Opinions wanted: Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom and willoughbys.com

This is a discussion on Opinions wanted: Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom and willoughbys.com within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; After an informative PM discussion with Vertugo (thanks!), I have done a lot of reading on http://www.dpreview.com/ and other sites ...

I Support ClubWRX

Opinions wanted: Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom and willoughbys.com

After an informative PM discussion with Vertugo (thanks!), I have done a lot of reading on http://www.dpreview.com/ and other sites looking for a digital camera. I think I have decided on an Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc8080wz/ While SLRs (like the Nikon D-50) would surely take better images, I cannot justify spending quite that $ much based on how I am likely going to use a digital camera.

DPReview has a link to a retailer that they say helps support their site: http://www4.willoughbys.com/shop/pro...u=1000OLYC8080 Has anyone good / bad things to say about willoughbys.com?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Anyone? >>Insert the sound of crickets chirping here<<

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looks to be a very good camera. The only issue is the zoom, but that might not be too big of an issue to you. I'd say go with it
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Wow 8 mega pixels... why are you getting a camera with so many? I'm just being curious.
    -Eric
    Originally posted by lanevoell
    stand up for yourself, painter!
    Wesome +1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    Looks to be a very good camera. The only issue is the zoom, but that might not be too big of an issue to you. I'd say go with it
    Thanks!

The other cameras in the comparison of five comparable 8 megapixels at dpreview had more zoom, but the Olympus has the best lens (and total image quality) according to the author. 5X versus 7 or 8X - no biggie (I think). The Olympus had the best startup time, was the fastest overall performer and the longest lasting battery by far. $580 at Willoughby's (hope they are OK). I did eye up the D50 for a good long time. The Olympus is a comprimise.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey
    Wow 8 mega pixels... why are you getting a camera with so many? I'm just being curious.
    Arenít megapixels a little like processor speed and RAM in a computer? Iím getting the most I can afford now. Itíll give me big images with more cropping room Ė to partially compensate for the weaker zoom maybe?

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    A high amount of megapixels is mostly marketing. The higher the megapixels, the larger your print size can be without loss of quality. However, for 8 MP, you're talking like a 30x20" picture with no quality loss...3.2 MP is good for your standard 4x6" prints. I'm not a big fan of cropping down large megapixel pictures...but if you shrink down from a high megapixel into something web size, the clarity is astounding.
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

I Support ClubWRX
    A high amount of megapixels is mostly marketing. The higher the megapixels, the larger your print size can be without loss of quality. However, for 8 MP, you're talking like a 30x20" picture with no quality loss...3.2 MP is good for your standard 4x6" prints. I'm not a big fan of cropping down large megapixel pictures...but if you shrink down from a high megapixel into something web size, the clarity is astounding.
    Yes, I have read about the marketing angle as well. Isn't the trend more megapixels, as in RAM and processor speeds in a PC? I will likely print few images; just view and share on a PC. Isnít cropping down keeping the same (or smaller) resampling size OK? I know cropping and increasing the resampling (pixel) size results in a lesser quality image. Iím not sure of some of the terminology here Ö

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd say it's more like RAM than processor speed. It's all about the potential of the camera's quality, but as you know, so many other factors go into it too. As long as you keep the original sample size, you won't lose quality...but shrinking down overall improves the resolution and gives a crystal clear image.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd say it's more like RAM than processor speed. It's all about the potential of the camera's quality, but as you know, so many other factors go into it too. As long as you keep the original sample size, you won't lose quality...but shrinking down overall improves the resolution and gives a crystal clear image.
    OK, thanks as always! Hmmm Ö I do have access to a large plotter at work (rubs hands together in a sinister, diabolical manner) Ö