Ferrari Boxer 512BB
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ferrari Boxer 512BB within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Some pics from this weekends shoot with a Boxer 512BB. All images from the shoot are here. http://photos.forcephotography.com/gallery/681103...

Ferrari Boxer 512BB

Some pics from this weekends shoot with a Boxer 512BB.

All images from the shoot are here.
    http://photos.forcephotography.com/gallery/681103

Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hot!
    -Lee

Nice pics, awesome car too.

Thanks guys, I dunno something seems off with the pictures to me. I think it may have been the harsh lighting or it could just be that I am getting a little bored with my own style and need to change it up some but whatever it is bothers me.
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hotness! Although the last one looks like you're off center a bit
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    Hotness! Although the last one looks like you're off center a bit
    And the level if off by about .3 degrees to the left. Come'on, Ben. I've grown to expect so much more from you.

Peace

Hehe, ya I really screwed the pooch on that whole series :P.
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

Quote Originally Posted by TurbeauxREX
    And the level if off by about .3 degrees to the left. Come'on, Ben. I've grown to expect so much more from you.

Peace
    not to mention that the car is *way* closer than 100 ft from those hoppers.

That really is one nice car!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I don't get it? :P Why does it have to be 100ft away from the hoppers? Is that some magic number for sweet bokeh or something? There were some gas tanks about 5 ft in front and to the left of the car so I couldn't give it any more DOF but I feel I need enlightening .
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Yodaman
    I don't get it? :P Why does it have to be 100ft away from the hoppers? Is that some magic number for sweet bokeh or something? There were some gas tanks about 5 ft in front and to the left of the car so I couldn't give it any more DOF but I feel I need enlightening .
    Re: 100ft to sweet bokeh

Kidding, right?

But, just in case, the data for the last file shows that you shot it @ f. 8 & 1/6 sec on ISO 100 on Aperature Priority. At f.8 with your 70-200mm lens you won't get a great deal of bokeh unless the background objects are far away, but I'm guessing by your comments that you already know that. Try shooting wide open (f.4 on your lens, I believe) and see what the difference is. Again, due to the minimal distance from your main subject to the background objets (trucks) you still may not realize very much blur (bokeh).

For future reference, bracket your shots. Especially on shots that cannot easily be reproduced, IE: people, action, etc. Try differing combinations by using Manual Mode and pushing the exposure to get the results you want. For instance, to attain a deeper depth of field, use a smaller aperature (larger number). To minimize DOF, do the opposite. If you look in the Canon lens manual, there should be a DOF guide to give you an idea of what combinations will result in a given DOF range, including fore/background in-focus distances. If not in the manual, go to the web site.

Another alternate is big glass. An image shot with a 200, then 400+ lens will look very different when the distance to subject to background is the same. The exception there; however, is the max aperature of the lens. My 70-200 2.8 IS has a better bokeh than my 100-400 4.5/5.6 IS when shooting at the long end of the range.

Bottom line, always try different combinations during any given shoot. There is nothing like seeing the results from the various settings when compared side-by-side. BreezeBrowser Pro has a cool comparison feature that will allow you to open up to 4 different images in the same window for this purpose. I think it's about $40 and is useful for RAW conversions, batch processing, etc.

One last hint. For great bokeh, pick up the basic Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. It's like $70 and the bokeh is great for shooting portraits at close range. The wider the lens will open, the narrower the DOF will be. Also, look in lensbabies. Pretty neat, cheap toy - $100. It allows you to pick the spot in your image that you want to be in focus, the rest is blurred-to-distorted, depending on how you use it. Check it out @ www.lensbabies.com

Peace,

Curtis
    PS: The 100 ft comes from the signs on the back of the truck.
    ================================================== =
    Photograph Details

Date Taken: 2005-07-23 19:39:34
    Date Modified: 2005-07-24 00:08:02
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 20D
    Size: 1309x725
    Bytes: 926441
    Aperture: f/8.0
    ISO: 100
    Focal Length: 131mm
    Exposure Time: 0.1666s (1/6)
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    Exposure Bias: 0
    ColorSpace: unknown

Nice pics. Definitely one of my favorite Ferraris.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by TurbeauxREX

Kidding, right?

But, just in case, the data for the last file shows that you shot it @ f. 8 & 1/6 sec on ISO 100 on Aperature Priority. At f.8 with your 70-200mm lens you won't get a great deal of bokeh unless the background objects are far away, but I'm guessing by your comments that you already know that. Try shooting wide open (f.4 on your lens, I believe) and see what the difference is. Again, due to the minimal distance from your main subject to the background objets (trucks) you still may not realize very much blur (bokeh).
    Ya, I know

For future reference, bracket your shots. Especially on shots that cannot easily be reproduced, IE: people, action, etc. Try differing combinations by using Manual Mode and pushing the exposure to get the results you want. For instance, to attain a deeper depth of field, use a smaller aperature (larger number). To minimize DOF, do the opposite. If you look in the Canon lens manual, there should be a DOF guide to give you an idea of what combinations will result in a given DOF range, including fore/background in-focus distances. If not in the manual, go to the web site.
    Always shoot bracketed RAW Manual and I have 500 shots total from the day so I have tons of different combos. At F4 the background is not really blurred any more and the car is less sharp so I would rather take the tradeoff of a sharper picture than a very minute amount of bkg blur, if I could have gotten the car further away from the buckets I would have used a wider aperture and blurred them a bit but I also felt the words on the buckets were cool so I decided to leave them sharp. I understand all the technical basics and actually if you want good info instead of going to Canon's site or reading the manual, check out dpreview.com.

Another alternate is big glass. An image shot with a 200, then 400+ lens will look very different when the distance to subject to background is the same. The exception there; however, is the max aperature of the lens. My 70-200 2.8 IS has a better bokeh than my 100-400 4.5/5.6 IS when shooting at the long end of the range.
    Obviously with a wider open aperture you will get better bokeh, the reason I shot alot of the front shots at 200mm instead of just using my 50mm or 17-40L is because the perspective is alot more fitting for the car at 200mm and makes it look more sporty. 200mm is my longest lens.

Bottom line, always try different combinations during any given shoot. There is nothing like seeing the results from the various settings when compared side-by-side. BreezeBrowser Pro has a cool comparison feature that will allow you to open up to 4 different images in the same window for this purpose. I think it's about $40 and is useful for RAW conversions, batch processing, etc.
    I like photoshop CS2 Camera RAW alot better .

One last hint. For great bokeh, pick up the basic Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. It's like $70 and the bokeh is great for shooting portraits at close range. The wider the lens will open, the narrower the DOF will be. Also, look in lensbabies. Pretty neat, cheap toy - $100. It allows you to pick the spot in your image that you want to be in focus, the rest is blurred-to-distorted, depending on how you use it. Check it out @ www.lensbabies.com

Peace,

Curtis
    PS: The 100 ft comes from the signs on the back of the truck.
    ================================================== =
    Photograph Details

Date Taken: 2005-07-23 19:39:34
    Date Modified: 2005-07-24 00:08:02
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 20D
    Size: 1309x725
    Bytes: 926441
    Aperture: f/8.0
    ISO: 100
    Focal Length: 131mm
    Exposure Time: 0.1666s (1/6)
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    Exposure Bias: 0
    ColorSpace: unknown
    Ya I have the 50mm 1.8 and it serves its purpose but it is not on the same level of the 2 pieces of L glass I have in terms of sharpness. 50mm is great when trying to get that DOF, I just wasn't trying to in any of these shots. I will check out lensbabies, that sounds wierd :P. I just asked the question about what the 100ft was significant for cause I wasn't thinking about that sign .
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

nice pictures. but some of them dont do anything for me. i like the other ferarri pictures you took better.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

Kidding, right?

Oh, well. I guess I wasted my lunch 1/2 hour on that response. Good talk (bobs head like Chevy Chase talikng to his son - Ross? - in the first Vacation movie, right after he did the fly-over into the dessert.)

Peace,

Curtis

Haha sorry Curtis, lunch on me tomorrow!
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.