Looking for a new DigiCam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking for a new DigiCam within the Member Show-Off & Photography forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, here are the cameras that have been recommended to me (based on what I will be using it for--a ...

Looking for a new DigiCam

Ok, here are the cameras that have been recommended to me (based on what I will be using it for--a little art, a little normal stuff--and what I'm looking for size-wise). I'm having a HUGELY rough time deciding what I want... 5MP or 7MP? Cheaper or more expensive? So here's what was recommended:

Nikon Coolpix 5900 $349.95
    Nikon Coolpix 7900 $439.95
    Nikon Coolpix 5600 $279.95 - not out yet
    Nikon Coolpix 7600 $369.95 - also not out yet

I realize they're all Nikon CoolPix cameras, but the recommendor owns a camera store (I used their pricing) and knows his stuff (and uses a CoolPix himself). And of the different kinds he showed me, these have the features I'm looking for (and a little more), though I wasn't able to actually see to x600's. I trust this guy and know he knows what he's talking about (I've known him since I was 5--his daughter is my best friend) and his family has been in the camera business since 1918 (haha yay for the website!).

I really wasn't planning on spending more than $400, but its tempting to get the 7900... but it's also tempting to wait for the 7600 and get that. ARGH! Decisions decisions!!

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just based on everything I saw looking through the links you sent it doesn't seem that there is a big difference feature wise between the camera more MP differences. I wouldn't really worry about a 7mp to 5mp difference, on print they will be pretty damn close. So I guess I would suggest the 5900 since it s a 5MP with a fast continous drive and larger focal range than the 5600.
    Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

Thanks... I was REALLY debating between the 5600 and the 5900 (the second is the one I like better). I'll probably just get that...

Plus, I don't want to wait anymore... I want to get rid of my bulky, slow, 2MP POS and get something new, small, fast and NOW!

I'll still take comments and suggestions... especially if anyone has one of these (or an earlier model). Tho it seems like EVERYONE and their mom is getting a digSLR

They are cheap now! You can get a Rebel for like $600 / body only.
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Yodaman
    They are cheap now! You can get a Rebel for like $600 / body only.
    right... i know that.

and there's a part of me that would love one, but spending 600+ on a camera and then adding the cost of lenses, cam bag other accessories i'd no doubt want... yea. no can do right now. plus, i love the idea of having a camera i can just throw in my purse or pocket and have whenever wherever. and i can always edit

I hear ya. When I first started looking I just wanted a small P&S too but I guess that evolved a little, oops.
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

I hear ya. When I first started looking I just wanted a small P&S too but I guess that evolved a little, oops.

I can understand why tho... for sure. And maybe eventually I'll do that too. Gah! Too many things I'd love to do!

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Just based on everything I saw looking through the links you sent it doesn't seem that there is a big difference feature wise between the camera more MP differences. I wouldn't really worry about a 7mp to 5mp difference, on print they will be pretty damn close. So I guess I would suggest the 5900 since it s a 5MP with a fast continous drive and larger focal range than the 5600.
    Very much agreed. The whole "more megapixels is better" thing is quite a myth. Honestly, you won't see a huge jump in quality unless you're doing big prints and if you're the type that likes to do a lot of cropping (I'm not).

I still have my old Coolpix 4500...treated me very well but it didn't have an autofocus assist light, so low-light pictures sucked. I'm glad Nikon has learned from that with their newer models
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I used to have a nikon also and it was pretty good. lasted about 4 years before I upgraded.
    -Eric
    Originally posted by lanevoell
    stand up for yourself, painter!
    Wesome +1

I do like to do a lot of editing/photoshopping but I think I'm going to just go with the 5mp (5900). I think it's a pretty good bang-for-buck, and I found it online for a lot cheaper than my best friends' dad has it. So I think I'm going to just get it today and have it shipped 3-5day I may also talk to my parents and see if they'll give me $$ towards it (or towards the credit card bill for it, haha) as an early birthday present.

As far as Nikon goes, if it's good enough for someone who has been in the camera business his whole life, it's good enough for me. But knowing that others have liked their cameras helps

Thanks for all the help.

Is it this cheap?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...113-126&depa=0

I always order from Newegg, they are a great vendor. Super fast shipping and super cheap prices, can't beat it!
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

Talking

That's pretty good, but I JUST ordered it* for $256 shipped off Buy.com (who my dad has used before).

<-- Excited!! It ships 3-5 bus days standard, so I should get it by next Friday!!

*I ended up with the Nikoc Coolpix 5900

Congrats . Be sure to post pics the day you get it! And buy.com is a good vendor too.
    Last edited by Yodaman; 04-08-2005 at 12:36 PM.
    Ben
    TurboXS Stealthback
    Short Shifter

Pictures | My Site

Congrats . Be sure to post pics the day you get it! And buy.com is a good vendor too.
    Yea I'm sure I will use it right away I can't wait to get it! They sent me the tracking and I've been able to hold off just watching it, but yea... I'm sure I'll do that Monday, Tuesday... till i get it!

I'm gunna have to get a new mem. card tho... I only have 1 256k card. i'll prob just get a 1gig card.

okie... bed time

Rach

Just so you know, this thread has inspired me to get a Coolpix 7600.

w00t! w00t! New Camera Stomp!!!11!
    Last edited by pputkowski; 04-11-2005 at 09:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast