Canon 1D Mark II
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Canon 1D Mark II within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My 1d mark II is on it's way. OneCall.com sent it out yesterday. I purchased the 70-200 2.8 lens as ...

Canon 1D Mark II

My 1d mark II is on it's way. OneCall.com sent it out yesterday. I purchased the 70-200 2.8 lens as well as the 24-70 2.8. I purchased an extra battery, lens covers, and a few little things. Oh yeah, also a 580ex flash.
    Any of you pro's want to throw out what I should be buying to make this thing work to its potential? And what I should be doing to make sure I get what I am looking for.
    Big thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow thats some serious equipment. what kind of experience do you have? cameras dont make great photos, people do... if you understand where i'm going with that. i'll wait for your reply and then let you know what i think your next best move is.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Started shooting with a Pentax K-1000 when I was a kid. Actually traded an automatic camera I recieved for Chrismas when I was 10 to my dad who owned that K-1000.
    On my first magazine cover in 94. Hired as free-lance for various drag racing and boat racing publications in 96. On my first international magazine cover in November of 1998. My first full color photo in The National Dragster in 99 I believe. (I will have to check that.) Won various stupid awards, blah blah blah. I have been around the block. I prefer nothing automatic, and run everything I own fully manual. I currently use film cameras, and did not want to go digital without going digital for real. Not a half way, then re-buy everything again. But could not support the extra cash of going d1s mark II as merely a hobbyist. What I need more than a lesson in how to take photos, is what accessories are necessary, and what should I know in going full digital in the way of hardware.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    What accessories do you have right now, and what will you primarily be shooting? What kind of tripod and head? What about your equipment bag? What size compact flash cards?
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

ah ok, not trying to insult you i just took the gist of the post wrong i guess. i'd say that for me the things i have in my bag are a 1.4x converter, a circular polarizer, a relatively light tripod that is ok for my heavy camera, and of course the bag itself which is a mini trekker backpack and holds just the right amount for me. i also carry a clear plastic bag and a rubber band to throw my camera in when i have to shoot in the rain. earplugs for concerts when i have to stand right next to the speakers.
    oh yeah... CF cards... i believe that whatever size they are, you should have at least 4 as to not keep all of your eggs in one basket. with that camera you'll be going through a ton if you use the motordrive, so maybe 4 one gig cards? thats your call really, i know guys who only use one or two cards. i have mine in this great hard plastic card wallet. flip em over when they are full so i know what i still have to use and what i dont.
    everybody shoots differently and will need different things, but hope that helps...
    bryan
    p.s. on the computer you'll need a card reader, i dont think there is much difference between the name brand ones. also check out photo mechanic for choosing your keepers and then photoshop of course.

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Hey thanks. That is the type of information that I need. Since I am new to the digital world, what seems to be the better of the cards, (or maybe in better terms, which cards to stay away from)? Also, thanks for the tip of the number of cards. The number of cards is something I was completely ignorant of. I am sure I would have learned the first time to the track, how many cards are really needed. But I would have only taken two. (What I now have.) Would be a bummer to head out and be full on both cards half way through, then have to switch back to film. I also do not have a polarizer of any sort yet. I was going to look into that.
    Thanks for the info. I should have some pics to share in a few weeks.

Woops, and to Vertigo-
    I will be mainly shooting drag races. An occasional boat race, and whatever I feel like that day. I pretty much am out of the shooting for magazines and writing stories, etc. I just shoot for a hobby and my own entertainment any more.
    I have two one gig cards right now, I fairly heavy tripod that I never ever use. It is to the point that I do not even bring it along. I do not have a bag for the Canon yet. I wanted to see the sizes of lenses and total accessories and that type of thing before I get into a bag. I was even thinking about a hark case. One of the weatherproof ones. Bags can still get things dinged some times. This stuff may not be high dollar to some, but I would rather not have too much of it hurt in transit or moving around. I have two bags right now filled with film k-mount stuff. I kinda want this to be totally seperate from those bags.
    Last edited by Wannabe; 05-31-2005 at 08:45 AM.

