Canon D60 or 300D?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Canon D60 or 300D? within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Decided to step up and get a DSLR. Kind of a 'noob' so far but I have been researching and ...

Canon D60 or 300D?

Decided to step up and get a DSLR. Kind of a 'noob' so far but I have been researching and narrowed it down to these two models. Played around with my friend's D60 and loved it, but I've also heard good things about the 300d. What do you guys think I should pick and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Having a D60 and several friends with 300D (digi-rebel) I can speak to this a little.

I bought my D60 when first released; $2200 and had to pay half up front and get on a waiting list. Conversely, I bought my first 1D when they were being discounted before the 1D Mk II was released; $2500 and five times the camera. Live and learn. Anyway.

D60 Vs 300D (Digi-Rebel)
    Hands down, the D60 is a tougher-built camera. Period. It was introduced in 2002 as a pro-sumer offering, meaning, it's price point was suitable to serious amatuers and the build was strong enough for limited pro usage. Functionally, the camera takes great photos with minimal post-editing, but suffers in low-light focus ability, especially without a canon flash on the hot shoe (which has a focus-assist beam).

All my friends with the digi-rebel love it. It's light wieght, compact and makes great photos straight out of the camera. It has the same resolution as the D60 (6.? MP), but a newer technology processor, DIGIC-whatever-it-is. My biggest knock againt the D-R is it won't withstand much physical abuse with it's plastic body. If you are totally anal about your equipment and would never dream of "just setting it down" or actually dropping it, get a D60, 10D or 20D, or comparable Nikon DSLR.

Used cameras are really inexpensive right now with Canon and Nikon introdcing replacements on a regular basis. Even new cameras (<1 yr old) are being discounted by the OEM's. I saw a low-milage D60 for sale on galbraith today for $395. Look around.

As for what you should pick, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. It's your money, your decision. Check out www.robgalbraith.com for more info. They have forums for varying makes and models and will be able to answer any question you might possibly have. Read the threads, do a search, etc. Then ask questions, just like here.

Also, how are you set for computer equipment, printer, etc? This is as big a part (or bigger) than the camera.

If you have any more questions, post 'em up.

Peace,

Curtis
    Last edited by TurbeauxREX; 06-04-2005 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks for all of the info man. I am going to go with the D60, as far as computers...I'm set. I have Photoshop 9 and some other goodies. Thanks Again!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.