built-in.

As far as USM goes, I tend to leave mine at 50%, radius of 1 pixel, and a Threshold of either 0 or 4. If it needs a little bit more sharpening, I'll bump it up to 85%, but that's about it. I never do more than one pass. The most important thing is to avoid letting things get jagged. If a photo still isn't sharp without the jaggies, then it's probably a fault of either your lens or simply not holding the camera steady enough. I've thrown out a good number of pictures because of my soft 70-300mm D or the fact that I was breathing, causing pics to be just a little too blurry.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

yea over sharp and looks like over use of shadow highlights filter. I throw the percentage up and pull it back till the sharpening looks normal

thanks for the feedback fellas
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Nice shots chanwahyaoh. It definetly looks like there is too much sharpening going on and be very careful with the shadow/highlight tool because it can make your images very flat, try not to use much at all if you can avoid it. For monitor calibration I am going to be picking up a Spyder2Pro next week which is a hardware calibration tool which I can use to calibrate all my monitors to look the same, I will let you know how it works. Good first attempt and stick with it!
    Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

nice pics....extremely nice. those te-37s are the sh1t.

EDIT: they are gram lights.....still nice rims.
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

Really nice pictures, the place in the first few photos looks like a great place for photos.
    tim price
    Blobeye Syndicate #100

Quote Originally Posted by br3ez
    nice pics....extremely nice. those te-37s are the sh1t.

EDIT: they are gram lights.....still nice rims.
    these pics make me so damn jealous i hav ethe SAME ones in gold that i have been waiting forever. i must say, they remind a bit of my last wheels, in that the design of the wheels tricks the mind into thinking they might be a bit smaller than they actually are.

i love how on this forum everyone here seems to be so knowledgable about cameras and photography in general - on other forums not so much!

its great, ill have to post a feedback thread as well, when i get my wheels on!

nice pics, on a side note, where did u get those rays center caps =p im dying to find those.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.