I am jealous, please post pics when you get it. The 70-200 2.8 is a great lens as is the WA you got. I am not sure how many pictures you actually take but I have run out of space on my 4GB card before so make sure you get enough storage total regardless of how many cards you get. I just got the Compu Trekker Plus AW for a bag and it fits all my stuff with ease and it is very well padded. If you are doing alot of motion shots for the drag racing / boat racing I would HIGHLY reccomend getting a monopod so that when you are panning you only get horizontal motion not vertical. Oh, I would also grab an op-tech camera strap as they are 100x better than the canon one and you can detach/re-attach it in 2 seconds. Enjoy the new beast!
    Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

sandisk and lexar both make good cards. the sandisk has an Ultra II (or maybe the III is out now?) and they also make an Extreme model, either of which would be good for high speed shooting. Lexar makes an 80x card that is good as well but i dont know too much about it.
    how much space you'll need really depends on how you shoot. for example, if you're going to shoot raw files you're going to take up a lot more space. or if you like to really take advantage of the motor drive you'll take up more space as well.
    the best way to figure out the equipment you need is to go out and shoot withi what you have and you'll quickly realize the gaps that need filling in. i think 2 gigs of cards with the camera and lenses you have is a really solid starting point.
    bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

That's the camera of my dreams lol. A buddy of mine has it and there is no camera that even comes close in terms of image quality. I need 2 win the lotto so I can get one of those babies.

Please post some pix up later so we can all drool.

ahemD2Xahem

www.TriStateTuners.com

Tracking after the long weekend states that it will be at my doorstep on the 2nd. And FedEx usually comes during the early morning here. So I am hoping to get it then.
    Thanks for all of the help. This going digital is a little new to me. I will post some pictures of everything after I get it all set up.
    Not certain when my first big event will be, but I will let you know and post pics. I just finished the new titanium motor plate for the caddy. I will have it out next weekend. Maybe I will let my brother drive it so I can get some pictures with the new set-up. And do some tire testing while I am there.

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    ahemD2Xahem
    I <3 you
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    for carrying my gear i use pelican cases
    i use the one that can be hand carried onto planes etc
    awesome as a seat or to stand on if a lil xtra height is needed

btw awesome gear you purchased *jealous
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Did you forget the computer?

Congrats on the purchase, wannabe. It's a great starter kit. j/k I've been shooting canon digital SLRs since 2002 and am pretty familiar with the equipment. I find it odd that no one has mentioned COMPUTER needs. MkII @ 8M will absorb a lot of storage space quick. A normal weekend at the track will result in 2k pics for us and that's shooting very conservatively with no bursts, just single frame shooting.

Consider at least 2 hard drives for redundancy. As much RAM as you can swing and a P4 dual-whatever-it-is processor or a MAC; good large monitor and, well, you get the picture (no pun intended). Buying a digital camera gets you about one-third of the way there. You may also want a good photo printer (if you don't have one) and some software. The Canon bundled software is liked by some, never installed by others. Photoshop seems to be the norm.

Anyway, spend some time at www.robgalbraith.com in the Canon 1D specific forums to learn your way around the camera quickly. They also have a frequently-updated database of memory cards, sorted by camera make & model, from fastest to slowest. I carry smaller CF cards (1 gig and less) totalling 6 gig. I also bring a laptop when my son & I are both shooting so we can dump the cards, if necessary.

As a photographer, the basics are still the same. The equipment is different. You need to learn to read a histogram and know what the digital image will take and still net you a usable result (over/under exposure). Again, robgalbraith.com is an invaluable source supported by proffesional digital and amatuer photographers. To recommend only one thing, log into www.robgalbraith.com and, just like here, use the search function or just browse around to get your bearings straight, then start asking questions.

Peace,

Curtis

PS: on CanonUSA.com there is a free download, a guide called Getting the most from your Canon 1D series Camera, or something to that effect. Download and read it. It is written by Canon pros (not salesmen) who intimately know this equipment and what makes it work. It will give you some basic camera set-up info (we didn't turn that rock over, yet. Just wait.) as well as advanced user info. Very worthwhile reading beyond or before the owners manual (which >100 pages).

Your gonna love the camera, especially if you do a lot of sports/action photos. Def get a few CF cards because you will fill them very very quickly with this camera. Congrats
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast